Thinking of doing the Recell

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Thinking of doing the Recell

PostPosted by Adav1925 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:53 am

So like all of you have I'm sure, I have been researching doctors, surgeries, treatments, products and the like for almost 2 years.

Everything I've researched has led me to pretty much more anxiety as I know my only options in the United States is MORE laser (out of the question) or Dermabrasion, which also comes with some very scary, ugly risks.

I've e-mailed Jeremy Rawlinson, who is a plastic surgeon at SkinFX in the UK who is (from what I've heard from OTHER doctors in the UK) a very skilled plastic surgeon who very experienced in the Recell procedure. A lot of the surgeons use ablative lasers first, then do the Recell. I like the fact that Dr. Rawlings does dermabrasion first, then Recell. Unfortunately, I've read some forums that are saying he has moved to Australia, and only performs surgeries at the UK clinic once a quarter. I don't know if that is true, so I e-mailed him through his website. I'll let anyone know his response for anyone who is interested.

I was also referred to Zenith Laser Clinic in Nottingham by another doctor. I have already spoken to the patient coordinator who asked me to send pictures of my skin, and is setting up a Skype consultation for me (all consultations are free, whether in person or via Skype). I don't like the idea of them performing a deep ablative laser on my skin first, but I'll see what the doctor has to say. I'm open to it ONLY because the Recell speeds up the healing process so your chances of scarring is greatly reduced. Plus, I think it also avoids that waxy skin texture that so many of us have already from IPL and laser treatments. If I'm sill left with a waxy skin texture, but it's smooth, I can live with that (and hide it with make-up).

I'll keep you all updated on what Dr Mailin says about my scarring and if it can be improved with Recell.

I'm for once seeing light at the end of this tunnel. Of course, it won't fix the dermal atrophy in my cheeks, but that doesn't bother me as much as the texture of my skin, and realistically, it can be improved with temporary fillers before/if I take the FG plunge in the future. We'll see.
Adav1925

Re: Thinking of doing the Recell

PostPosted by afraidafteripl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 am

Hi,

Did you try psoria gold ultra face?

It has helped me with the waxy texture. I mean really a great deal.

Bluebuzz has had very good results with psoria gold and you can see pics of her skin now and from before using it.
afraidafteripl

PostPosted by electricboom » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Good luck, RECELL looks very promising! I was doing research on it at first when I didn't know what the heck was going on with my skin when I had retinol damage/inflammation from it...but unfortunately it isn't available in the U.S...they're "testing" it now I believe..But yeah, I heard about them having to do laser before...which would irk me as well...I wonder if they could do a chemical peel instead? Very curious to here more though so keep us updated and good luck :)
electricboom

PostPosted by Adav1925 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:17 pm

afraid, The Psoriagold sounds good, but honestly, I'm kind of done with creams and other topicals. I've spent so much money already, I might as well just save it for surgery, because that's what I'm going to need, lol.

My texture is more than wavy too, it has TONS of scarred pores/ice pick scarring now. I also have some acne scars I never had before the IPL. My face never scarred before this. And I get scars from acne I didn't even pick at. So in reality, what I'm getting treated is scarring. No topical is going to make that go away unfortunately.

If they could do a chemical peel first that would be awesome instead of an ablative laser, but I think it would have to be a pretty deep peel in order to ablate those outer layers to rid the scarring first before they could do recell. But I'll ask what the different options are! I'd rather a dermabrasion, but I don't know if he offers that. And I think the only person I know of that does a dermabrasion first is the first Dr. I mentioned who may be in Australia.

I'll ask him more questions when I talk to him. All the patient coordinator said after the doctor saw my pictures was, "The doctor saw your pictures and believes the procedure will work well and give you much improvement.."

SOmething along those lines.. That isn't word-for-word because I don't have the e-mail in front of me. But seriously, how many times have we all heard THAT before?

Right now I'm just exploring all of my options. I'm not definitely going to do this. To go to the UK and have surgery is A LOT of money. I have to see if the potential improvement outweighs spending the money, or worse... my face getting jacked up more than it is!
Adav1925

PostPosted by electricboom » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Well I hope something will work for you, I'm assuming you live in the U.S?
electricboom

PostPosted by Adav1925 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks electric!

