Burned

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Re: Burned

PostPosted by taija82 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Jeremy Rawlins the one you mentioned to me. I sent pictures I'm waiting for his reply. For life of me I cannot find any reviews apart one and she already wrote in this site, however her entire face wasn't scarred like mine so I would like to wait until I hear from more people. As far as I understand though, recell only makes recovery faster, but results are based on the ablative treatment , so for example if I would have done recell with my laser that left holes, it would have prob not make any difference as holes were formed and prob goagulated instantly with burned edges so the holes never had a chance to close as laser heat dried the edges and body didn't realise they needed closing. Recell would have prob helped healing faster but I would have still healed with scars . Plus it wouldn't help with inflammation that's deep in dermis it's only topical. But I wonder if chemical peel would be helpfull at all with recell , it might not be strong enough... Too hard to figure these things out...

Dermabrasion would prob work better and recell might make the results more natural instead of the waxiness many experience, but I can't find any people who have had it done. Also how thin is my skin? I have no idea if laser thinned my skin, I wouldn't be comfortable doing any ablative procedure until the surgeon would have clear idea how thick is the skin, instead of guessing ,maybe a biopsy?

I don't think it's a miracle and there's very little info from real people who have had it done. I don't believe any surgeon or Avita Medicals to give me the real insight into this, they all have their own gain in it no matter how nice they are.
taija82

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:28 am

I know I wouldn't be a candidate just based on the fact that I have persistent pinkness from this laser and flushing/burning. More ablative procedures would just increase my pain already so I kind of know I'm stuck with what I've got and I have very fragile thin skin on my cheeks. That's why I was scared to let ANYTHING touch it beforehand. Not even a light chemical peel, and I got it lasered on high blast, first thing that ever touched the virgin skin.. Problem is I can't get past the chronic pain part to even think about how to improve the appearance, even though that hurts me emotionally the most I know I can't do anything to fix it... My face is always flaring I can't exert myself in any way. Being in certain positions where blood flows more to the head, a conversation, a bright light/sun, an emotion eating showering or anything and the whole lasered cheek area gets heat and burning that takes hours to calm down but it's never not blotchy. I am not sleeping well and don't know if I need sleeping meds. I am so anti medication, but don't know what to do! I lived such a holistic lifestyle and even when I had bad anxiety with my scarring refused medication due to wanting to keep my body "clean" of all that, but after this I am unable to cope in any way. It's a downward spiral. My skin will not hydrate which causes severe discomfort. I did several times tonight and not one bit of relief or difference. I can sleep with Vaseline overnight and wake up with not one bit of difference. My skin was soft like a baby's butt before and never dry or red. I am worried this is a permanent condition and if so I'll be disabled, no joke. That's something we discussed with the doctor who did this to me. He did a lot of listening again and the only thing he said is to follow up with the neurologist on this nerve pain medication and then he will look into any different ways to help hydrating because everything I am doing "right" is not helping at all. I wouldn't be surprised if I never hear back though, and this time we were not told to come back in a month for a follow up. I think it's clear now that 6 months no change things aren't looking good.... I knew two people who had dermabrasion and recell, but only on spots. Dermabrasion has had many of the waxiness and same risks as laser, it depends on how deep they go, then your skin type and healing abilities and I just wouldn't trust anything without a lot more reviews and there just aren't enough. But there is no harm in researching, talking, and even consulting if you choose. Just gather info and options. One thing I learning is it's not a quick fix and for emotionally fragile people like us that can be a scary thing to look worse before better, and have the risk of looking worse. There was one woman who had it done in Vietnam (may be wrong) on an old burn scar and the woman dermabraded too deep and made it worse. Then she tried recell again with needling in Australia years later to try to improve it, but it got too messed up the first time. But she was an upbeat person and didn't seem to let it ruin her life and was able to go in sun ect and live her life. Getting it done you would be red for a while, and the pink will take a long time to fade. Could take over a year... and pigment changes are always possible with ablative procedures. Recell sounds great in that it cuts risks but it's not this full proof miracle and no one will deny that. It's one thing if your doing a spot but another when it's 1/2 of your face. Hopefully once it's approved in to US there may be some more testimonials about it but it's going to start first for burns I believe or vitilago. I literally went in to have the laser spot treat two scars left near my nose (as the rest were pretty much smoother) and came out with a whole face done and huge damage and pain. The doctor evades any confrontation about why he did this and didn't stop and decided to blend instead of stop when I voiced that I didn't want it. Supposedly those settings are used a lot on other people without problems, but I knew my skin and knew it'd be too fragile for this...but I wasn't given a heads up and my charts never said anything like what he did that day. It's crazy how this can all happen under a minute, because I ask myself how did this happen if I didn't want it done with me THERE. But in less than 30 seconds one cheek was halfway done and already ruined, and what do you do keep one glowing and the other damaged. That'd be even weirder.

