Burned by an IPL

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Burned by an IPL

PostPosted by jvillalta » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Hello everyone here's my story....about 5 weeks ago I was burned by an IPL. The lady literally left me with streaks across my forehead, cheeks and chin. Sigh...I feel like it's my fault. I told her to pass it over where ever she saw brown spots. Instead of just going over the top of my cheeks where the brown spots mainly were. The next day you can clearly see they were burns so I went to a burn center and they said some looked like 2nd degree burns. All they said was keep them moist and they will peel off on their own which they did. Once they peeled I had white streaks all over my face which some have now either blended, hyper pigmented or stayed white which I believe are hypo pigmented. I am also starting to see that orange peel texture and the deeper burns seem to have a waxy burn look that some have said goes away. I have gone to 2 dermatologist and they both said I would have to lighten my entire face with Hydroquinone products that this will blend my face more. I live in Southern California so I really want to avoid these products. I've been using natural remedies to bring the inflammation down such as turmeric masks and potatoe slices for the Hyperpigmentation. After a week of doing this I can see an improvement but I am getting very discouraged. I've had to change my whole look just to hide the hypo streaks on my forehead. I really don't know how I can deal with this for the rest of my life. I feel like I've ruined it at 29. Was anyone else on here burned by an IPL? What did you do to correct it? Do we really have to hide from the sun for the rest of our lives?
jvillalta

Re: Burned by an IPL

PostPosted by gretadisk » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:58 pm

I was told the skin can take up to 2 years to heal. I wasn't burned, but I have dermal hyperpigmentation from CO2 laser. I took it that for 2 years, you have to protect yourself from the sun. Most things that correct hyperpigmentation also make your skin sun-sensitive, so yeah, you have to be very diligent about sunscreen while trying to correct your skin.

I've had some success with Microneedling to correct hyperpigmentation, and turmeric is useful as well. Some here have hailed Psoria-Gold, which contains curcumin and is more easily absorbable than a homemade turmeric mask. It's expensive, so I haven't tried it. But over the course of a year I have spent multiple times the cost of Psoria Gold on all sorts of ineffective things. It could be worth a shot.

I recommend wearing a hat, because clothing usually protects your skin even better than sunscreen. Particularly concerning your forehead. But the rest of your face will still need sunscreen. I wore a hat, and no hyperpigmentation formed on my forehead, same can't be said about my cheek. Always wear sunscreen even when it's cloudy and raining.

I was very depressed when I realised that the hyperpigmentation might be permanent. But I haven't given up, and over the course of a year I have seen improvement. It's now been one and a half years after laser. I'm intent on not living with these marks for the rest of my life.

I've been obsessive about healing my skin, which has been important for finding methods that actually work, but it really helps if you can try and go about your life normally. You need to have other things to think about as well. Remember that your identity doesn't depend on your skin. So you need to keep immersed in your passions and hobbies as well. And work, if it is something that inspires you. I find that working can do wonders for maintaining your identity. And being involved in social activities as well, such as volunteering and such.
gretadisk

Re: Burned by an IPL

PostPosted by gretadisk » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:14 pm

But yeah, another thing: It can definitely be an emotional turmoil. But know that bad skin does not make you a bad person.

I'm not lying when I say I went through some extreme distress, literally screaming and breaking mirrors and dishes. But those times were rare, thankfully. I think once I had a screaming fit, once I threw 4 mugs on the floor just to see them break. And screamed. Once after a long time of mirror-avoiding I threw a mirror on the asphalt upon seeing my face. But I have also been under lots of other types of stress. All of it has just kind of piled up and culminated into those moments.

But it gets better. Trust me. It's hard to see it at those times, but it will. Keep doing things you love and remember your dreams. Your skin can get better, but even if it doesn't, you are still you. It can take a long time until it improves, so it is better to focus on what's on the inside. Waiting and waiting just for your skin to improve will make the wait seem very long indeed. Don't put your entire life on hold because of your skin.

I think focusing on my skin and expecting immediate results resulted in my highest distress when I did not get any results. One week is a very short time. It is best to have realistic expecations. It takes a month for the skin to renew itself, so do not expect results from any treatment until after a month of beginning it.
gretadisk

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)