TryingToCope's Story

Please do not post in this section. Reserved for Admin to post new members stories. This forum is home to stories of those harmed by cosmetic medical devices. New members, please post your story in the "SUPPORT FOR NEW MEMBERS" section of the forum.

TryingToCope's Story

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:40 am

My Story

Post Posted by tryingtocope » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm

My damage started almost a year ago. I had heard that laser could remove sun spots and decided to try it. I didn't research it and sure wish I did. I was afraid of using creams with chemicals so I thought this was the safe and easy choice. In hind sight the two spots that I was concerned with were not a big deal and never really bothered me. I just figured if I could make them disappear that would be nice. I went to a medi spa that was recommended by a relative who had had the procedure done. I wish I never went and never knew about this. When I went in she used a Candella Gentle Lase and lasered the two spots that I went in for twice. She then pointed out other spots that I never even noticed. They were small freckles. I said ok. So there were 9 spots on one side and 4 on the other. Prior to this I loved my skin. I didn't have any acne, discoloration( other than the few spots that just about everyone has), had great skin texture and not a single complaint. I wish I appreciated what I had. After a week the scabs from the lasered spots fell off. It's at that time that I noticed that the areas she had used the laser had become lighter all around and there were areas that were darker and dark spots were coming out that had never been there. I also noticed a slight texture change in the area the laser was used. I was extremely upset and was told by the woma that only the spot would be affected and would fade and the surrounding skin would be fine.
For 8 months my skin remained the same with the broken up patchy light and dark areas and new dark spots coming out. So I decided to try Prevage. I used it once and noticed that it made my face look worse. The dark became darker and it looked more uneven. I stopped using it but then decided to give it one more try. This time I woke up with my face on fire. Prior to this my skin did not have any sensitivity. I broke out in a rash and it also looked as if the sun (winter sun for a half hour) had caused a discoloration when I was out for just a short time. I could see the skin that was in the sunlight was darker and the area that was under my hat and on the side of my face covered by my hair was lighter. I also noticed wrinkles that were never there under my eyes. My skin burned and felt so tight. I used every cream I could find. Cerave, Aquaphor, Emu Oil, Hyaluronic Acid, Origins etc. It hurt to even put water on my face. I was told by the dermatologist that I had a rash and he prescribed Desonide steroid. This seemed to work and take the rash away but my skin was still not the same. I also developed broken blood vessels on my nose and cheeks that were never there. At this time the wrinkles started coming out even more. I woke up one morning with huge wrinkles and sagging skin that was never there. Each day it gets worse. If I bend over it hangs and it never did this before. I'm in my late 30's so everyone says it's just my age but this only started after the laser and then the sensitivity to products. I have never had an issue with any product before and used Prevage about 6 years ago without a problem.
I took pictures of my face and the changes from before the laser to now are unreal. I have aged 10 years in just one year.. I had tight, firm, healthy skin prior to this. My family thinks it's due to weight loss but I've been this thin before and my face was not this thin and gaunt.
My skin is now saggy, the texture is doughy and bumpy, I have uneven tone, dark spots that show up over night, giant bags and wrinkles under my eyes ( this is the hardest to accept) and I believe fat loss.
I have major anxiety and am now on medication. I used to look at myself and I liked myself. I now am afraid of mirrors. This has affected every aspect of my life. I can't sleep. Can't eat. I don't enjoy all the things I used to. I went from having the best self esteem to feeling so low. I look at people's skin all the time and compare it to my own. I've been told I have BDD. I have never had an issue with my image or myself. I've been overweight and never cared. I've gone months without wearing makeup (didn't need to prior to this). But now I feel like I made the biggest mistake of my life all for a few spots that I didn't even care about.
I wonder all the time what caused this. If it was the Prevage on top of the laser damage that pushed my skin over the edge? Was it the Emu oil with the steroid that caused the major wrinkles that really put things over the edge? I will never know and my mind goes in circles trying to figure it out. I just wish I had found this site before I made this giant life altering mistake.
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Return to Stories of Those Harmed By Cosmetic Medical Devices (PUBLIC)