Taija, you don't have a difference in redness or flushing right on your lasered areas right? Never any pain or discomfort? My surface feels and looks so stripped it sounds like a dream to have someone spray my skin back on and heal back to normal but that's just me fantasizing.

I am also holding onto a lot of anger that I even did the bottom again as I would have been fine leaving it alone. It all came down to trust and just "finishing touch" since it was such an improvement on that small area. But this was mainly for my forehead which was very scarred and pitted. Worst I've seen on anyone, as forehead scarrring so dense is not the norm. Cheeks seem more common. But in my opinion the result is beautiful. Just amazing how nice it came out from where it was left damaged. Very angry that the problem was solved and a worse one created. Wasn't convinced there was anything worse than pits on the face, but I guess there can be.
laurajean13

PostPosted by Erica » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Have you checked into PRP? It's a healing, not damaging, procedure. I had it, not sure if it helped or not (because I had nothing to compare it to) but it definitely didn't hurt me.
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:25 pm

I did think about prp but looking at my damage do not believe anything can help. The skin shrivels up and shines like singed skin. It killed it.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 pm

My pain is so bad, and I do not like the option of Cymbalta. I am losing hope, how do manage this chronic pain in my cheeks. It's 24/7 and I'm scared this will never get better if at 6 months it almost seems worse or not improving.
laurajean13

PostPosted by butterfly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Laurajean,
I am thinking of you and sending healing thoughts across the ocean. Do you have any pain management clinics or services where you live? That pain sounds unbearable. I so hope you can get some help. I keep thinking my skin knew what to do for 45 years, so hopefully those 45 years will outweigh the past 18 months and the skin will rebound at some point. Eating potatoes and pineapples makes a big difference for me and drinking lots of water. Wishing you healing right now.
Butterfly
butterfly

PostPosted by Mandy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

I knowticed improvements after a year. But there are still days like today were my skin looks really uneven still. I had a really bad day over it. The emotional trauma over this is unbearable.
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:40 am

Thank you butterfly for your thoughts and concern.

I am being told to go down the pain management route, and the neurologist recommended the antidepressant cymbalta to mask the nerve pain but it won't stop the heat, the flushing, the symptoms just the theory is that the serotonin increase ect, helps the person deal/feel the pain less. But these medicines come with a myriad of side effects that I just can't commit myself to. The skin feels burned and like a mask on my face and the sensation is maddening form the surface and then underneath in the nerves. I am worried that the acupuncture won't resolve the nerve pain. And I don't see how taking this medicine with all my symptoms is going to get me out the door and improve my quality of life which would be the purpose to take it. I'd rather not change my brain chemistry and be putting these things in my body at a young age, and then wondering when would I come off and will the pain still be there, and hearing about withdrawals and it just sounds like a second nightmare. But I am very depressed naturally as I am pretty much bed ridden due to the pain and on top of the damages and now limitations on my life are all giving me no way to cope. I can't even make it to my therapy appointments, or sleep till 2 am. I was the exact opposite before this happened. I was taking a summer full of classes, I was getting my hair done, buying make up, going to all my appointments, sleeping well. I just had hated the scarring and spot treating them was really helping and it was making me feel a lot better. I hate that he went across my whole face without this ever being the plan. If he stopped when I said to, I might've made it out a whole lot better. One cheek would've been saved, and more than half of the other.I need ice nearby all day.

Mandy: Even for those not in pain the emotional trauma is no less concerning as I know if all the sensations went away it would still hurt me very deeply. Though it definitely would make it livable if I felt normal physically... but emotional pain can be just as debilitating, maybe more.

thing is I don't see this sensation going away especially the discomfort the surface gives my face. It feels tight and plastered on my face and dried out, if you can imagine...like not soft and pliable and elastic. My body just senses with huge uncomfortable difference, and when I look at it I can SEE why which increases my anxiety. I've never had these issues with my tzone (excluding lip and chin) on my boney areas. My soft tissue on my cheek just singed and couldn't take it. I knew it couldn't nor would I trust a laser on it ever, for what if it's normal? I have huge regrets of wanting the sides of my nose done that last time that day, but no use, can't go back. But my forehead which was treated so aggressively 3 times with many passes actually makes me feel more like the old me, and improved my color and scarring a lot. It's like I swapped problems. Somehow I was able to cope so much better/different though before this even with scars. My cheeks were a huge comfort I guess.

