List All Changes To Your Body After Laser/Light Treatments

(Members Only) For more experienced members or those further along in their damage. Discussions of damage and supporting one another.

DISCLAIMER: This area is geared to those who've come to terms with their damage. What might be discussed in this forum may not apply to your situation. If you are experiencing anxiety from your situation or are not prepared to read what some have experienced, please do not read this section. If you are new, please post in the "New Members" section.

List All Changes To Your Body After Laser/Light Treatments

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:01 am

I know there is another post, similar, but I think it would be helpful to simply list everyones side affects in one place to have something to compare. All of the below happened fairly quickly to me after my laser damage, that I noticed it as abnormal promptly, not as if I had aged and it slowly occurred.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************
Ingrown leg hair, all over legs, the first year.
Dents in nail bed of thumbs and big toe.
Ridged finger nails, from the nail bed to the tips.
Ridged toe nails from the nail bed to the tip.
Hand skin no longer tight and have advanced aged.
Pain in muscles thru out the body, neck/shoulders.
Aches and pain in fingers, especially at the top of the thumbs.
Skin easily pulls a far length away from the front and back of my neck.
Sagging neck.
Sagging knees.
Belly button collapsing down.
Stomach muscles no longer seem to be flexing and tight.
Constant bloated stomach (lower Abdomen).
Chest fell, not using muscles to lift up.
Calf muscles atrophied, no definition in muscles. (Not flexing or lifting up)
Thigh muscles atrophied, no definition in muscles. (Not flexing or lifting up)
Same with arms, little muscle.
White, colorless, hypopigmentation in areas where acne scarring was and treated.
Permanent dark burn pigmentation outlines lips and "bleeds" same color towards center.
Straight lines come down from right corner of mouth and wrinkle in, like smoker lines.
Little x'es line bottom lip and chapped/dry.
Pain in gums, having no dental problems.
Strange mouth sores at the very bottom of gum line.
Dark, permanent burn pigmentation remains on skin two years later.
Sucking in cheeks and biting down while sleeping.
Hard to swallow and throat not properly clearing.
Right ear filled and not clearing.
Blurred vision in right eye.
Pain thru out head, constant cracking like knuckles all over areas of the face and head.
(Almost as if areas are trying to snap back into place)
Visually seen twitching, that occurs all over the body.
Pins and needles, in all areas of body.
Constant upper and lower back pain.
All over body skin sagging and advanced aging.
Forehead has fallen down over eyebrows, as muscles are no longer lifting up.
Thin horizontal lines forming, across bridge of nose. Eyebrow to eyebrow (from not holding forehead up)
Vertical lines going down my nose, from laser burns/fat loss in nose.
Nose appears to have dropped down. Either from not holding up cheeks or fat loss in apples of cheeks.
Pain underneath beginning of lower eye brow, flat dents and caves inward to the touch (fat loss or muscles atrophy?)
Constant fatigue and brain fog. (heavy head)
large pores and dashes that mimic laser machine pattern.
permanent scars underneath eyes
bags and bulging underneath eyes.
cheeks sunken down
Cheeks bones appear to not be as high. ( like prague wrote below)
Hollowness under eyes, mostly apparent deepest by lower corners of eyes, and sagging down point at center of cheek.
Discoloration of pigmentation of my top eyelid.*****************************************************************************************************************************
Last edited by hopeful19 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: List all strange changes in body after laser treatment

PostPosted by prague » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:28 am

skin scarring and denting for no reason???? 18 months later??
Shape of face has changed
Cheeks aren't as high; face is more round
Skin has thinned
overall volume loss
oil glands not working on left side of face and very little on right or chin. They have started to work on nose and forehead again.
prague
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by WG1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:10 pm

I've had fat grafting following lipoatrophy caused by IPL and laser. I have textural problems including enlarged pores, and less smoothness to my facial skin and the skin condition described below.

Systemic symptoms since IPL and laser:

