Take action against weak device laws!

(Members Only) For more experienced members or those further along in their damage. Discussions of damage and supporting one another.

DISCLAIMER: This area is geared to those who've come to terms with their damage. What might be discussed in this forum may not apply to your situation. If you are experiencing anxiety from your situation or are not prepared to read what some have experienced, please do not read this section. If you are new, please post in the "New Members" section.

Take action against weak device laws!

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:19 pm

(thank you, Dernhelm for this information)

https://secure.consumersunion.org/site/ ... w1.app243a

PLEASE DO THIS AND THEN FORWARD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

Medical Devices should not be ticking time bombs!

"We shouldn’t be used as guinea pigs when it comes to something as serious as a medical implant. Yet everyday, Americans are finding out that the medical device they are using to improve their health may actually cause serious harm, permanent disability or death!

Because of intense lobbying from the medical device industry, more than 90 percent of devices do not have to undergo testing on humans before they are sold to, or implanted in, us. That means heart valves and other high-risk devices can receive less scrutiny and testing than a drug for an upset stomach.

Further, implants are not tracked universally. That means there's no way to notify patients that they may have a defective product that should be removed. If you don’t think this makes sense, let your members of Congress know. They’re writing legislation right now that will decide how safe medical devices must be.

Tell them you want safety standards for most medical devices to be brought in line with prescription drugs. Just fill in the form below, adjust the letter with your own comments, and our system will automatically direct your message to your own Representative and Senators based on your address."

Momentum is building in Congress for common-sense medical device safety, thanks to 80,000 messages sent from consumers like you!
Now, we’re ratcheting up the pressure to beat the powerful lobbyists fighting to keep their safety loopholes!
Consumers Union is bringing Americans who’ve suffered serious health problems to Washington DC to talk directly with Congress about our weak medical device laws. Show our activists in Washington DC you’ve got their backs by sending an email supporting common-sense safety rules!
Tell Congress medical devices should be safe before they go in the market!
Medical devices are much more common than we think. They range from life-saving implants like heart valves and pacemakers, to artificial joints, contact lenses, Botox – even diabetes test strips. Many of us probably use one or more right now.
Yet these devices are not held to the same safety standards as prescription drugs! More than 90 percent only have to be ‘similar’ to something already on the market to get sold. Further, implants aren’t universally tracked, so there’s no effective way to notify you if you are using a recalled device or have one inside you.
Lana Keeton knows this all too well. She’s headed to the Capitol to talk about the implantable mesh inside her that wasn’t safety tested. She’s undergone 17 procedures in the past decade since her first surgery, suffering infections and other complications. Just this month, the FDA ordered makers of these products to study their risks after years of serious injury reports.
Back Lana and our other activists as they walk the halls of Congress for common-sense safety! Congress is rewriting safety rules right now, and the lobbyists are fighting for their loopholes.
Congress – End the ticking medical time bombs, and make sure they’re safe first!
The industry has deep pockets but we don't. We have real people who got hurt by weak safety rules and lax oversight. Protect your family by taking action and forwarding this email now!
Sincerely,
Lisa McGiffert
SafePatientProject.org
Consumers Union, policy and action from Consumer Reports
506 West 14th St., Suite A
Austin, Texas 78701
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Take action against weak device laws!

PostPosted by ajapel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I submitted it :) Hope something comes of it.
ajapel

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Thank you ajapel, we just have to keep on it. I hope others will do the same, I really do.
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by cveroleyva » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:07 pm

under what section do we post?
cveroleyva

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks Erica!

-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Dernhelm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you, Hopeful, for putting this on the forum. Thanks also to everyone who has signed or will sign. I learned that the first round of letters to government officials generated such a massive response from the American public that Obama was then prompted to mention the issue in his State of the Union address. So, at some point, government officials will 'get it' and our letters do get heard when enough people stand behind a particular injustice. I sent a letter detailing my experience with the Sciton medical device with scathing remarks directed at the manufacturer and other manufacturers who have put profits before the safety and health of medical consumers. There are a multitude of ways to flush the criminals out of their mansions and ivory towers and expose them for what they have done. Taking action by sending a letter to your Congressional senators and representatives will help. It may take time but it is a positive step. As for this forum, I do believe it is having and has had a truly monumental impact on educating others on the atrocities committed by the industry (manufacturers, doctors and medical spas). The support offered to members has also made a tangible difference to those in complete despair and the wealth of research is unparalleled. Had such a forum existed years ago when I had the life-altering IPLs, I would not have gone ahead and done these purportedly "safe" and "non-invasive" treatments. Safe??? Non-invasive???? That is SO not the case. Anyhow, I would be wholly remiss if I did not thank DCNGA also for everything she has done to make this forum a reality. Thanks again Hopeful for your very important contributions as well and thanks to all of you who have shared your truth.
Dernhelm
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by DCNGA » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:44 pm

"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

Return to General Discussions (Supporting One Another) READ DISCLAIMER BEFORE ENTERING THIS AREA OF FORUM (MEMBERS ONLY)