So basically I'd have to go on medicines to cope with the pain, which looks like the pain is going to be long term. I'm just about halfway through a year of this... which is so crazy to me. It feels like yesterday none of this existed. I'm losing patience as things are not improving.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 am

Something I read about burn pain

Chronic pain

Damaged and regenerating nerve tissues can give rise to complex neuropathic pain syndromes whereby the sensation of the painful stimulus far outlives its expected duration. This can destroy the sleep pattern, result in depressive symptoms and impair rehabilitation. There may be hyperalgesia (an increased response to a painful stimulus) and allodynia (a painful response to a normally innocuous stimulus) both which i have . This may be a significant problem starting quite early in the post-injury course and persisting for many years after the initial injury (Table 1). This type of pain is very difficult to treat using conventional analgesics, unless there is ongoing inflammation or tissue damage. The severity of chronic symptoms is often related to the size of the burn and the number of skin grafts performed. Treatment includes antidepressants (amitriptyline), anticonvulsants (gabapentin and sodium valproate), regional nerve block and cognitive behavioural therapy.

I still can't get over how what I went in for I knew the outcome as I had done it twice. I knew it wouldn't cause serious harm. Then I come out with double treated than wanted or intended, which was actually my worst nightmare, which I have guilt about not knowing what was in his head that day... and then coming out with an injury and pain to last my lifetime. I had TWO scars next to my nose left that I just wanted touched lightly, as it helped smooth out many others after my second session in that area... which I'd heal fine in 5 days. What this doctor did knocked me off my feet, ruined my schooling, career path, hobbies, social life, regular activities, and mental health. And now these medicines would jeopardize my physical health. It's so much to come to terms with.
laurajean13

PostPosted by cristeena » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:20 am

Honey, I am so so so sorry for the physical and emotional pain you are experiencing right now :(

Have you exchanged any info with Bluebuzz81? She was in severe pain with burning and texture problems few years ago, and I know that after a while, diligent use of Psoria Gold helped her dramatically begin to heal eventually. She used to have to sleep in her closet and completely wrap up her face/wear a hat when driving, the burning and discomfort were so bad. I would try to find all her posts or reach out to her to see if she has any guidance for you.

My heart breaks for you, biggest hugs, we are all here for you, and I hope you start to see some type of healing very soon xoxo
cristeena

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:15 pm

I have had no improvement and have pain all day long. I've been to several doctors for managing pain, but the truth is the fact that healing hasn't taken place this long is not a good sign and unusual. I feel screwed. The surface pain from being burned feels like a mask, underneath is nerve pain and heat and burning triggered by normal activity. Depression is bad. The only thing I can try is Neurontin for the nerve pain which is an off label use but I know it won't mask or help all the issues if any. I don't like the idea of taking a medicine not approved for this use, and being an experiment. I also don't like the idea of taking a medicine for a condition that's disabled me with no hope of recovery on it's own. There's been no sign of hope.
laurajean13

PostPosted by Erica » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:56 am

Laurajean, I can't remember if you've tried acupuncture or not?
Erica

PostPosted by DCNGA » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:18 am

While not a cure, it's a treatment worth looking into...biofeedback.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by Me2 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:13 pm

My Grandmother did Biofeedback for her back pain and she said it helped her. She had two or three back surgeries and didn't want anymore operations so she chose Biofeedback instead.
Me2

