Faces of Those Harmed By Laser & Light Devices - Pictures

(Members Only) For more experienced members or those further along in their damage. Discussions of damage and supporting one another.

DISCLAIMER: This area is geared to those who've come to terms with their damage. What might be discussed in this forum may not apply to your situation. If you are experiencing anxiety from your situation or are not prepared to read what some have experienced, please do not read this section. If you are new, please post in the "New Members" section.

Faces of Those Harmed By Laser & Light Devices - Pictures

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Burned by Fraxel:

(Sadly, picture was removed)
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

Re: Faces of Those Harmed By Laser & Light Devices - Picture

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Active Deep FX Laser-10 Days post treatment:

(sadly links no longer work, pics removed)

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:58 pm

If you have links to your photos stored on FB or Photobucket of your damage please put them in this thread. Use the "Img" button in the menu of buttons when you're inside a post window (such as you use the bold button or quote button) and making your post to enclose the link. When you click to submit your post, the pictures will be visible.

If you prefer to remain anonymous, you can send me the link to your photos and I will create a post with your pictures here and not provide your name.

DCNGA

PostPosted by Mandy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 pm

D, I'm ready to post my pictures of my damage. I will have to do it tonight when my husband gets home. if you can tell me how to do this that would be great.
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by DCNGA » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I was only able to use this one and it's not very clear:

(link broken, pictures removed)

DCNGA

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:41 am

This is our member Kiki's skin texture. This is not the texture Kiki was born with nor the texture she had prior to BBL. This texture developed after BBL treatment to her face:

DCNGA

PostPosted by ajapel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:04 pm

One month before treatment.
cropped both eyes before.jpg

Two weeks before the treatment. I'm on the left. I kept my friend on the right to demonstrate that the camera can pick up lines I just didn't have them
crop with friend.jpg

After, notice the bumps, wrinkling and general atrophy of the skin.
cropped one eye.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajapel

PostPosted by ajapel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Better shot without smiling, shows the thermal damage bumps and vessels showing through the skin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajapel

PostPosted by DCNGA » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:13 pm

One of our new members was harmed by tattoo laser removal. This is the results of an attempted tattoo removal with a Lumenis Light Sheer Duet.

DCNGA

PostPosted by ladypeace » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:25 am

Did KiKi texture ever change? Has anyone on this forum found somthing that has helped with texture!!!
ladypeace

PostPosted by Mandy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 am

The thing that helped me was tazorac. I had extremely dry skin so had to get my skin back to normal first. I used cerave lotion. It helps build the ceramide levels back up in your skin. I knowticed my skin looked better once my skin wasnt so dry
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by ang317 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:13 am

[attachment=0]preopsml.jpg[/attachment]

I am 38 and went in for a consultation with a highly recomended, board cert ps. I had sunspots that were getting progressively worse and was looking for options. I had NO idea what to do. I just knew I hated having to wear so much makeup to cover them (I would KILL to have this face back). I now can't apply enough makeup to cover what I'm left with.

[attachment=2]5dys.jpg[/attachment]

This is 5 days after my CO2 laser resurfacing. I was told I would have a "bad sunburn" for a few days and could return to work in 7-10 days. My face was burned off. I was raw for 13 days, and it was about 20 days before all the sores resolved and I could even apply anything to my face. My face is now covered in dark brown recessed marks everywhere is was lasered. Does anyone know if this is a normal result from laser, it seems to me that I am not experiencing "hyperpigmentation" but rather scarring from extreme burns.

[attachment=1]6wkssm.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. I am extremely depressed and unable to go back to my sales job where I sit down with families on a daily basis. It has been 10 weeks, and I'm lost emotionally, physically and now finacially. I think the hardest pill to swallow is I trusted my ps and paid him to ruin my face with NO warning of these risks until after the procedure as an explaination, not a warning.
ang317

PostPosted by ajapel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:18 am

Not normal. Completely not normal. You need to see an expert asap.

