Burned

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Burned

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I am 8 weeks out from Fraxel Restore and my poor condition on my cheeks is not getting better. The skin looks waxy, laser scarred and burned on the surface, the hyperpigmentation is bad and the constant pain in the tissue. Burning and severe redness occur everyday and for the past few days has been severe. The intensity of it is like someone lit a match under the skin. I've been trying to control the burning with Desonide cream, the redness with Mirvosa and while it works at times, it is not working today at all. I am suffering immensely and don't see hope. I don't trust that I will heal in a month or two months. When this doesn't feel like an injury it will still look like one. It took away perfectly healthy skin that I never wanted lasered and ruined the health. I fear about being able to finish school, start a career, and now feel disfigured for the rest of my life. It makes life seem not worth living. I am turning 25 and feel like this is it. Where is there hope, and is this suffering going to be worth it? I am going to make an appointment with another doctor for a second opinion for whatever it's worth.
laurajean13

Re: Burned

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi laura so sorry that this happens to you. am 27 and ipl treatment changed my life too. Your are very early in your healing . first 4 month were agony for me. I suffered so much but now i feel much much more better. You are lucky that it is autumn now. my sufferings were in summer when people have so much funs. Just give time to your face. After taking fish collagen spirulina and MSM i feel that my face look a bit better well its not burning anymore which is very good .. i think that my damages have stopped in 5 month after treatment. Good luck!
djamilia555

PostPosted by Erica » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Laurajean, Have you tried zinc oxide? It can be very soothing to the face and lessen the burning. Give yourself lots of time to heal from this (mentally and physically). Be kind to yourself through this process. You'll get your life back but it will take time.
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:08 pm

djamilia555 wrote:Hi laura so sorry that this happens to you. am 27 and ipl treatment changed my life too. Your are very early in your healing . first 4 month were agony for me. I suffered so much but now i feel much much more better. You are lucky that it is autumn now. my sufferings were in summer when people have so much funs. Just give time to your face. After taking fish collagen spirulina and MSM i feel that my face look a bit better well its not burning anymore which is very good .. i think that my damages have stopped in 5 month after treatment. Good luck!

Hi Djamilia , were you burning and flushing also? What area, and do you have textural damage? Do you have any physical sensation problems still or is that gone? My settings were very high which concerns me as I heard redness can last a year or even more, and I know I'm the type of skin to have that problem. It's so frustrating because the scarred areas I did want done healed fine and look great and this unwanted damages took away everything I've worked for to feel good and interfere with my sleeping, eating, and concentration throughout the day.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Erica wrote:Laurajean, Have you tried zinc oxide? It can be very soothing to the face and lessen the burning. Give yourself lots of time to heal from this (mentally and physically). Be kind to yourself through this process. You'll get your life back but it will take time.

I have not tried that, I will ask the doctor about it. Everything irritates it. I am so sad for the holidays to be coming up and what would have been a great year is tormenting. I have trouble being patient and kind ot myself when my life has been so compromised at the expense of a doctors mistake. I just don't want to look burned for the rest of my life with this laser pattern on my cheek. I worry after I heal it won't be worth it, and I will be left with lasting damages that undercut the quality of my life.
laurajean13

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:43 pm

laurajean13 wrote:
djamilia555 wrote:Hi laura so sorry that this happens to you. am 27 and ipl treatment changed my life too. Your are very early in your healing . first 4 month were agony for me. I suffered so much but now i feel much much more better. You are lucky that it is autumn now. my sufferings were in summer when people have so much funs. Just give time to your face. After taking fish collagen spirulina and MSM i feel that my face look a bit better well its not burning anymore which is very good .. i think that my damages have stopped in 5 month after treatment. Good luck!

Hi Djamilia , were you burning and flushing also? What area, and do you have textural damage? Do you have any physical sensation problems still or is that gone? My settings were very high which concerns me as I heard redness can last a year or even more, and I know I'm the type of skin to have that problem. It's so frustrating because the scarred areas I did want done healed fine and look great and this unwanted damages took away everything I've worked for to feel good and interfere with my sleeping, eating, and concentration throughout the day.