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 pm

I tried acupuncture and was supposed to see results by the 5th week and if didn't then he was honest that it won't help much further. It didn't work and I wasn't surprised since laser created many different problems that cause pain. The heat (flaring), the dryness (burn) and then the nerves. I am not convinced how anything can help these aspects as I can see the problem and if the flare and dryness is not fixable, I am GOING to feel it as long as I can feel. It prevents sleep, normal showering and functioning. I am disabled and feel tortured everyday. As a last ditch effort I was going to try neurontin which is not even FDA approved for nerve pain but commonly used, and on the lowest dose am already getting bad side effects from just day 2. Zero appetite, sore throat, dry eyes and dizziness (which is the most common side effect). I only had started on 100 mg and people take over 1000 a day which would do who knows what to me. But I'd say 300 - 600 would be average and I don't see how my quality of life would be any better with these side effects. So today I didn't take it because out of no where I got what seemed like a severe 24 hour stomach flu. My cheek (for some reason the left) is very damaged and gets more flaring, and has more burn damage and dryness crinkling. My depression is worsening the longer this goes on and I hit my lowest point now that I am certain 100% this is permanent and things haven't changed much for 4 months. I am also trying the neurontin topically in a cream which I haven't received yet but I know my problems aren't near fixing and I am disabled the way I am left. I hope no one goes through the deceit I have experienced, getting a procedure done on an area I was 100% against with a doctor I thought I 100% trusted for almost 4 years. My last treatment and what should've been the beginning a better chapter in my life has become the end of all simplest pleasure and my life. There are too many aspects to my pain. If it was on my body (not my face) and didn't cause flushing or dehydration and I kept my sleeping eating and grooming habits I would hold onto hope, but on top of that my damage is bad that I have no confidence to work or pursue anything. I feel less hope than when I had pitted scars on my face, and I live worse also. My symptoms seemed to have plateaued and I can not live this way another year. I have recently been to a neuropsycologist as my last attempt for help and we know that healing must take place ultimately to get on with life and my options to make me comfortable in the meantime are not great in my opinion, and my hopes for healing are not guaranteed and are not looking in my favor. Everyone agrees that for it to have gone on this long is unusual, and this situation in general is extremely unusual even with laser damage. This is the worst thing could imagine below being burned by fire or acid on my face.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:17 pm

My pain and burning has been out of control and constant up until 2 weeks ago. I tried a medication, Tramadol and it's helped TREMENDOUSLY. I am finally living some kind of life after 9 months of hell. I struggle with anger and still some heat but it's at least controlled and I feel more normal.
laurajean13

PostPosted by taija82 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:32 pm

Great to hear Laura! Hopefully things get better from here for you all the best xx
taija82

PostPosted by Janey44 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:50 pm

So glad to hear that you're getting some relief! What a nightmare you've been through!
Janey44

PostPosted by LMS0822 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:40 am

That's great news laurajean! I'm so happy for you. I give tramadol to my patients all the time and will never look at it the same! So happy that you have gotten some relief. :)
LMS0822

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:53 am

I have a lot of anger that I go through everyday. I am heartbroken over the damage and just furious really. The cut off under my eye is just very obvious when you really look and my cheek is always very pink compared to it and my neck. The lightening of my skintone and pattern on my cheek makes me self conscious. I've been busying myself but at times it really gets a hold of me. Thanks for the support everyone.
laurajean13

PostPosted by LMS0822 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:02 am

Oh i know exactly what you are talking about. I have anger issues because of this as well. I know it's not healthy and that I need to try to overcome this. I think we are at about the same amount of time out aren't we? I'm at 6 months now and it feels like eternity.
LMS0822

PostPosted by Erica » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Not only do we have anger but we're also grieving. :(
Erica

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm actually doing a program for emotional support that uses DBT for coping skills and I am going to a new person who works with nerve pain and is more holistic. I'm eating very well, taking fish oils, one of the creams I am using is apex energetics oxicell k 22. My flushing and pinkness is pretty bad, and can be debilitating. Cool air blowing and cool packs help me throughout the day in combo with meds. I go back to the neurologist tomorrow. I still pray that I will be able to live without ice packs and do exercise again and feel "normal". That dry crinkled burned look is better than it had been, now it's mostly the color and texture that I'm not thrilled about and number one, the pain. I will always hate that this happened, and always wish it went another way, but I am looking towards the future and don't want this to ruin EVERYTHING. I can't let it. People don't judge, and care about me as a person and that's something I realized... and people who would judge are not worth my time.
laurajean13

PostPosted by taija82 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Laura, I'm so glad things are looking up for you. I'm sorry I haven't emailed you in awhile, I wasn't in right frame of mind myself and now life is throwing more crap on my way unrelated to my skin, and coming to these forums takes a piece of my soul every time, I actually dread opening my email account now as I can't turn away from anyone who needs help and it's been taxing time. I didn't want my gloominess to get to anyone.

