Dr. Oz is Interested! SHORT TIME FRAME!!

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Dr. Oz is Interested! SHORT TIME FRAME!!

PostPosted by DCNGA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 pm

I received this from a member today who's a strong advocate and has had a good bit of media attention. If you're interested in participating, please PM and give me your email address and I'll send you the release/permission form you must sign to participate and all of the info they need to have for the show.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

Re: Dr. Oz is Interested! SHORT TIME FRAME!!

PostPosted by redbysciton » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:51 am

This looks really good but I don't think I'd be a good candidate. While I had an obvious burst blood vessel and an area of pooled blood for about 5 days after the IPL, my damage now is very tiny spots of blood that occur maybe 4x/week and shallow pitting, shallow depressions, more broken blood vessels - stuff that is not obvious and probably won't show on TV. I do have some good early pictures, but as far as what would drive the point home on TV, I don't think I'm it. How about anybody else?
redbysciton

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:29 am

Red, if you're interested, I think you'd be a good candidate - probably most of the ladies (men?) will be a bit further out. Some may or may not have obvious damage. If you have pictures, they will speak volumes of course. I don't have any pictures (except the ones photo shopped by the nurse who caused my damage).
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by taija82 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:38 pm

I'm in oz but happy to have photos sent that show my skin holes, it will look minor to people who don't know what to look for, but for example I have many photos on my phone from others with exact same damage and it becomes clear how laser leaves same texture change on people, maybe it would be good to get pics from everyone like that to show the texture, one pic after another? Even if it is not shocking to others, it would demonstrate how it does worsen your skin texture and won't be a good idea if you have only few scars. Plus that psychiatrist who has been featuring here on this forum could shed a light and make it clear we are not suffering from BDD and see things but suffer from having our faces worsened by something that was meant to be safe.
taija82

PostPosted by Erica » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 pm

T, that's a great idea! You mean Helen Dahlhauser?
Erica

PostPosted by taija82 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Yes! She would be great in it, an actual professional who has dealt with this, plus it stops any attempts by anyone to discredit us by claiming we all have BDD. That's what docs are claiming, they will always be unhappy etc. But she is a pro who can explain that we are suffering only because of device damage, not because we are all BDD
taija82

PostPosted by KVolek » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Is there an attachment with the dr. oz info? I just wanted to get some more info on this. I am in canada so i'm not sure if it would be suitable for me or not.
KVolek

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Heard today the tentative air date is Sept. 11th
Erica

PostPosted by redbysciton » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:23 pm

I would be willing to send some photos that show some damaged areas. Where should I send them?
redbysciton

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:09 pm

I believe it is too late. I think the deadline was this past Thursday. It was short notice.

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by redbysciton » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 am

Oh, thank you DCNGA. Hopefully some folks were able to get their info to OZ. Sorry I'd been embroiled in some stuff at work.
redbysciton

PostPosted by DCNGA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm

It seems it is not too late to do this:

http://vimeo.com/88293427

DCNGA

PostPosted by Erica » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:56 am

The episode will be on TV this Friday, Sept 19th!
Erica

PostPosted by redbysciton » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks Erica for the heads up!
redbysciton

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:30 pm

The episode was postponed until Sept 26th
Erica

PostPosted by redbysciton » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:18 am

Erica Thank you for the update
redbysciton

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Disappointed in this episode. Same ol', same ol'............
Erica

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 pm

These episodes ALWAYS mention to see a board certified dermatologist. We know the reality as many of us WERE harmed by board certified derms. They always mention after-care and we know the reality of that as well.. A derm is NO more likely to admit fault and provide after care. Disgusted.
Erica

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 pm

I had emailed the producer of this segment, twice, not because I felt they would do a segment which would do our damage/experience justice, but to support the woman who worked so hard to expose this and made the contact with the show. I have so much respect for her and wanted to be supportive of her efforts in any way I could. That was all that mattered to me. I wrote this producer with the main purpose of stating that I was badly harmed by a board certified doctor. That it is incorrect to perpetuate the misconception that laser damage only happens if you are treated at a med-spa and I am proof of that. She never had the common courtesy to even write back. I tried. I am so grateful to whomever participated with so much thanks and respect. It is so hard for me to trust that the people who promote and profit off of these devices have our best interest at heart. But I also know the reality is, there is no where else to go. It remains so corrupt, yet I remain so inspired by how brave so many are that keep trying.