my main problem is textural damage. Lines , orange peel texture, large pores. dry skin. During one month after treatment nothing happened to my skin, the treatment also was quite comfortable , skin was red during several hours but than was fine. In one month everything started. Burning sensation, very strange sharp pain needle like. texture was changing everyday. I cried a lot but than said to myself f...ck everything . I have little daughter and she needs me so much. my husband loves me and i often see yang girls with such an awfull skins and they look so happy and i now i try not to think about it . Sometimes pray GOD to send all this sufferings i had to my ipl Doctor. Hate this woman. I wish i live in usa to have opportunity to visit good Doctor who can help. Here in Russia no good doctors. I wish you Laura to be strong and wait for the healing. I strongly believe that we will heal one day.
djamilia555

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Laura do you have textural damages? Can you send me your foto to this mail. (email address deleted by admin). I'll send you Mine.
djamilia555

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Please do not put your email in the open portion of the forum (those forums marked public). It 'draws' spam bots and you'll be overwhelmed with spam email. Use the "General Forum" section.

I'm deleting your email address. You might also try PM'ing one another to exchange email addresses.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Yes I have textural damages on the whole cheek.I pm'd you my email
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 am

I wake up every time in the early morning with heat pouring into my left cheek and my right gets blotchy. This is the new thing that happens everyday. It prevents me from sleeping, I put on medicine to calm it down which isn't working anymore. My cheek down to the jaw is orange peel texture which makes me feel sick as it used to be the nicest skin on my face. I don't see how I can get through school without it being stable and not inflaming and then on top of that having to start a rigorous career with zero confidence or comfort, something everyone around you has. I am feeling no hope for my future, and its hard to get out of bed, and its hard to lay in my bed when the sides of my face sting and feel injured. Is the struggle ever going to be worth it?
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:05 pm

I have to use Mirvosa everyday to control the redness so I can go out during the day but it only works for a few hours and then I think I might get a horrible rebound where I'll burn and be red for hours. I take a shower and the tissue is inflamed and red and looks like orange peel really bad all the way across the cheek down to the jaw. It hasn't gotten any better and never will. I feel truly disfigured. Sun never again, never will feel good swimming, will live with laser induced heat and flushing. Fear of being unable to work, concentrate, making everyone around me crazy. I am a burden to everyone and this damage was the greatest burden to my young life. Feel like dying everyday. Never felt so hopeless.
laurajean13

PostPosted by WG1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. Every new story still makes me sad.

Raw organic coconut oil is very soothing to the skin. So is avocado oil.

I have shared some things that helped me to cope in my signature attachments. The best of healing to you!
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by empusa » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:03 am

My burning was probably not as bad as yours, but Peoria Gold reduced mine. It took a few weeks to get a lasting reduction. In the first day, I used it every few hours. Then 3 or 4 times a day for a few days. T
I would bring it to work, and rinse my face/apply, when the burning would start to increase. After a week or so, I used it twice a day for many months; now once a day.

I even tried it on inflamed bug bites, and it knocked the redness and itching down.

There's a product that I might have tried if (patch test). It's called Medix 8 Red Alert.

It hasTeprenone (or geranylgeranylacetone). It is a drug that has been used to treat ulcers, and it was found to dramatically reduce redness.

Suppression of inflammatory response (corrected link):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20723005/

It's in this product:
http://medik8.us/face/red_alert_serum.html
empusa

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:53 am

How long did you burn or flush for. Are you stable now? I tried PG ultra sensitive and was getting tiny bumps irritation so I took a break. Everything that was recommended to me by ppl or another derm did not respond well. The only thing controlling it is the new drug topical mirvosa but I'm scared it's been causing me rebound flushing. I'm worried that when tissue looks burned that it'll never heal and look healthy again. It also feels very uncomfortable. Seeing no sign of hope
laurajean13

PostPosted by empusa » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 am

It's hard to recall, but the PG diminished the harsh burn, and I suppose it was a couple of months (after I started the PG) that it was gone.

I'm wondering if manuka honey would help. It has been used (medical grade) to treat severe radiation burns. It's supposed to interrupt inflammation and is antiseptic. It also helps clear acne. I tried it once under my nose (raw from blowing nose... allergy attack). I am acne prone, so I didn't want to put a heavy protectant on my face. I was surprised. It was very soothing and protective.

Aloe comes to mind as well.