Brilliant you are seeing someone that's excellent! I hope they can help you and get forward you have been stuck in hell long enough now. I keep thinking of you xx
taija82

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi Taiji,

I am still suffering constantly but I AM doing things I thought would be impossible to do so that's something. I totally understand I wasn't in the frame of mind for months either. Eventually we will catch up some. Still think of you also, we just have to keep trying and moving forward. xo lauren
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:28 am

Also, I am considering trying needling on the bad texture maybe on a small area near my ears first. I need to wait till I have time though and that may be a while. Has anyone tried that? if so let me know.
laurajean13

PostPosted by LMS0822 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm

I know someone who is trying needling right now. She just had her second treatment so (fingers crossed) that she will see improvement. She is almost two years out.
LMS0822

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks keep me updated. When my skin is hot or I shower my holes look more dilated and gross. When its cold they contract a bit. It's so gross I hate it I am afraid it's going to be permanently pink also with this debilitating heat and flush.
laurajean13

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:44 am

Last night I needled two of the worse scarred holes near my hairline to see if it does anything. I have very precise eyes and will know, which doesn't help having my cheek littered with damage. I swear that if it does I would needle these holes one by one if I had to over time.
laurajean13

PostPosted by taija82 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:23 am

Hi Laura, please let us know if it helps at all. It's cold here and my face is flushing all day long and it's red constantly I'm not sure if it's normal with cold weather or is this some kind of rosacea now? I'm getting acne again so fed up with my face I want to peel it of with a cheese slicer grrr.

I had to come off the pill because it gives me cellulite another great gift. I'm tempted to ask my derm for accutane if only to rid this acne curse.
taija82

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 pm

I suffer from really bad flushing, it increases in heat, with eating and more so around 4 pm to nighttime. Even when my skin has no flush I have permanent thinning and pink vessels I can see beneath the skin which are from the laser damage, and this is the area that is flushing and getting hot. I don't know how I can get rid of these blood vessels from so close to the surface if I cannot thicken my skin. I read that lasers are the only way now which sounds like a bad idea after what I've gone through, but what if it's the only way? I hear about these KTP 532 lasers, such as excel v... i try everything from a holistic standpoint to help my body prevent flushing but with little success. I am on tegretol for zapping electric shock-like pain which helps considerably. But the burning and weird sensations and overdryness from the laser have no improved. I am going to school and have a relationship and try the best I can but I suffer everyday with physical pain, embarrassment from red burning cheeks and pain that is unreal during extreme flushes. I need help and dont know who to go to now
laurajean13

PostPosted by RW39 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Please don't do laser again. you won't be able to forgive yourself if it does something worse than it has now. While you may think "it cannot get worse" it probably can. I really don't think its such a good idea. Don't return to the scene of the crime, always asking for trouble. I would try LED red lights before hitting up a laser again.

As for the flushing, i honestly can't help you I'm sorry. I suffered with post ipl rosacea for the first 4 months but luckily it stopped---it left it's damage though. Try and thicken up the skin through vitamin c. thats what i've been doing. does it work? Seems to make my nails grow fast and hair grow thick, so i don't know what it's doing to my skin.

Best of luck
RW39

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:10 pm

I can't put that topically, only internal. It doesn't help. Nothing does, and no one seems to be able to help. It sucks that even when I'm flushing I have two pink stripes and broken looking pigment going down the sides of my cheek to jawline. It just keeps getting triggered I don't know how to the skin can thicken unless time does it. But it's been 16 months and hasn't changed so...

I know things can get worse, I just NEED it to get better and I will wait but there will hit that point where I realize whether or not time is going to help. I assume by 2 1/2 years I will be getting extremely pessimistic and desperate if I don't see any headway.

I am taking fish oil daily as anti inflammatory and see this holistic nerve specialist who gave me a lot of supplements all for inflammation. It's just not doing enough but I will keep taking it.

In the mean time I go to therapy for my anger and pain.
laurajean13

PostPosted by RW39 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Yup, im in the 16th month club as of recent too, and the therapy club for that matter. What inflammation supplements are you taking?
RW39

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Fish oil, some other things like nitric balance and magnesium, certain things a doctor gave to help my nerves heal. However I am getting concerned if these "good" things could make my symptoms worse because they can be potent vasodilators. I'm in a pretty confusing situation.
laurajean13

PostPosted by redbysciton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:49 pm

I agree, I don't think lasers will help the flushing if you had a bad rxn to the IPL. That Dr. Arndt I saw near Boston as a consult for my IPL problems basically had this advice: Don't ever do IPL again. When I asked him what I could do about some sebaceous hyperplasia that was aggravated (and I got new ones from) from the IPL, he said, don't do electrocautery either. This was a guy in a huge cosmetic procedures practice that does laser all the time. Dr. Dover is also in that practice. Dr. Arndt didn't even say, oh, we have a safe laser that can fix your problems. No, he said stay away from IPL. Don't do electrosurgery either. Stick to the doxy, it seems to be helping, and if the retinA helps your acne, stick w/ that. Use good ss. He did not recommend ANY "procedures."