I hope so too. I can't imagine living the rest of my life with this face. I'm not looking for perfect skin, because I know that's not possible. I'm just looking for a vast improvement so I can leave this whole part of my life behind and look back on it like, "Wow.. that really sucked."

It's funny. I really wanted this done for myself, but now that I've had my daughter, I really want to do it for her. I want her to have a great childhood. I don't want her to look back on those years and think about how sad she was that Mommy never wanted to leave the house and do things with her. That's not fair to her. I want us to do things together and me not obsessing over what my face looks like all the time. Now, I could just get over it, but I'm afraid that's just not going to happen anytime soon. I wish I could just say, "Oh well, there are more important things to worry about, and people out there with more serious issues and I should be thankful." I AM thankful, but I'm still sad that this happened to any of us.

Well right now we live in Japan (until Saturday) and then we are moving to the states. I would really love it if this works, but I have learned to not trust doctors. Sadly that's where I'm at.

I DID write a very long letter to the surgeon who owns the practice where my IPL was performed. I don't expect anything back. The letter was for ME, not for him. I feel better that I finally explained how his negligence by letting techs who have had little to no training perform the lasers and IPL, that he is risking the chance of causing further damage to other people. I told him how he changed my life forever, and not in a good way. I also explained that this type of damage is not really treatable, and that it will cost me THOUSANDS to get only minor improvements, but that I will NEVER have MY skin back.

I'm sure he didn't care, and I don't expect him to. I just needed to write that letter before we leave here. It was like I needed that closure, because after the damage, I never went back to see him.
Adav1925

PostPosted by Erica » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Adav, Good for you for writing the letter! Of course you'll never know for sure if you've made an impact, but my guess is that you have. Erica
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by bacella » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:53 pm

I've also been looking into recell for my fraxel damage. I have had consultations with Dr Khan and Dr Maini already. Dr. Khan was happy to go ahead with the recell but Dr. Maini recommended RF (endymed) instead, which surprised me as it's much cheaper. I've got a third consultation this week with Medicare in London. Just read that Skin FX clinic in Glasgow has closed so no chance of pinning down Dr Rawlin in the UK anymore, I would imagine. I would have preferred to meet with him as he does dermabrasion instead of laser. How are you doing in your research?
bacella

PostPosted by taija82 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 am

Hi I wonder if anyone here has done the Recell? I'm in australia and I'm interested in finding this Doctor to see if he has an opinion. I would be too scared to do anything yet but it is a viable option in future maybe.
taija82

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:17 am

bacella wrote:I've also been looking into recell for my fraxel damage. I have had consultations with Dr Khan and Dr Maini already. Dr. Khan was happy to go ahead with the recell but Dr. Maini recommended RF (endymed) instead, which surprised me as it's much cheaper. I've got a third consultation this week with Medicare in London. Just read that Skin FX clinic in Glasgow has closed so no chance of pinning down Dr Rawlin in the UK anymore, I would imagine. I would have preferred to meet with him as he does dermabrasion instead of laser. How are you doing in your research?

RF has damaged many here, some in this same thread. I would not advise or recommend it under any circumstance.

If Recell is the same thing as PRP, PRP has done little if anything to restore the skin of those who've tried it but I also don't believe it caused any further issues. PRP is not inexpensive, as well, and then not to see dramatic improvement makes it a gamble. You have to decide, if Recell is akin to PRP, if it's worth it or not for possibly little benefit.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Recell and PRP are completely different. Recell comes with risk as you have to ablate the surface.
laurajean13

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Oh, my. Scary.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by laurajean13 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Yea like when a person gets burned it's an option in some cases instead of the tradition skin graft which is beneficial for many reasons. Then doctors are seeing how it can be used in certain cosmetic cases. It's a way to restore pigment lost from burn or vitilago.The only way it'd help texture is indirectly. You'd have to ablate the skin and heal with recell which only benefit is to speed healing and cut risks or scarring. All recell helps is healing and anyone trying it now is basically a guinea pig. Just like we are with lasers.
laurajean13

PostPosted by taija82 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:04 am

I realise this is old post now but did adav1925 end up doing recell in the end? Just wondering if she ended up going ahead and if she didn't , what was the reason ?
taija82

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)