Where are you located? I can give you suggestions of who to see if you are in the midwest. I find university doctors the best.

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Ajapel
ajapel

PostPosted by DCNGA » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:23 am

I recommend asking for copies of your records. Do not ask ahead of time. Go to their office and tell them you will wait for copies, even if it takes all day. Be sure to get a copy of the 'informed' consent. Ask for copies of all pictures (before and after). Again, do not forewarn that you want this documentation. Under HIPAA, they cannot refuse to provide these documents but they can make it particularly expensive--each state regulates how much a doctor can charge per page for medical records.

I will tell you that in all possibility hyperpigmentation would be on the informed consent. It is a known side-effect of nonablative and ablative resurfacing. It can often resolve on its own, over time. You're much better off having hyper than hypopigmentation. Hypopigmentation, if bad enough, often does not resolve 100%. It could take upwards of 18 months for hyperpigmentation to resolve, if it is going to resolve altogether.

It appears you were treated aggressively. Did he do a 'test' spot? Was this regular Co2 or fractional? Find out the name of the machine used on you and settings (all of that should be in your records). File an adverse event report with the FDA via MAUDE database. Link is on the forum.

Sorry you're going through all of this. Many great people here who can offer suggestions and support.

DCNGA

PostPosted by ang317 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:40 pm

I am located in Pittsburgh, PA. I have ordered my records through my pcp and gotten them from her. I am receiving all post op treatment at no cost, so I don't want to jeopardize that in the event I do not have any other options financially. I appreciate any referrals so I can get a second opinion. I am very confused and do not want to do anymore damage than was already done. He tried a few courses of microdermabrasion and ultrasound but I noticed that seemed to make it darker so we stopped. He is now looking into a 6% hydroquonine cream which is more aggressive but he mentioned it can cause liver damage if used too long. Ugh? I am lost.
ang317

PostPosted by DCNGA » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Ajapel had some great advice on a teaching hospital. She has been to some of the best teaching hospitals in the US for opinions on her condition.

I do not personally know of anyone in your area, unfortunately. If you were in NYC, I would say to try Soren White. There are many great derms in NYC and Boston, both of which have major teaching hospitals.

DCNGA

PostPosted by ajapel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:50 pm

It sounds like your doctor is trying to work with you. However what happened isn't normal but yes, it is a known possible side effect so the doctor is covered in the case of any wrongdoing I think. I'm guessing the settings were too high. And yes, he should have done a test spot.

http://dermatology.medicine.pitt.edu/

this is a link for the website for the university closest to you. I'd start her with faculty members and find out where they practice and what they specialize in. Find one that has at least 10 years experience so that you know that doctor has seen all sorts of cases.

It might be a wait and see sort of situation where you have to let your skin heal completely before trying anything further so you don't aggravate it.

Ajapel
ajapel

PostPosted by ang317 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:53 pm

I am in West Hollywood for the next week, does anyone have any contacts out here I can call? I am meeting with a makeup artist to the stars to learn contouring and makeup strategies, and trying to find a contact at Cedar Sinai Hospital to consult with.

Also, does anyone know the safe window of use for hydroquinone 4% cream? I've been using it for 6 weeks (2xs daily) in combination with retin A (tretinoin cream 0.1%) and steroid (triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1%) cream, some lightening, but concerned about rumors of liver damage with long term use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ang
ang317

PostPosted by DCNGA » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:29 pm

It depends on what you want to see someone about. I know of a great doc at UCLA, Dr. Robert Goldberg at the Jules Stein Eye Institute, but he is an ocuplast (ocuplastic surgeon). I have seen him for issues I had from the laser and he was incredibly kind to me.

If you want to see a derm, I don't know of any. Sorry. Maybe Ajapel has some idea of good docs at UCLA or Cedars.

DCNGA

PostPosted by ajapel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Unfortunately I don't know who to see in the LA area. I can help with Chicago but not LA.

