Oliver Sorg-Cummulative Effects of Laser Email (DCNGA)

(Members Only) For more experienced members or those further along in their damage. Discussions of damage and supporting one another.

DISCLAIMER: This area is geared to those who've come to terms with their damage. What might be discussed in this forum may not apply to your situation. If you are experiencing anxiety from your situation or are not prepared to read what some have experienced, please do not read this section. If you are new, please post in the "New Members" section.

Oliver Sorg-Cummulative Effects of Laser Email (DCNGA)

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:57 pm

I wrote to the biochemist who wrote the paper on cummulative effects of IPL treatements. The paper is here under the Research section and entitled:

"Effect of Intense Pulsed-Light Exposure on Lipid Peroxides and Thymine Dimers in Human Skin In Vivo"

Below his is most welcome and interesting response. He is in Switzerland. He was kind and thoughtful enough to send this response to me regarding the stories on this forum:

Quote:
SORG Olivier to me
show details 3:18 AM (5 hours ago)

IPL is a technology that can be helpful for particular indications, and if used properly. The problem is that although the biology of interactions between these radiations and the skin is not completely understood, IPL is used for too many indications without knowing the long term effects, especially when using it on an iterative mode, which is the case for the rejuvenation.

I'm not a physician, but a biochemist, so I don't interact directly with the patients. The dermatologists of our department and other in private practice told me when discussing on the subject, that they used IPL only for some particular lesions on the skin for which a single shot is sufficient, but they avoid to use it on large body areas, as well as on an iterative mode, because we know too little on the long term effects for such a use of IPL.

When performing the clinical trial on the biological effects on IPL, we found that a single shot of IPL induced a high oxidative stress, and if not properly repared by the skin itself, which can be the case when using it often, this may lead to deleterious effects on the skin. For sure, more knowledge is needed before using IPL iteratively as for rejuvenation.

Olivier Sorg, PhD
SCAHT - Dermatotoxicologie
CMU, 1, rue Michel-Servet, 1211 Genève 4 (Switzerland)
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

Return to General Discussions (Supporting One Another) READ DISCLAIMER BEFORE ENTERING THIS AREA OF FORUM (MEMBERS ONLY)