A vintage post to review. topic2590.html

Also, an article that I came across, I felt spoke volumes! I applaud the writer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlipson ... -the-hill/

Many of us were worried when Dr. Oz was invited by Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri) to testify in front of a consumer protection panel about weight loss scams. A small part of my held out hope that the invitation might hold some surprises for Dr. Oz, and thankfully it did. Rather than ask Oz for his expert opinion about the current threat of weight loss scams, Dr. Oz was set up as another sort of expert: a promoter of these scams. (NB: quotes transcribed by me)

Senator McCaskill: You are being made an example of today because of the power you have in this space. We didn’t call this hearing to beat up on you but we did call this hearing to talk about a real crisis in consumer protection. You can either be part of the police here or you can be part of the problem.

Ouch.

Senator McCaskill isn’t some starstruck fan. She did her homework, and she brought her A-game. The senator started out by quoting to Dr. Oz a number of his “miracle” weight loss proclamations. Take a look at the whole exchange:

Dr. Oz: Well, if I could disagree about whether they work or not, and I’ll move on to the issue of the words that I used. And just with regards to whether they work or not, take green coffee bean extract as an example. Uh, I’m not gonna argue that it would pass FDA muster if it was a pharmaceutical drug seeking approval, but among the natural products that are out there, this is a product that has several clinical trials. There was one large one, a very good quality one, that was done the year that we talked about this, in 2012. Listen, I’ve…

Sen. McCaskill: wh..wha..I wanna know about that clinical trial. Because the only one I know was sixteen people in India that was paid for by the company that, that was in fact, at the point in time when you initially talked about this being a miracle, the only study that was out there was the one with sixteen people in India that was written up by somebody that was being paid by the company that was producing it.

Dr. Oz: Well, this paper argue that there was no one paying for it, but I have the, four papers, five papers actually plus a series of basic science papers on it as well. But, but Senator McCaskill, what, if I, we can spend a lot of time arguing the merits of whether green coffee bean extract is worth trying or not worth trying. Maybe the things that we argue you do with regard to your diet are likewise criticizable, I mean should you be on a low fat diet, a low carb diet, we b…I spent a good part of my career recommending that folks have a low fat diet, but we’ve come full circle in that argument now and no longer recommend that now, many of us who practice medicine because it no longer worked for our patients. Now it is remarkably complex, as you know, to figure out what works for most people even, in a dietary program.

In the practice of medicine we evolve by looking at new ideas and challenging orthodoxy and evolving them. So…so when I hold…these are the five papers, these are clinical papers, uh, and we can argue about the quality of them, very justifiably, uh, I could pick apart papers that showed no benefit as well, but, at, at the end of the day, I have clinical subjects, real people, having undergone trials, and in this case I actually gave it to member of my audience it wasn’t a formal trial, it was just an exch…

Senator McCaskill: Which wouldn’t pass…the trial you did with your audience, you would not say that it would ever pass scientific muster.

Dr. Oz: No, I would never publish the paper. It wasn’t done under the appropriate IRB guidance, that wasn’t the purpose of it. The purpose was for me to get a thumbnail sketch, was this worth talking to people about or not. But again I don’t think this should be a referendum on the use of alternative medical therapies ’cause if that’s the case then I’ve been criticized for having folks come on my show and talk about the power of prayer. Now again as a practitioner I can’t prove that prayer helps people survive an illness, I..

Senator McCaskill: Sure, but it’s hard to buy prayer.