Ajapel
ajapel

PostPosted by pleasehelp » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 pm

[quote="ladypeace"]Did KiKi texture ever change? Has anyone on this forum found somthing that has helped with texture!!![/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. Also, I cannot see most of the images the members post. Only a few post show up with images. Were they removed??
pleasehelp

PostPosted by Kiki » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 pm

My texture has not improved, no. I have used psoria-gold, followed a super duper healthy diet, tried a myriad of different creams, done Selphyl, and I take more supplements than I can list here -- nothing has changed or improved the texture of my skin. It breaks my heart.
Kiki
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Mandy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:23 pm

sorry kikki, :( I have done cucumber juice with tumeric mixed in it and put it on my face. I have knowticed my texture plumping up after doing this.
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Here are pictures of Mugenman a member our forum. He has a blog on realself.

Forehead: I had full face. The rest of my face is destroyed as well:

Forehead: Strange texture and lines extending across forehead:

Forehead:

Cheek: Rough burn victim texture...

Cheek: Still have rough uneven texture. I wish my camera would capture it better:

Cheek: Nov 12th, 2012. Burn victim texture still present not better:

Textural changes:

DCNGA

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:05 pm

this mine
djamilia555

PostPosted by redbysciton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Post BBL post day 9 left cheek.JPG
Post BBL Day 4 left cheek.JPG
This is 4 days and 9 days after my IPL tx. At 4 days, note the pinholes everywhere and the depressed areas where the dr. said the heat burst a blood vessel. At day 9, see the clustered pinholes in the area where the blood vessel had burst, and still there are pinholes everywhere that look like giant pores. I have oily skin and had a fair amount of large pores, but the IPL seems to have made every pore even bigger and added a bunch of both shallow pits as well as some smaller but deeper ones. The only thing that seems to help this appearance is a very heavy, plumping cream like Cerave in a tub, but over time it breaks me out. I never needed moisturizer before IPL. At day 30 I am getting way more flushing and more telangectasia than I had before. The IPL seems to have triggered some inflammatory process. Have another f/u appt. w/ the Dr. performing the tx. Still looking for a good consult w/ another doc.
redbysciton

PostPosted by redbysciton » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:45 pm

This is my right orbital bone area, now almost 3 months after IPL. Note the depressions, welt-like formations, redness and numerous broken blood vessels, as well as the orange peel texture. I had none of this before the IPL. While I had the sebaceous hyperplasia (SH) you see as well as the hyperpigmentation before the IPL, post-IPL I suddenly developed numerous new SH lesions and any pigmented areas became much, much darker post IPL.
redbysciton

PostPosted by mew » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:29 am

Finally some improvement! Please see my photos - I hope they provide hope. The first one was taken a few days ago and the second one was taken in February this year. I didn't really believe skin could improve once it had been damaged but now I've changed my mind!
mew

PostPosted by redbysciton » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:46 am

Wow mew that is a huge improvement. May I ask what you have been doing (skin care, treatments, etc.)? O r has it been simply the passage of time? Please do tell.
redbysciton

PostPosted by KVolek » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Wow Mew, that's fantastic. Are you still using osmosis or have you been doing something different?
KVolek

PostPosted by taija82 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Amazing stuff how long has it been now since your ipl?
Did you think it's time or possibly your skin care routine or something else that has done the trick?
Great keep up doing what you do you look wonderful!
taija82

PostPosted by Me2 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:04 pm

That is wonderful news!!!!!
Me2

PostPosted by mew » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi all, thanks for your messages. It's been 3 years since my IPL. I started using Osmosis skin care products about 15 months ago and around the same time I stared doing facial massage and exercises. So I guess it's a combination of all 3 things that have improved my skin. This might sound strange to some people but I recently read The Secret and started using the principles of the law of attraction on my skin - for example, instead of thinking my skin looks terrible, I now tell myself my skin is young, healthy and beautiful and I visualise smooth skin spreading across my face and erasing the lines/wrinkles! I've been doing this for about 6 weeks - this may have helped too, who knows! It's worth a try.

