My Damage from Fraxel Dual

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

My Damage from Fraxel Dual

PostPosted by AloneInNYC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:54 am

It all started over a year ago when I asked for a referral to a dermatologist at my doctor's. I regret it so much. I had a few rolling acne scars on my cheeks and temple from teenage acne and I was having congestion problems with my pores. When I met with this dermatologist, I told her about my concerns. She looked at my face up close for 1 sec. and said "At this point, Fraxel would help with the scars How old are you?" I was 24. "I'm sure you don't want to walk around with scars for the rest of your life". She said I would need 5-6 treatment to see results. I asked her about side effects and she said " there will be swelling and redness that goes away 1 week and possibility of my skin pigmenting since I'm asian. Then I was prescribed Hydroquinone and Tretinion gel to pretreat. Unsure about the laser, I researched about fraxel online. I saw there was a high percent of worth-it review on real self. I did not see the negative reviews while I was online. All the site the shows up are how great fraxel was, etc, etc.

I trusted the dermatologist and believed I would benefit from the laser. I booked my first fraxel on May of 2012. When I arrived, the PA applied numbing cream on my face. An hour later, derm came in and lasered my whole face. I asked if I needed a follow up visit and I was told no, only to come in 1 month after for another fraxel. My face was swollen but didn't turn pink. Things looked great during the initial swelling, and all the scars were flattened out. 3 weeks later, the swelling settled and the scars reappeared. Believing the derm that my scars will improve with each procedure, I booked another appt for laser. The second time , the derm raised the power settting "to be more effective" on the scars. This time my face got pink when it was swollen. I did not think much of it because I was told the pink/redness was one of the side effects that I was told would go away. Since the power was turned up higher, I gave myself more time to heal and booked 3rd fraxel 3 months after. This time, the derm raised the setting even higher, which made the pinkess last more than 1 week on my face. In the following weeks, my skin felt very dry so I bought a humidifier thinking it was due to the weather since it was fall. Unaware that my skin was changing, I went on with my daily life. My eyes were also very dry and gets tired easily, which I thought was from working with computers all day at my job. I decided to give my face longer time heal for six months since the derm raised the laser setting. My 4th laser was on May of 2013. I was numbed for 2 hr this time which I thought was unusual. The derm later came in, looked and my face before the procedure and asked if I was caring for my skin properly. I told her yes, I was using the bleaching cream. Alarms should have been going off in my head when she asked me that question. She said "I believe you. I know you are." Then proceeded to laser my whole face again at an even higher laser setting. I don't know why she would continue to laser me if she saw that something was not right.

After my 4th procedure, something didn't feel right so I went online and searched again about Fraxel and saw a lot of negative reviews this time. The damages described online are exactly what I was seeing on my face. I am now 1 year out from my 1st laser and about 3 months from the 4th. Now, my skin looks a lot worse than before I had fraxel on my face. I will not be going back for the 5th/6th laser because I'm too afraid of damaging my face even more. Now, I have large pores/micro scarring all over my face that makes me look like I have orange peel skin. My old scars have hardened, and ended up with a lot of new scars that were not there before. Every little blemish I get on my face become a scars. My skin looks leathery from the repeated swelling and shrinking (which makes sense because if you know how animal skin is treated to become leather...). When I smile my skin looks lumpy and the larges pores would connect to make the skin look very liney on my cheeks. On top of that, my pore problems have gotten worse. I have blackheads and oil deposits all over my face. My left temple aches time to time from where the laser was repeated passed for numerous times. I notice there are small broken capillaries on my nose, under my eyes and on my cheeks when I look at my face in the magnifying mirror. I believe my eyes are also damaged as a result.

I cried so much the past few months, knowing I allowed myself to get this horrible laser. The scars on my left side of the face especially bad and looks like I'm doing drugs. I have trouble sleeping at night because, I worry about how much worse it could become. I want to cry every time I think about my face. I don't socialize with friends anymore because it's taken a big toll on my self-esteem and I no longer feel confident about myself. I can't kill myself because I care about my family, but sometimes I wish I can just go peacefully at night when I'm asleep. I'm so afraid of what other damage might show up on my face in the future. I'm only 26 years old and not ready to age 20 yrs anytime soon. My school starts at the end of the month and I don't know how I will get through my classes. This forum is the only place where I can come to cope with what has happened since my family does not see or understand what's going on. This by far is the most traumatic thing I have been through my whole life. My life will never be the same.

Please don't get lasers to those who are thinking about it. You don't know what damage will happen, until it's already done.
AloneInNYC

Re: My Damage from Farxel Dual

PostPosted by afraidafteripl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 am

I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I am also 26 and received major cosmetic and systemic damage after one IPL to cheeks in march last year.
It can get better though but it is a very traumatic and hard experience.
I am sorry you have to go through this pain as well but keep the hope in improvements. That is what keeps me going.
HUGS!
afraidafteripl

Re: My Damage from Farxel Dual

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Alone in NY,

Thank you for sharing your story here, I know it's not always easy... One of our members posted this article about grief that is applicable to all of us. I think it's really worth printing for family and friends to read as well; it helps to give them understanding. http://www.expressivegriefcounseling.co ... ised+grief

We're here for you and know you're definitely not alone.
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

Re: My Damage from Fraxel Dual

PostPosted by DCNGA » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm

So very sorry for your pain. The very worst thing of all, even Fraxel won't help with rolling acne scars. It is supposed to help (we know it's a disaster for many) depressed scarring, not rolling. There's virtually nothing that will improve rolling acne scars so you were misled from the beginning on the laser's capabilities.

