BBL Forever young IPL damage

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

BBL Forever young IPL damage

PostPosted by Merc » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:46 am

I had IPL a just over a month ago and have little indented slits across my face (around 1/2 cm long). I also have pitted holes. Has anyone had any luck treating this terrible reaction? I had no burns or redness from the laser but my face seems to have reacted nonetheless and is getting worse, not better. Any help appreciated. I am feeling more distressed and depressed and am not sure what to do. The treating doctor does not know why my skin has reacted like this and does not know how to help.
Merc

Re: BBL Forever young IPL damage

PostPosted by RW39 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:44 am

For now, baby it as much as possible. that's about all i, or anyone else here, will be able to suggest to you. It could get better, it could get worse. Don't cleanse more then once a day, don't use retin-a yet, etc. Anything you think might be harsh, don't use. 1 month in is about getting the inflammation down. The sooner it goes down, the better your chances are of improvement. Sorry this happened.
Rob
RW39

PostPosted by Abby » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Merc, sorry this happened to you. We all understand how scarry it is to see your face get this kind of damage. The holes might be pores opening up from the inflammation. You have to understand that it takes a very long time for skin to heal from such an injury (about 2 years!). So as RW said, do NOT use retins, or anything that is exfoliating like glycolic washes or vitamin C for example. Be patient for few months and hopefully you will see improvement once the inflammation goes down. Some of the things that I have tried and that I found gentle enough for my skin are psoria, EpiCeram and rescue from Osmosis.
I wish you and all of us on here much healing.
Abby

PostPosted by fraxeldamage1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi Merc,

I am so sorry you had this reaction from ipl. How you describe your skin is a very common among members who have been damaged from ipl and lasers. Just to echo what everyone has said, make sure you are being extremely gentle with your skin right now and only use all-natural ingredients if possible. Eating healthy will help your body heal the injury to your skin better. Unfortunately, healing is a very long process but I believe it is possible. Many do get better but it often takes years. I'm about 9 months out from laser damage and while my skin hasn't heaed yet, I am still optimistic that it will be improve one day.
fraxeldamage1

PostPosted by Merc » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Thank you for your replies. I will take on your advice. I feel disheartened when I wake up to more indented slits every day. Does anyone know when it stops progressing and why it happens to some of us? I tried Retin A but had an allergic reaction so stopped and I used Vitamin C for a while but stopped that as well as it seemed to get worse. I will baby it as you all advise. I greatly appreciate your time in replying and supporting me.
Merc

PostPosted by fraxeldamage1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:54 pm

I saw a laser expert in Chicago that said damage/scarring will continue to surface for about 3 months and then you shouldn't see more damage. However, this doesn't seem to hold true for everyone. Some people see damage right away but then their skin continues to improve after the initial damage shows while others have seen damage progressively get worse over time. I believe the key to stopping damage is to get inflammation under control so more damage doesn't show up. The ongoing inflammation is what is going to cause continued scarring. Psoria Gold can likely help you get inflammation under control. For me, it took about 4 months of continued use before my inflammation diminished. Also try and stay away from things that cause inflammation such as hot showers, dry heat, dairy and alcohol. Hope this helps!
fraxeldamage1

PostPosted by Merc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:45 am

That does help thank you. I didn't see any damage for a week and then it progressively got worse. I'm trying to keep everything off my face apart from Cetaphil from now on. They don't sell Psoria Gold over here. I hope it does stop after 3 months although I wonder how much worse it can get (I'm at 6 weeks). I see new wrinkles every day as well as new 1 cm slits (not sure what they are exactly but I gather the inflammation is causing them.

We're in the middle of a very hot spring/ summer here so it's no easy to stay 'cool' so to speak with 30+ degree days. I'm so angry at myself. I did this because I was trying to fix my VBeam experience 10 months or so ago. I had major inflammation from that with Rosacea symptoms which took around six months to heal but was left with with white patches in the red so I was trying to feather those down so it didn't look too bad on my cheeks. The doctor said I might as well do my whole face with IPL as it would get rid of any spots etc. Well, it didn't do that and now I've got wrinkles, crepey skin and the rest. I'm so upset with myself. I should've just lived with the spotted red and white cheeks.

Fraxel, what improvement in your skin did you see when the inflammation stopped at 4 months? Did your skin actually improve in some way or did the damage just stop?

One more question if anyone knows? I haven't been using icepacks but would that help with inflammation or make it worse?
Merc

PostPosted by fraxeldamage1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:58 am

Where do you live? Psoria Gold has great costumer service support so I would think they would be willing/able to ship to you. I would say that once my inflammation went down, the damage stopped but the texture didn't necessarily improve. There are times when I think it looks better but then it usually reverts back to what it was. There was a week about a month ago where I thought my skin looked really good but now it seems to look crappy again. I would say my damage was the worst though between months 1-3 because my skin was constantly inflamed and my face looked oily yet was dry at the same time. One of my students asked why my face was so greasy, ha! Gotta love kids. I have had to change how I do my makeup now so the textural damage doesn't look so pronounced. I was really into foundation, powder, bronzer and makeup in general but now I can't use any of that because it makes the texture look worse. Currently, I just use a primer with sunscreen in it and blush. I would say making that change helped my psyche recover the most because I stopped feeling so panicked every time I had to do my makeup for an event.
fraxeldamage1

PostPosted by fraxeldamage1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:02 am

And about the icepacks, I don't think it would make your inflammation worse but if you are experiencing nerve damage in your face, it may cause some sensitivity to the nerves.
fraxeldamage1

PostPosted by Merc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:56 pm

The ice packs just seem to help with the heat I feel in my face, particularly at night for some reason. Don't you just love kids! I have the same issue with make up. I used to love wearing it because of the redness in my face from Rosacea, it used to even the skin colour out and it looked great but now the makeup just gets caught in the textural changes (cracks, holes, crepey) and I look older and I look like a try hard.
Merc

PostPosted by fraxeldamage1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:19 am

I can give you a recommendation for a primer. It is called Color Science Skin Brightening Primer. It is really gentle and doubles as a sunscreen. This certainly doesn't make all my texture issues go away but it does make the slits and pores look a little softer.
fraxeldamage1

PostPosted by Merc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:59 am

Thanks for that. I've not heard of that brand over here. I may have to buy it from Amazon by the looks of it. Thank you.
Merc

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)