I hope you all find something that works for you too. x
mew

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:28 am

Hi mew which products have you been using?
djamilia555

PostPosted by mew » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:28 pm

[quote="mew"]Finally some improvement! Please see my photos - I hope they provide hope. The first one was taken a few days ago and the second one was taken in February this year. I didn't really believe skin could improve once it had been damaged but now I've changed my mind![/quote]

Hi all, just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone has skin that looks similar to mine in these photos?
Thanks.
Mew
mew

PostPosted by mew » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 pm

[quote="mew"][quote="mew"]Finally some improvement! Please see my photos - I hope they provide hope. The first one was taken a few days ago and the second one was taken in February this year. I didn't really believe skin could improve once it had been damaged but now I've changed my mind![/quote]

Hi all, just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone has skin that looks similar to mine in these photos?
Thanks.
Mew[/quote]

Hello again, I'm asking the above because whenever I mention my skin to family/husband the comments I get are 'I can't see anything wrong with it.' 'It doesn't look that bad'. etc etc.... But I see abnormal skin/prematurely aged skin and I sometimes think perhaps I'm imagining it or magnifying the problem. Yes I'm lucky I've seen an improvement but still want my old skin back. Sigh... so tired of what I see in the mirror and wishing for a miracle...
mew

PostPosted by taija82 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:08 am

I know how you feel I can't believe my skin. I keep looking old photos. My facial redness follows exact line with laser holes I fear trying to correct it will wipe out my skin entirely. But I can't live like this much longer. I hope miracles happen
taija82

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:54 am

mew wrote:
mew wrote:Finally some improvement! Please see my photos - I hope they provide hope. The first one was taken a few days ago and the second one was taken in February this year. I didn't really believe skin could improve once it had been damaged but now I've changed my mind!

Thanks.
Mew

Hi mew my skin looks like yours but your lines deeper than mines. How old are you? I am 29.
djamilia555

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:58 am

mew wrote:
mew wrote:
mew wrote:Finally some improvement! Please see my photos - I hope they provide hope. The first one was taken a few days ago and the second one was taken in February this year. I didn't really believe skin could improve once it had been damaged but now I've changed my mind!

Thanks.
Mew

Hello again, I'm asking the above because whenever I mention my skin to family/husband the comments I get are 'I can't see anything wrong with it.' 'It doesn't look that bad'. etc etc.... But I see abnormal skin/prematurely aged skin and I sometimes think perhaps I'm imagining it or magnifying the problem. Yes I'm lucky I've seen an improvement but still want my old skin back. Sigh... so tired of what I see in the mirror and wishing for a miracle...

You are not imagining . You know ones my friend said that my skin so smooth that she is jealous . Oh my god I couldn't believe in it. How? May be it was a joke? She didn't know about my problem but no one said that I have a bad or old looking skin. But I know how smooth my cheeks were before ipl hair removal procedure and now skin look so old and wrinkled.
djamilia555

PostPosted by mew » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:58 am

[quote="djamilia555"][quote="mew"][quote="mew"]Finally some improvement! Please see my photos - I hope they provide hope. The first one was taken a few days ago and the second one was taken in February this year. I didn't really believe skin could improve once it had been damaged but now I've changed my mind![/quote]

Thanks.
Mew[/quote]
Hi mew my skin looks like yours but your lines deeper than mines. How old are you? I am 29.[/quote]

Hi, I'm now 38 (almost 39) but I was 35 when this started and I had a really young face, no lines anywhere except a couple of fine ones under the eyes. I was always told I looked in my 20s.
mew

Next

Return to General Discussions (Supporting One Another) READ DISCLAIMER BEFORE ENTERING THIS AREA OF FORUM (MEMBERS ONLY)