If flushing is a problem, explore antihistamines (topical and oral). Try to figure out if any foods or environmental factors make it worse. How about MIrvaso? I have not tried that yet, and I hear some people get rebound flushing, but maybe if the cream was diluted ....also, blood pressure meds can reduce flushing.

Dare I say it, BEFORE IPL, I did get some botox and noticed it helped reduce rosacea flushing, oiliness and bumps in my forehead where I got it. But that involves a needle, and I am not going to go there now ....
redbysciton

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Never had IPL actually had Fraxel Restore to resurface bumpy scarring in tzone, then he went on a baby smooth cheek against my consent at last 30 seconds of procedure and it turned into a snowballed nightmare where he felt he couldn't stop due to starting and literally didn't respond to my requests to stop. Very horrible experience for any patient.

So had a completely different type of procedure at KTP laser isn't IPL. But Yea, still a laser I know what you mean. Besides flushing I have permentant pinkness due to this literally leaving "gaps" in my surface covering. Fore example, when there is no flush I look at my skin and the middle of my cheek has literally a fractionated surface of my white pigmented skin that never really healed back, so I can see tiny pink vascular pieces of skin. Step back a foot and it just looks pink but up close I see the problem. I feel like when I do flush those areas look so much redder than normal because there is no thick surface to lessen it's appearance. Don't know if anyone can relate to that type of damage.
laurajean13

PostPosted by RW39 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Red,

does the doxy only help your acne or texture as well?
RW39

PostPosted by redbysciton » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:39 am

RW, the doxy helps the texture, but only indirectly, and not 100%, in the following manner: the IPL triggered severe inflammation and a massive rosacea flare. The low dose doxy (20 mg 2 x/day, which is really a generic approximation of Oracea) is a sub-antimicrobial dose which basically kills only the inflammation. The inflammation causes acne, rosacea pustules, the swelling and edema of rosacea, etc., etc. So the doxy helps prevent bumpy texture.

Also, I never got atrophic scarring from acne or rosacea pustules before the IPL (I only got PIH and red marks, and in fact, rosacea pustules hardly EVER occurred). I now get atrophic scars from every little pustule, every little injury. It's like the collagen or whatever was damaged by the IPL and every time I get a pustule or even a scrape the skin is no longer able to repair itself like it used to, so I get a hole. So, if the doxy helps prevent bumps, it's also preventing the new atrophic scars.

So, the doxy is not able, in my opinion, to fix the immediate textural changes caused by IPL, but it helps prevent new changes caused by the IPL, and quieting down the never ending inflammatory process that IPL triggered also seems to help smooth things out somewhat. If I had to quantify, I'd say I get a 25% improvement overall in texture. I have tried stopping the doxy, and my face gets very bumpy, inflamed,more holes from the the bumps, and I end up w/ a mess.

The other aspect of IPL texture is the fact that now my face has the same look as skin that is extremely dry - lots of superficial crinkles and wrinkles all over, orange peel skin, etc. Before IPL, I had very oily, smooth skin. It is still oily, but looks shriveled and dry. I find that using a heavy cream like Cerave in a tub helps improve this texture somewhat, and only temporarily, w/ each use. I think the water attracting and holding properties of the Cerave help to temporarily plump the skin out a little and help make the holes in the "orange peel skin" appear smaller. From this, I am thinking that adding a nano-formula of a hyaluronic acid product might be even more effective, w/ the idea being that the nano particle sized formula may help the HA get down into the skin more and increase the plumping effect. Of course, HA dermal fillers injected by needle might do the same thing but much better, but I am terrified of more complications. So I am going to try to find a good nano formula HA product. I hear Hada Labo makes some.
redbysciton

PostPosted by redbysciton » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:46 am

laurajean, sorry, I forgot your experience was w/ Fraxel, not IPL. Can I ask, before the Fraxel, did you ever notice that your skin reacted very negatively to heat or light? I think in my case I was already someone who for whatever reason reacted badly to heat and light, and the IPL triggered an inflammatory response.

Or do you think the settings were wrong? And when I say wrong, I mean, objectively wrong in that they clearly exceeded mfgr's recommendations, or that they were wrong for you and caused damage, despite being w/in mfgr recommended settings?
redbysciton

PreviousNext

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)