Chronically swollen and tender lymph nodes under my jaw and down my neck and throughout the lymphatic system
Liquid in ears. This is uncomfortable but not severely painful
Muscle aches throughout my body but particularly in my legs and back and neck. This pain substantially increases with mild physical exertion.
Less muscle definition throughout my body. Flabbin.ess
Distended stomach, much greater swelling following mild physical exertion.
Pain on my right side along the ribcage. It feels like a very tender bruise. It might somehow be related to lipo or I have a bad bruise that I can't see?
Seborrhoeic dermatitis-LIKE skin condition or little bumps or pimples on skin with mild crustiness and mild redness on my face, neck and back. This skin condition may be linked to vitamin B6 deficiency.
Overproducing oil on my face.
Dry, crinkly, aged skin on arms and legs, hands and feet that includes the appearance of cellulite. My skin looks suddenly aged. If I pinch it it bunches. I wake up with deep sheet marks that take time to go away. No amount of moisturizer or oil of any kind makes this odd dryness go away.
The skin over my knees is baggy-looking. It may be due to loss of muscle definition in the rectus femoris and vastus muscles and partly due to the “dry” skin.
Pores on my arms are enlarged
Chronic gall bladder pain. I did have occasional gall bladder pain before IPL and laser.
At times I have trouble thinking clearly.
Weight gain, swelling or both
Dry hair
Toenails have huge horizontal ridges in them. In fact, I haven't cut them in awhile and the old growth is smoother than new growth. I haven't had a pedicure in over a year.
My throat often will not clear, making my voice sound raspy.
Mild stiffness in hands.
Parathesia in face and other body parts. Hands. The burning and prickling have improved but my nose, lips and eyebrows still tingle a lot.
I should add muscle twitches, left thumb pain and hair on my arm standing up. It looks like prairie grass.
Eyelashes. Where did they go? My eyelashes are thinned out and they're shorter. Anyone else?
Carpal tunnel-type pain in my wrists. My hands and wrists always hurt a little. If I really use my hands they become sore and feel very tired and heavy.
Pain in my feet when I walk.
Blurry vision, difficulty focusing my eyes.
Added October 31,2010-You can add that I've gained 20 pounds since July and that I now need glasses and that my eyes have shrunk back.
I have a pituitary tumor which my endo attributes to cosmetic device radiation. The doctor exposed my eyes to the device.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Hummbird123 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Strange symptom about one month after laser.. my arms were very achy.. I know now it was caused by the laser traveling- I have a spot on my left hand as a result. I have several spots on one of my ears that are still healing and she did not laser my ears. It traveled, there are lines on my face to prove it.
My experiences, thoughts and recommendendations for healing after device damage.
post11655.html#p11655 I am Erica now on this forum.
Hummbird123
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: List All Changes To Your Body After Laser/Light Treatments

PostPosted by cardar » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:14 pm

My pituitary was damaged as a result of this and I now have a pit tumor. I will list all of my symptoms/damage soon.
WG my once beautiful eyelashes are now shorter, thinner and almost non-existant. This just happened 11 months post IPL.
cardar
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: List All Changes To Your Body After Laser/Light Treatmen

PostPosted by WG1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:54 am

I should add that I've had a lot of breast changes. They swell and get a lot more sore than they used to. I got a painful infection in one nipple. When my breasts aren't swollen they seem more saggy than they used to be. :( Like Cardar, an MRI revealed that I have a pituitary tumor and sonogram shows three tumors on my thyroid. My 2nd sono showed that the tumors have shrunk some so I am encouraged that I can get better. My endo wants me to have another MRI soon.

I'm also noticing more broken blood vessels in my legs and I can just see my blood vessels more than I used to be able to.

Bottom line on my body skin is that it has definitely thinned. This would explain the cellulite, greater transparency, texture and how my skin behaves. It's thinner. This is especially noticable on my hands.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by WG1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:53 pm

Does anyone else have symptoms of Raynaud's? http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/rheumatoid-arthritis-skin-problems

What about early rheumatoid arthritis? Joint pain, carpal tunnel, skin thinning.

This happens to my legs although not as bad. This patient is much older than I am. It's an indication (in HER case) of vascular collagen disease. An autoimmune disorder. Diseases in this class include Lupus and R.A. I am NOT diagnosing anything here. I'm just sharing observations and thoughts.

Anyone else have their extremities flush like this?

See these hands? http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Raynauds-Phenomenon.aspx The pink and white mottling happens on my hands and on my legs and feet. It hasn't advanced to the point that I get blue fingertips. I do have numbness, tingling and carpal tunnel in my hands and even such sensations in legs and feet.

But it can be indicative of several vascular collagen autoimmune disorders. That is NOT to say that I necessarily have an autoimmune disease but it's interesting.