For me, bringing the inflammation down reduced the burning; I can't know if you would respond the same.
empusa

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Yea the first 9 weeks even when inflammation was down I still had this burning sensation in the nerves. Now I only get it when it flares with the heat. So if the redness is down now I no longer burn. The mirvosa is the only thing full proof to get me out the door to classes. However id like something that could actually help the healing process. I am very concerned about being prone to redness there long term. I wonder if severe trauma can comprise the skin and make it prone to rosacea type symptoms. Manuka honey is prob a good mask for a few hours. I tried aloe. Don't know how much it helped. I wish there was something easy to apply and sped this up. Other than that it just seems like time. I am very upset because this is not the way I would've ever chose to treat my body. After acne I appreciated healthy skin so much and would have never gambled or disturbed it. I guess doctors don't see the value in our bodies. It's one thing to help someone and treat scarring and another thing to go and burn the crap out of healthy beautiful skin.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Has anyone done PRP to help redness, burning, or a unhealthy surface of skin. My surface just has this singed look and I wonder if anything can help heal the inside, or if it's too early to do anything like that. I'm not looking for PRP to heal the scars or damage, but to heal the inside so it becomes less inflamed and more stable. Any opinions?
laurajean13

PostPosted by Erica » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:41 pm

I had PRP but I can't say whether or not it helped because I have nothing to compare it to.
Erica

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 pm

I was red all day and it progressively got worse by the do nothing method. I took a break from the Mirvosa for the weekend. Tonight I tried a manuka honey mask and it stung a little but I just thought it's probably working its magic. In a half hour I rinsed it off with cool water and it seemed to take some of the heat and severe redness out. So I reapplied it for a little over another hour and it really helped soften the skin and calm it down. I think I will do this every evening while home to try to heal the burn. See if I make any progress with that.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 am

The honey irritated it so I stopped. Doctors just try to give me topical cortisone which makes the skin 100x worse and looks like a horror movie and causes me more pain so I won't be using that. Mirvosa is the only thing temporarily helping, but the skin is not healing on it's own. It's still painful, the texture is just as bad, it left superficial scarring across the cheek and the surface lost it's softness and color. It feels like singed tougher tissue and I feel emotionally paralyzed where I physically can't do things anymore. The redness and burning has ruined my life. My eyes are bloodshot, I get constant headaches and I've never felt so much loss of identity in my life. Nothing can turn back time and make that day go right. I feel like my spirits been sucked out of me, and I can't see past this and believe that I will experience happiness or comfort in my heart again. Three months ago I never saw this coming and had strong hopes for my future.
laurajean13

PostPosted by WG1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 am

Cortisone can cause fat atrophy on its own and I'd hate to think what it does in tandem with laser damage.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 am

Nothing is better yet. Almost 14 weeks after. I don't have burning in my nerves anymore, only when it inflames which is still everyday. The laser pattern is the same as week 1 and is obviously permenant. The pigment is also lightened which is also permanent. The only hopes for healing is for the dryness, and roughness to soften and for the redness to leave completely, two things which cannot even be guaranteed. I started doing oatmeal masks which are soothing. Maybe I should try msm cream? I have more appointments coming up next week for some opinions. This whole situation came out of no where. I never thought my cheeks would ever be treated by the laser. It's like blaming yourself because you decided to turn left and got in a car accident. You wish you would have turned right, but how could you have known what was up ahead. I had no concern about treating my scar tissue with laser and don't regret it to this day. I just wish my healthy skin was left that day and still hope for healing but don't want to go on most days. Something inside me broke that day.
laurajean13

PostPosted by KVolek » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:28 pm

I know how you feel Laurajean. I had finally come to terms withmy damage and accepted that i was not going to heal. I can't believe what has happened to my chin within the last 1.5 weeks. It was ok before and now has the same cracked look the rest of my face has. And it kills me to think that i may have caused it myself by taking serrepetase. I wish i could just stay home and never leave the house. Its the only place im comfortable now.
KVolek

PostPosted by Janey44 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:03 pm

I saw my dermatologist today and he said he thinks that the texture is perminant in my case as well. It hasn't changed much in the last few weeks so he might be right. I don't know how I'm going to get used to this. I have to keep talking my self down from trying more crazy treatments like more lasers or chemical peels. I have been keeping the soul crushing depression at bay so far but I feel it looming. I feel for you laurajean. I've fought with depression for years and I know how it feels. I didn't leave my house except to go to work or to get more food (and beer), I was a pretty bad alcoholic. I know I can't do that again, plus I have kids now, so it's just not an option to fail them. Stay srong for the people who love you, if that's the only way you can do it. Sometimes it's the only way you can. Let us know what the doctors say, you can get through this.
Janey44