Dr. Oz: Hard to buy prayer. That’s the difference.

Sen. McCaskill: Prayer is free.

Dr. Oz: Yes, prayer is free, that’s a very good point.

This brief exchange reveals a lot about how Oz, charlatans, and snake oil salesmen work. They evade. They ignore the question and answer their own. He cited studies and when he was called out on what appears to be a blatant lie, he simply changed the subject.

This is not the behavior one would expect of what the Senator called “someone trained in science-based medicine”. I’ll admit, it was good to see him sweat. But I hope that isn’t his final discomfort.

McCaskill said, “I don’t get why you need to say this stuff, ’cause you know its not true.”

To her I would ask, Cui bono? Is it only Dr. Oz and the companies who just happen to benefit from the products that he “doesn’t endorse?” I certainly don’t know, but I hope someone keeps asking.
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by redbysciton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:08 am

Great post, hopeful19. It's ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS. It is rare to find anyone who gives patient well-being and safety the proper priority. If there is $$ to be made, they really don't give a crap.
redbysciton

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:40 pm

So agree red...
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:13 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-y ... oss-pills/

Researchers retract bogus, Dr. Oz-touted study on green coffee bean weight-loss pills 10/22/2014

Researchers have retracted a bogus study that was used by a company to validate weight-loss claims for green coffee bean pills, one of several questionable supplements being scrutinized by federal regulators.

The study, which was conducted in India but written by researchers from the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania, initially claimed that people who used the supplement lost 16 percent of their body fat (about about 18 pounds each) with or without diet and exercise.

Now, the paper has been taken down from an open-access scientific journal's Web site with this message: "The sponsors of the study cannot assure the validity of the data so we, Joe Vinson and Bryan Burnham, are retracting the paper."

Applied Food Science, the company that marketed the pills, recently settled with the Federal Trade Commission for $3.5 million after regulators looked into the questionable weight-loss claims associated with the product. The FTC raised questions about whether the study that the company's findings were based on had been based on falsified information -- including the weight of participants and the length of the study.

The use of green coffee extract is one of several questionable weight-loss schemes that have been endorsed by syndicated television personality Mehmet Oz, also known as Dr. Oz.

We've written in the past that Dr. Oz called the product a "magic" weight-loss product and touted the now-debunked research on his show.

"You may think magic is make believe, but this little bean has scientists saying they found a magic weight loss cure for every body type," Oz exclaimed in the Green Coffee Extract episode of his show. "This miracle pill can burn fat fast for anyone who wants to lose weight. This is very exciting and it's breaking news."

Oz touted the "staggering newly released study" that showed participants lost an "astounding" amount of fat and weight -- 17.7 pounds and 16 percent of body fat -- by doing absolutely nothing except taking the supplement.

As of this posting, Oz's Web site has been entirely scrubbed of almost every mention of the green coffee extract, including the episode touting the product and the "independent" experiment he and his show conducted to present their own evidence of the substance's weight-loss effects. The 2012 episode has also vanished from YouTube due to a "copyright claim by doctoroz."

In light of the study's retraction, Dr. Oz has posted a new message on his Web site (although it can be found only if you search for it):

In prior seasons, we covered Green Coffee Extract and its potential as a useful tool for weight loss. Recently the authors of the peer reviewed research paper on which our coverage had been partially based formally retracted their study. While this sometimes happens in scientific research, it indicates that further study is needed regarding any potential benefits of Green Coffee Extract.

In summary: We were wrong about green coffee extract, but that's science!

The controversy over Oz's seemingly wild claims about weight-loss products have landed him in front of Congress and caused some problems for people who associate themselves with him.

Based on Oz's new statement, it's not clear whether his show is taking a different tack and more responsibly informing his audience about weight loss-strategies that are actually scientifically proven to work.

We've reached out to Oz's office for further comment, and we will update if we hear back.

-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:03 am

Half of Dr. Oz’s medical advice is baseless or wrong, study says

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... tudy-says/

-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)