Edited by DCNGA to consolidate all posts into one.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Kiki » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:38 pm

I have had Raynaud's syndrome my entire life. It is a difficult problem to have in a Canadian climate, that's for sure. I have to be very careful about not getting frostbitten again. I have been frostbitten on both hands and feet. I wish there was a way of finding out if my Raynaud's syndrome is related to why I ended up with such severe damage from the IPL, considering there's been talk on this board about autoimmune problems being triggered by laser/light... But what if you already have an autoimmune problem... Hmm...
Kiki
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by DCNGA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Funny thing is, laser and light devices are contraindicated for anyone with an autoimmune disease. This info is in the Resources section. It is one of the 'excluding' factors believe it or not. "Funnier" yet, how many were asked if they have an autoimmune disorder before they had laser/light treatment?
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by Kiki » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm

That's right, I remember reading that sometime ago. Of course I was never asked about autoimmunity, nor was this in the questionnaire I filled out (when they ask about allergies to medications, etc.) -- so yeah, curious indeed, and disturbing to say the least.
Kiki
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by WG1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:36 am

I did not have this symptom before but I was certainly not asked if I had an autoimmune disease.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Depressed » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Just seen this post - I too have always had Reynauds disease ie pre-laser. So maybe a reason for the bad reaction to laser..? It was never mentioned as a reason not to have laser. Not that she mentioned any contraindications actually....
Depressed
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by WG1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 pm

You know, I did tend to have cold hands and feet. But I was never diagnosed with Raynaud's and my skin has just changed. This weird flushing on my skin that looks like Raynaud's --don't have to be cold. I have it all the time and with tingling.

So many victims and doctors have brought up blood flow problems and so many have suggested an autoimmune connection.

Very seriously, maybe we should actively seek out a researcher to research us. I don't mean a doctor. I mean a researcher. Like Sorg. Maybe Sorg?
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Who would be willing to?

I also read on the Internet that there is nothing that they know of to treat radiation damage skin. This is talking about people that get therapy for cancer. I know Blu-u with levulan was initially develoPed and is being used for treatment of skin cancer. Having said this.... I highly suspect radiation damage for me. I match all if the above symptoms and more.....
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by DCNGA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:42 pm

I have sought out researcher after researcher, none respond. Sorg won't help beyond what he initially said to me in the email. I wrote to four of his colleagues and countless other researchers here and around the world. Nothing.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by WG1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Researchers ought to be scrambling to study us. I would find all of this utterly fascinating if only it weren't so heart-wrenching. I mean, laser and IPL to the face can destroy the whole body? Who would have guessed that? This is where allopathy drops the ball. They don't study how the body works as a whole, how the systems of the body are interdependent. To me the lack of interest in us speaks volumes about what medical "science" has become. Merely a way to make profit.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by jikai83 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 am

I'm curious how laser affects the entire body? Could all the other bodily symptoms be a result of stress from the damage? Stress alone is capable of a lot of the symptoms mentioned. I've lost a lot of muscle mass as well, but I blame that on my inactivity since my damage. I went through many months just lying down, stressing, going through severe anxiety. I really do believe a lot of my bodily symptoms are indirectly related to the damage. But who knows?
jikai83

PostPosted by WG1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

My thyroid swelled. I should have listed that as a symptom before. My thyroid swelled up over the months after laser and they found three growths on it on a sonogram. I'm happy to say that the swelling has gone down and the nodes have shrunk somewhat but I'm still hypothyroid.

I just posted some stuff in Resources that make me think burns in one area of the body could cause effects in other parts of the body. But these scenarios do not exactly match what happened to us. Nobody has studied us.

But my body has significantly changed. My health was seriously compromised. I think stress was a factor but it could not have been the loan factor in my case.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by IPLdamage » Sat May 04, 2013 5:41 am

Wg, i also have the flushing with white spots particularly in hands and arms but also in thelegs i think.
And now my hands and feet get icy cold as well as the tip of my nose.
May i ask you how far out from damage you were when you noticed these changes and if you still have them?
And have you been dianosed with reynaud in the end?
IPLdamage

PostPosted by WG1 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:34 pm

My Raynaud's has improved some. Not gone. I'm unsure at this point how long after laser it began. It took time. It was not an immediate problem.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by IPLdamage » Mon May 06, 2013 3:46 pm

May I ask you if you have done all the usual ANAs analysis and if you have ever been diagnosed with something autoimmune "officially"?

I need to understand where to go next in terms of docs and I don't understand if this is autoimmune as reynaud would suggest or if it's hormones/pituitary.

All the folds on joints seem to indicate autoimmune as well but if no one ever finds anything ....
IPLdamage

PostPosted by WG1 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Raynaud's is common in endocrine illness.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/relatedcond ... ynauds.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7387277

That 2nd link says that regular hypothyroidism (not Hashi's) can cause Raynaud's. I've also seen it associated with adrenal and pituitary insuffiencies.

I don't believe I have an autoimmune disease. I certainly don't have Hashi's as my thyroid antibodies checked out normal.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks, WG, for the links! They are helping me make connections...