I'm glad you found the forum. Those here understand your pain and sorrow.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by AloneInNYC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi afraidafteripl,
I'm sorry you went through similar experience with ipl. I feel its harder to deal with it since we're still in young and have many years ahead of us. Thank you for your kind words, I'm trying to stay positive but its not easy since I have to look in the mirror everyday.

Hi Erica,
Thank you for your link on disenfranchised grief. My family is not fluent in english, but the article will help me explain them better of my situation.

Hi DCNGA,
Thanks for correcting my typo. It's so messed up what these derms do for a quick buck. Many of the derms I've been to, have tried to sell me procedures that the insurance does not cover. I can't believe myself that I bought into it. I have a hard time trusting doctors because of this.

I've been eating healthier with many fruits and vegetables and changed my lifestyle in hopes of improving what was damaged. I hope that some of the ditches/holes/scars will fill itself in over time. I'm too afraid to try another procedure after what's happened. Has anyone seen improvement with their scars by going the natural way?

I am glad I found this forum and people who understand what I am going through. This really helps me feel better.
AloneInNYC

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:42 pm

If you've been reading posts here, you've probably noticed that we mention Psoriagold. I don't think it's too late for you to try it to see if it helps. I do believe that loads of sleep, good nutrition and low stress (easier said than done) can help in your healing. Also, try to avoid the mirror as much as possible (also much easier said than done), the anxiety it triggers is brutal, as you know.
Erica

PostPosted by mugenman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:27 am

I was also damaged by the 1927 wavelength which I gathered from another one of your threads. Your issues are synonymous to mine and I'm currently 25 years old. Do you know the settings the derm used and was the procedure painful? I experience those same emotions and wish I could turn off the anxiety through a peaceful passing. I'm over a year out and I didn't heal well, but hopefully you will. It's best to keep the stress levels down to enable proper healing. I've noticed a lot of people who are lucky to see improvement ingest a lot of anti-inflammatory foods and supplements. Hang in there friend, you're not alone in this unfortunate fate.
mugenman

PostPosted by AloneInNYC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Erica,
I've been using cerave to moisturize which helps with the dry/tightness. Not sure which Psoriagold will work for me. I don't have pigmentation problems but a lot of textural/scar problems from the laser. I look in the mirror a lot less than before and it certainly helps a bit.

Hi Mugenman,
thank you for your support. I am sorry that you are going through the same thing because of the horrible fraxel dual. I don't know the exact no of each setting but one of them but the third one was 50. What setting was used on you? There was some pain even though I was numbed with a cream. My eyes teared after every session. I believe everyone can heal to a certain degree if we give it enough time. I think you can too.

My face went through a similar phase when I was 21. It was tight and dry and looked liney all over, but I didn't have large pores then. Now that I think about it, it maybe because the derm I was seeing at the time convinced me to get v-beam for some of the post acne pigmentation. These doctors always push lasers/procedures on small problems that doesn't require them. My skin did recover from that 1 vbeam but not sure how long it took. Now I'm back to the same problem again because of fraxel but now with large pores added to the mix. My face now looks grainy from the combination of scars/pores problems. I am hopeful but I don't know how long it will take for me to heal this time. Hopefully soon. Now I take vitamin supplements and eat a lot of more vegetable and water rich fruits like melons. Any other fruits/foods you guys can suggest to help with healing?
AloneInNYC

PostPosted by IPLdamage » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Psoria ultra face is probably what is needed. It did a lot for me from a textural perspective so i cannot recommend it enough...it is expensive but well worth it
IPLdamage

PostPosted by Erica » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Psoriagold may help with reducing your scarring as your skin is remodeling but you could talk with Siana (their customer service rep) and she could explain the exact process to help determine if it's right for you. I'm three years post damage and I'm using it for one year to see if it helps my scarring.

BLUEBERRIES! They have amazing healing properties for the skin. Kale and chia seeds also are especially good for the skin. I use a vitamix and try to blend these ingredients daily.
Erica

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Mugenman, can I post links to your pictures on RS on our forum? You have very good examples with your photos of how the damage progresses and your pics show the damaged texture very well.

Thank you.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by mugenman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:20 pm

DCNGA wrote:Mugenman, can I post links to your pictures on RS on our forum? You have very good examples with your photos of how the damage progresses and your pics show the damaged texture very well.

Thank you.

You may.
mugenman

PostPosted by AloneInNYC » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:42 am

ipldamage,
May I ask what laser cause the damage and how long after the procedure did you start using Psoria?

Erica,
I emailed PsoriaGold people using their contact-us page. Is that how you reach Siana? I started having blueberries with my breakfast this week. I'll start eating Kale too. Hopefully I'm on a path to better healing.
AloneInNYC

PostPosted by taija82 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:17 pm

Your story is identical to mine, even I was asked do I use sunscreen, was I looking after my skin and I should have had alarm bells ringing by then but just answered yes , I use sunscreen every day. She also said I believe you and did deeper treatment than the previous ones. Like wtf why?!!

I think revenge every day I literally want to throw acid on her face
taija82

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:29 pm

AloneinNYC, I just read your story. It broke my heart. Your story could be mine. I so relate to everything you feel and wrote. I fell into the same sales pitch and trusted, like you. At least you were smart enough to stop and catch on and skip the 5th and 6th. I still kept believing my doctor and couldn't connect the damage because I was so convinced that it was FDA approved and safe. I just wanted you to know that I'm really sorry for what you are going thru. I know you posted this a year ago, so maybe things have improved in some way. Thinking of you and wishing you healing! You're not alone, AloneinNYC. ;) Thank you so much for posting your story.
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)