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:49 am

This is all the soft tissue of my lower face. Yesterday I was in so much pain when I don't use this topical mirvaso. Even with it my skin is so dry and cracked. I looked in my hallway mirror yesterday with my mom and I could not believe my eyes. My life is over my face is singed, he took a beautiful girl and ruined her. there's no sign of hope. I stayed in bed all day yesterday in pain physically and the emotional torture. In order to accept what has happened the damage has to be live able and stable. If one day it is then the emotional pain and betrayal of having an area done I didn't want to get badly damaged is something my soul might not be able to take. The soft skin on the side of my face was like that of a child and now I look like a hot pan singed me except there's a pattern. I'd take my crater scars over this horror. I've never been so hurt and for some reason the laser was a great thing for my scars on my forehead. My life is over when I was ready for it to begin. I waited years to get my scarring to a place where I could feel some comfort and that day finally comes with the cruel joke of having the good part burned. My scarred areas glow compared to my cheeks and it was always the opposite. I am tired of my life being put on hold and I see no way out of this one. It stole my life and dream and I can't see how I'll ever find comfort or freedom in this life again.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

KVolek wrote:I know how you feel Laurajean. I had finally come to terms withmy damage and accepted that i was not going to heal. I can't believe what has happened to my chin within the last 1.5 weeks. It was ok before and now has the same cracked look the rest of my face has. And it kills me to think that i may have caused it myself by taking serrepetase. I wish i could just stay home and never leave the house. Its the only place im comfortable now.

I'm sorry kvolek, I don't think a supplement did that it's not your fault. I don't even feel comfortable in my house anymore that's how badly this has affected me. When my scarring was worse I felt very safe and comfortable in my home and would do so many things to take my mind off and distract myself. This damaged just sucked everything out of me. I always looked forward to holidays and simple little things even in my worst times with my skin and scarring but this burn damage on my cheeks just killed the way I used to cope and I can't get myself back. I keep blaming all the places I went wrong. How could my doctor have thought I wanted this done and I just see all the ways now I could've prevented it :(
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:11 am

Last edited by laurajean13 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:12 am

Janey44 wrote:I saw my dermatologist today and he said he thinks that the texture is perminant in my case as well. It hasn't changed much in the last few weeks so he might be right. I don't know how I'm going to get used to this. I have to keep talking my self down from trying more crazy treatments like more lasers or chemical peels. I have been keeping the soul crushing depression at bay so far but I feel it looming. I feel for you laurajean. I've fought with depression for years and I know how it feels. I didn't leave my house except to go to work or to get more food (and beer), I was a pretty bad alcoholic. I know I can't do that again, plus I have kids now, so it's just not an option to fail them. Stay srong for the people who love you, if that's the only way you can do it. Sometimes it's the only way you can. Let us know what the doctors say, you can get through this.

I'm sorry Janey, I know mine is also. What is your texture like? I do not think peels are good and lasers might make it worse. It's just more heat. I only leave my house now for school and therapy. If my skin isn't stable after January I will not be able to continue school and that schedule this way. I feel like such a burden to my family, though it's not my fault. I just needed to get my life started and this derailed everything and I don't know how I'll continue on the path I was on. You have many people who rely on you and I hope you can stay strong. I know how hard it is.
laurajean13

PostPosted by Erica » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 pm

LauraJean, I know exactly how you feel, I was damaged because an idiot RN made a mistake with the setting. I just want to say, try not to lose hope that your skin won't improve, because it may. Having dealt with your scarred skin, you know it may take time.. up to years. Hang in there and try not to let this take you down physically. A former member wrote this encouraging post, have you seen it? topic1116.html
Erica

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:52 pm

i will not ever accept this face. I dont want to believe that this damage is permanent. And you do not.
djamilia555

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Erica. That's horrible...what laser did you have and for what reason? What damages are you left with if you don't mind me asking? I am not hoping for anything at this point. I do not want to create false hope and I don't expect anything to change. If it does, great, but I can't invest energy in that kind of thinking, though I know for some it's crucial. For my scars, time did nothing the only thing that helped were treatments. That was a situation that had hope because there were still ways to improve them. I was really at the end of my journey helping my scars...3 long years after 4 of the condition that scarred me. 7 years of my life and right when I'm getting on two feet the rug is swiped up from under me. Everyone in my life knows I needed this window of time to get my life together, and how detrimental this kind of disaster is and will be for my emotional recovery. I was in a very important fragile place and really psyching myself up for my future and then then happened and it all crashed. Thank you for sharing that post and your support. It proves that things can change for some and for that I am grateful. Especially grateful that cardar got some relief. However the way these damages put our lives in hold, leaving us with month after month watching changes or no changes, and the torment it puts a person through has no words.

