Newbie: IPL burns story

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Re: Newbie: IPL burns story

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Keep all your receipts, keep track of lost income. The woman who did this to you should have to pay these expenses. It doesn't sound like you're giving them pictures, which is good. I believe you need to seek legal representation at this point. I wouldn't give anyone, anything until you've consulted with attorneys.

I hope the derm has good news for you. Let us know how it goes. HUGS
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm

THanks Erica, yes I am not giving anyone photos :) thanks for that advice. I am keeping receipts and still a diary if the day to day changes. Operator said send her my doctors bills, but I don't want to give her my doctors details so that can wait. Will keep you posted thanks again :)
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 am

I've been away a couple of weeks and am now back :)
I saw the Dermatologist for the second time. There are areas of hypo and hyper pigmentation, areas that are still red outside the treatment zone, orange peel pores in areas :(
Still alot of unknowns :( Had a family holiday booked for months before this all happened and still went, it was so hard to chase the children and enjoy myself when I had to be a scarf wearing hat wearing sunscreening individual every 5 minutes, the only up side was that in a Muslim country wearing a scarf i was a little less self conscious.

An investigation is underway by the TGA ( Australia's FDA) but investigations are still going.

Hoping for good news on the 27th with 3rd derm app :)
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by WG1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 am

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I hope it makes you feel a little better to know that you did everything right! You were so smart to go straight to a doctor who took good pictures. You have a ton of evidence against those who harmed you because you reacted quickly.

I believe the Biafine will help. After biafine miraculously healed a burn from boiling water on my hand I decided my home will never be without it.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:59 pm

Thank you WG1 :)

I am still hating this whole situation, my face is staying red in areas outside the burn sites, I may have done the right thing by seeing a doctor and keeping proof, however it unfortunately does not change anything or make me feel any better about the state of my face. I don't know about legal action at this point but no $ value is going to make me feel any better about the impact this 'treatment' has had on my face.
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by Erica » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:18 am

formerlysmiling wrote: I don't know about legal action at this point but no $ value is going to make me feel any better about the impact this 'treatment' has had on my face.

Isn't that the truth. Bet we'd all pass up millions of dollars if we could get our pre-laser/ipl faces back.
Erica

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Erica wrote:
formerlysmiling wrote: I don't know about legal action at this point but no $ value is going to make me feel any better about the impact this 'treatment' has had on my face.

Isn't that the truth. Bet we'd all pass up millions of dollars if we could get our pre-laser/ipl faces back.

Absolutely Erica, so sad that we are a growing group rather than a diminishing one :(
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Fri May 04, 2012 7:38 am

Just a quick update, went back to the derm and he was happy with my progress, hyper and hypopigmentation areas are getting lighter and darker and looking better IYKWIM
The redness from the ipl splash is being treated with a rosacea cream which thus far has made no difference so I have also been told to continue that along with a 2 month course of antibiotics :(
my bottom lip is still on the continual peel and the derm gave me an intestive lip treatment which is to be alternated with my 30+ sunscreen lip balm. I was told to give up the scarves, YAY we are coming into winter here so the sun is less of an issue although I am still using 30+ creams on my face and the lip balm. I started using the Biafine about 3 and a half weeks post burn and on day 1 and day 2 the changes in hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation were amazing!! I really think without it the areas damaged this way would still be much more obvious.
so nothing else will happen now till the next derm appointment in 2 months. I hope the healing progresses nicely, fingers crossed. the redness and the orange peel texture is not changing much at the moment and dont know that it will but obvious burns and scaring are looking like they are going to be limited to 2 or 3 small areas. I hope everyone else is doing well and thank you all so very much for the initial feedback and support when I was a crazy lunatic. xx
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by Erica » Fri May 04, 2012 4:51 pm

That's great you've had some improvement- Really encouraging! Have you considered using Biofine on your lips? I wish I had known about it or been prescribed it right after damage to apply to my lips, I think I would be in better shape now... It's truly a miracle cream.

What is the name of the intensive lip product you're using? And SPF too?

Thanks! Good to hear from you, I've been wondering how you're doing.
Erica

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 am

SUCKS TO BE ME TODAY :)

Sad and upset today but not looking for any sympathy, it doesnt change anything, I think I am just in shock, I had an appointment with my dermatologist this morning. I am at 4 months post injury and I got 'the talk' today, basically i have some new cream for my face and have to add paw paw ointment to my lip balm lip routine, which is fine except for the fact that how my face is now is most likely how it will look in two months time at my next appointment, and at 6 months post injury (in most cases and probably in mine) what you see is what you get so, hyper and hypopigmentation have settled down and settled in :( redness has settled in as has orange peel skin, scars are now permanent, early on it was unknown how deep the damage was to know what would scar and what wouldnt :(

not sure what to do from here, just keep slapping on the cream and cross everything x
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 am

Hi FS, Can sure relate to that shocking feeling this is what it is... However, scars can improve on their own and it's not too late to use the psoriagold if you aren't already. You can use it on your lips too. They have a new, more moisturizing formula if you didn't already know.
Erica

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Erica thanks, I did see the update on FB for Psoria Gold. My doctor has given me regular size free samples of another cream to reduce the redness along with a twice a day soap free wash to use before that, as well as adding in paw paw to the lip routine. Just over the whole thing really and just want to forget about it but unfortunately no chance of that. Thanks for the post x
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:42 pm