I think some of the symptoms listed in this post are a result of TNFalpha. According to Dr. Heng, the heat damaged tissues produce a cytokine called TNFalpha (tumor necrosis factor alpha) which produces rupture of cells and blistering. The cytokine is responsible for the damage in burns and scalds. Absorption of TNFalpha into the blood stream causes muscle and joint pains.
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by IPLdamage » Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks wg, very helpful and also reassuring as i have more blood tests on the way and it is always slightly worrying.
I seem to be developing two new skin symptoms that are concerning my gp, white spots under the skin and red capillaries, all in the hands. If the white spots were something called calcinosis, it might be autoimmune again
IPLdamage

PostPosted by IPLdamage » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 am

New symptom: loss of fat pads under the feet is making walking painful....It looks like this is something that kills the fat all around the body!
IPLdamage

PostPosted by WG1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:14 pm

I know there are more people with systemic health problems since laser and I am encouraging all of you to add to this post. It's important that this information is public so that other victims know they are not alone and what they can do. It's also important as a matter of public record and a warning to the public on dermatological devices.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by cmb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:01 am

This is very frightening for a new member to read. I am 6 months post treatment Co2 laser to all of my face and my face is a mess and getting worse.
I think the anxiety causes so many physical changes. Not sleeping etc.
Loss of appetite, weight loss and strange feelings in the mouth and on the tongue are concerning.
The prickly sensation under the skin on the face.
Itchiness all over the body at times which requires constant scratching.
Face went really red after a spa and stayed red for a long time.
There are dings, spots, loose skin, crepey skin, large pores and acne like scaring but it wasn't there before the treatment.
Loss of fat around the face, changing the shape of the face
Change of contours of the lips and loss of pigmentation.......etc
cmb

PostPosted by WG1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 am

Thank you!
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by IPLdamage » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 am

My list at 6 months, excluding the face:

Skin thinned all over
Veins more and more visible,mparticularly on hands feet and arms and legs
Skin looks opaque and velvety all over body and is unusually soft, doctors have commented on this
Skin can be stretched about an inch on top of hands and does not come back into shape if you leave it
Same by about half an inch on top of feet, skin all around and even under feet is wrinkling and bunching. It is particularly visible when i put my shoes on
Fat pads under feet have reduced and the area wrinkles as well. My arches have fallen. It hurts to walk
Normal shoes create pressure which causes paresthesia under feet
Toes are all wrinkly
Hard skin around heels and under feet is gone. It looks like baby skin now
Top of hands has lizard like skin
Hands become red and white when cold and i suffer cold weather more than before. Also on tip of nose and feet
Belly button is enlarged
Bones are more prominent all pver body even if i did not lose weight
Little cuts are appearling all over body as if skin was ageing rapidely
Cellulite all over body and less defined muscle mass
Difficult to sit, i feel my sitting bones as if there was no protection
Sheet marks all over body for a long time
My breasts seem to have falllen more but this i cannot be sure would not have happened anyway :D
IPLdamage

PostPosted by Geoffxx » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Ipl to my face has caused burn scaring and indentations under my eyes. I have also received damage to my eyes in that I am really photosensitive. I have had parts of my dermis burnt of on one side. On this side my skin has also becomes wrinkled and scratchy looking. I has a hole burnt next to my nose which resembles a cigarette burn. My skin is suoersenitive.
Geoffxx

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:53 am

Hi Geof, I'm sorry you've had to become a member of this "club." You will find much information and support here. How long ago did you have the treatment causing damage?
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:27 pm

I am 18 month out of ipl damage. My skin so wrinkled. Pain is back over and over again. And new damages appear monthly. I think in two or three years I ll look like my grand mother. I am just 29. Oh God what is my sin?
djamilia555

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Am I alone have strange mouth sores?
djamilia555

PostPosted by AnxiousL » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:55 am

If anyone is reading this could you please comment if your symptoms are/were similar?
I am only 6 weeks out. My Changes are as follows:
Swelling to treated areas that started 2 weeks after treatment
Tightness in cheeks, eyes and forehead
Stretched skin, I no longer have lines beside my nose I used to have
Extreme dryness of eyes
Face has changed shape-there is no shape anymore
Dry mouth and lips
Itchiness of face
Prickliness of skin on body
My skin is still swollen in areas treated by IPL only

Thanks for reading
AnxiousL

PostPosted by Mandy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Anyone else dealing with aging skin all over their body and dehydrated skin since the laser? I saw that wg did but has anyone else?
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Return to General Discussions (Supporting One Another) READ DISCLAIMER BEFORE ENTERING THIS AREA OF FORUM (MEMBERS ONLY)