Hi Djamilia, I hate to hear your still struggling also. You're not alone. Did you ever get opinions from other doctors on your damage? We have to remember that we still have beautiful faces, just what they did to our skin is unforgivable...
laurajean13

PostPosted by Erica » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Yep, no one understands this "special" torment but us...

My lips were permanently damaged and I have scars on my face - was burned with Candela V-Beam
Erica

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:27 pm

yes LAURA i am have to struggle with my health problems more than with face damages. Next week i want to visit Doctor and to have some blood tests. Will see what happening with my immune system. LAURA you are not alone too. If only i could i would take even half of your pain. Thank GOD we have this place and all this people that can support and understand us. i dont know what would i do if i hadnt Googled 6 month ago 2 words that became part of my life IPL DAMAGE. Every day i pray GOD FOR healing all of us. i know time will heal and GOD will heal. We have to believe!!!
djamilia555

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Thank you for saying that. I cry and have breakdowns everyday and my face is so painful, why after over 3 months?? My family loves and supports me but it's just not enough. The stress of this damage is probably killing my health and the immune system I worked to rebuild after being sick for years. I hope you get better and your health problems. I pray that my pain and inflammation stops and that I can see and go from there. I would not want to give this to anyone. Thank you for supporting me. I am seeing another doctor on Friday. I want to heal and to believe that I will feel comfort again.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:51 pm

My face is in so much pain, red patches heat, and dryness that just can't be relieved. It's like the dermis is so dehydrated and cerave does nothing to relieve it. All day it's been so painful. I cannot see a way to help myself, and I do not know how to believe that this will just go away. Will I be in pain for life now? For months, years? What do I do.... I've never suffered like this before in my life and it's unlivable and scary every day since this has happened. I'm not really religious but please pray for me.
laurajean13

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Facial pain is SO scary. I hope this resolves for you soon. LauraJean, have you tried African Shea butter for moisture? Several have mentioned that lately. Also, there is emu oil.. Let us know if you need any ideas for products to try.
Erica

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I hope so too, it is extremely scary and debilitating. I have not tried it, as I am afraid to put different things on it. Everything burns. I am going to another doctor this Sunday and will tell her everything I am experiencing and then I have another appointment on Monday. The dryness might not ever resolve if the injury/burn was bad enough which means I may have tight uncomfortable skin on my lower face for a long time if not forever now. The unknowns are what scare me the most. No one has an answer and I just see what this did to the skin and know that it'll never function like it once did. It's hard enough emotionally seeing my skin transform like it has.

Something about today is just out of control. Nothing is easing the pain and it's a sensation that's really hard to describe. It hard to have no control and to know that the next morning I will wake up with heat pain and severe dryness in my face. Ice seems to exacerbate it today. I miss my life so much and never wanted my cheeks treated because they were perfectly smooth and healthy. I cry asking why my doctor would do this to me everyday. He helped my scarring for years and on my last treatment with laser goes and does a totally different plan. Even if I for some bizarre reason wanted to gamble my beautiful skin, hypothetically, you shouldn't come out looking this bad and burning in your tissue for months! There is so much pain and anger as this stole a young life.
laurajean13

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:57 pm

laurajean, I know you're understandably nervous about trying different products but zinc oxide and also aloe vera (directly from the plant) can help to soothe and calm the skin. Just a thought as I don't think these two things could hurt you.
Erica

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:00 pm

I was also injured because of a mistake; very difficult to overcome. The anger is beyond measure. :(
Erica

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Thank you Erica. I will keep those in mind. It's like, when will skin just be normal and when will I not have to be a scientist trying to figure out how to calm it down with whatever remedy. It's so consuming and no way to live. Temporary fixes can only do so much, and does a real resolution exist? Can time provide it? All these questions. Thanks again for your suggestions and I don't know if our anger can heal. I don't know if you can forgive someone for taking the most social part of your body and personal part of your identity. With where I'm at with everything, I have no interest in hoping to resolve the anger.
laurajean13

Next

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)