FS, may I ask what your lip routine is? What are all the products you're using on your lips? As you know, that is my most damaged area.
Erica

PostPosted by Flamengo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Is it too late to use biofin 8 months out?
Flamengo

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:48 pm

There may be little benefit that far out. It's most effective early on, as early as possible.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I will post my lip routine with links as soon as I can Erica. The Biafine made the most difference on my face so with that and the new stuff from the derm fingers crossed. I may lay low my mother passed way in her sleep yesterday at 56 years old, for reasons unknown.
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family, formerly.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by andrea » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:52 pm

oh my gosh, i am truly sorry for your loss.
andrea
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi, back again its been a bit I know, but things are getting back to normal family wise now which is good. Thanks for your support.
Erica, I hope the lip stuff below is helpful to you, both of lip treatments work very effectively but as with everything they have to be used constantly :(

On the lip treatment front I am using: a lip balm given to my by the derm' the details of it are here: http://www.avenuespharmacy.com.au/product-detail.php?id=26326
Along with a 30+ sunscreen lip balm: http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=4051&pname=Ego+Sunsense+SPF+30%2B+Lip+Balm+15g

And with a night regime of adding Pawpaw ointment: http://www.lucaspapaw.com.au/

With regard to the rest of my face a moisturizing day cream that is 30+ has been a constant
plus then a treatment called Finacea was added and made no difference to the redness or orange peel texture of the IPL splash areas.
Then that was stopped and Papulex oil free cream and cleanser were added they are for acne prone skin but is meant to make a difference, I have found that it hasn't made a difference.

I think the worst is yet to come once summer returns in Australia, I went out 2 weeks back, wearing sunscreen as usual and in the late afternoon the sun was coming in the car windscreen on the way home and within 5 minutes of the sun being on my face I could feel the burn, in the IPL splash areas and on my chin that was the worst burnt. I covered my face with my shirt for the rest of the journey home, however when I looked once I was home I had some darker pigmentation in those areas and 3 new 'freckles' or darker pigmentation dots that looked freckle like but very much darker than my skin tone. next trip back to the derm is on 24th of August and this is the 6 month point, which apparently is the 'as good as it gets' point in time so its looking like there will be not much improvement from this point. The orange peel texture is getting worse, the redness is not changing, it always looks like i have been running a marathon or something similar, the burn scars have whitened and strangely the whitened areas have reddened.
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by Erica » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi FS! Glad to hear things on the homefront are leveling out for you. Thank you for posting the products - I will check them out.

A week ago I had Restylane filler injected into my upper lip to help smooth it from the burn. I have several lumps now, so I'm stressing and back on the emotional roller coaster.... I need to be patient, as I hear the lumps will dissipate in time.

Hope you'll continue to check in with us. :)
Erica

PostPosted by Erica » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:26 pm

FS, I checked out the products and my concern is the use of petroleum jelly. I believe had I been given Biofine or had known about Psoriagold I would have had a better outcome. After reading this article, I don't understand why derms tell us to use petroleum based products after damage.

http://blisstree.com/look/vaseline-bad- ... tives-879/
Erica

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Long time no post , but I am still about and healing well now 9 months down the track. the TGA (Australias FDA) has investigated and reported and found that the 'operator used aggressive settings' so we know who's fault it is. So I am left with still some redness in the 'laser flash' areas, both hyper and hypopigmentation areas where i was burnt but they are fading. I scar on my jawline and some dimpling which i think may be fat loss in patterns of the laser head.
But still on the right road

xx
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by butterfly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 am

Hi Formerly Smiling,

Can I ask what part of Australia you are from? I'm in Adelaide. I'd like to talk to you about the TGA.

All the best

Butterfly
butterfly

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 am

I am in Perth WA
formerlysmiling

PostPosted by formerlysmiling » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Update that's a long time coming. 2.5 years have now past since my ipl burns. Every single day requires lip balm treatments and sunscreen. Avoidance of the sun as much as possible. So this far on what am I left with? A scar on my jaw line, white and obvious, orange peel textured skin on chin and both sides of face close to my nose. No freckles in that same area, and skin colour there is now always flushed, so I look like I've been running all the time. A scar on my neck from an operation when I was 5 years old is now more obvious than scars I have from when I was 18. My bottom lip is hyper pigmented so dark and dirt looking. It constantly peels it's dry and needs constant treatment. The hair growth in the area is 50x worse than what I started out treating. Not only that it's sharp, coarse obvious hair. I'm learning to live with it and accept that this is now me. I believe my darkest days are behind me and this is 'as good as it gets'
I felt like everyone here was the understanding friend I was missing in the real world. But I also know now that no one in the real world could understand what I was going through unless they had 'been there' themselves like all of you have. I will be forever thankful for that. And for as long as my story remains here I am open to your replies here or pm's if you have questions or thoughts for me.
If you are reading this at the very start of your journey my advice would be, seek out a great dermatologist, get biafine and use it straight away. Keep full records of everything that happens and the treatments you used. If the clinic says 'it will be fine in a couple of days, use the cream and don't pick at it' GO STRAIGHT TO YOUR DOCTOR
Also everyone here collectively is a huge wealth of information, ask questions, this group has answers.
Xxxx
formerlysmiling

Previous

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)