Perricone Products

This area provides information on name brand products that our members have tried or used in an attempt to treat their damage. Some products have been useful and others have not. "For Profit" website and, product mentions should be kept to this area only. These products include topical skin care, supplements, makeup, sunblock, etc.

Perricone Products

PostPosted by honeycomb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Dr. Perricone states that three things help with microscarring - Vitamin C, DMAE and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I know some of his produts contain all 3 ingredients and was just wondering if anyone has tried any. The only thing that makes me hesitate to make an order is the DMAE. I have read that it can actually harm cells. Anyone?
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Perricone Products

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Not sure, I have used Periconne products before laser damages, and I didn’t like them at all. So never really dared to try them after laser damage.
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by DCNGA » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 pm

His stuff is mostly hype.

Quite honestly, for cheaper, fresher, and higher overall quality if I were you I would look into Skinactives products.

Most OTC stuff is not going to deliver what it promises unless there are truly scientific studies to back up efficacy. And even then, they need to be independent, third party studies and those are nearly impossible to find.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by Erica » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I would buy a Vit C product you make fresh daily. MVO has one, but it's pretty expensive, guessing there are less exp. options out there, like maybe skinactives? Also taking Vit D and D orally may help build collagen (you're prob already them them..)
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by Erica » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Back to controversial Retin- A....... Maybe it could help? Isn't it a supposed collagen builder?
Erica

PostPosted by honeycomb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks ladies for the input. I think I'll pass on Perricone. Erica, I'm not taking a Vit. D supplement, just Vit. C and Bilberry. Thanks for the tip, I'll start taking some. As for the Retin-a, I don't know. I only tried it twice on a small area of facial skin and didn't like my reaction (I have really sensitive skin). Don't know if it's worth another try. I know you need to use it long term to see a change, but I'm a little scared after reading how some of our members have reacted to it. My derm suggested it since it's really good for rebuilding collagen. Feel like I will never find a topical to help. Maybe I will try some of the home mixed Vit C.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Mix to use Vit C sounds like a great way to start, honey. If money isn't too much of a problem, you may want to check out MVO Vit. C capsules (I won them in a contest). The thing I like is that they also contain alpha lipoic acid and niacinamide. My skin is very sensitive to niacinamide but tolerates this level just fine. However, again you may be able to duplicate this for less thru skinactives. I dissolved the capsule in emu oil then spread it on my face.

Maybe you can tell them about your skin condition and see if they would be willing to sell you a sample? I would call them (not e-mail) to discuss your situation.
Erica

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Yea~ I wanted to try mixing the Vitamin C powder from Skin Actives with water and putting them on my face. I heard that Vitamin C oxidizes so fast, you might be better off doing a DIY vitamin C serum than buying one Honeycomb~
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by honeycomb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Erica, forgive my ignorance, but what does MVO stand for? The capsules you mention contain all really good ingredients. I would like to try them.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Oops, sorry, honey. http://mvorganics.com/
Erica

PostPosted by honeycomb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks for the link Erica. I noticed a few products on their site with Vit. C., but not with the other ingredients you mentioned. Can you tell me the name of the product you have. Thank you :)
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Erica

PostPosted by honeycomb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks, Erica :)
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by honeycomb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Erica, do you have the orange peel/microscarring problem? If so, do you notice an improvment with the topical Vit. C? Even if you don't have those exact textural issues, do you notice an changes since you started using it? I've never gone the DIY route before (unless you count the awful "perfumes" I made as a little girl) so just wondering if it's best to mix the capsules in an oil or cream base. I've tried emu oil before and it caused a terrible breakout, so just wondering what else I can mix the Vit. C with.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I have scarring but I don't believe this particular type of scarring. I had some orange-peel texture in the beginning but that resolved. Since I try to avoid the mirror, not sure if I've had any improvement. Since we were damaged differently, don't know I'd be a good measure anyway.

The Vit C capsule may need to be mixed with an oil for it to dissolve well. Is there any type of oil that works well with your skin? I think any type of oil would work. I would go that route first, if not, maybe MVO could help. They sell the oil they recommend for mixing, but I couldn't use it because it also contains niacinamide and it was too much for me, I turned an alarming shade of red!
Erica

PostPosted by honeycomb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 pm

I tried almond oil in the past and it initally made my skin look flawless but within a week or so it really broke me out. I'm not sure what oil would work with my skin. I know they recommend an oil to go with it, but it's getting a bit pricey to add that on. Guess I'll have to find something.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Have you checked out apricot oil? I think that may be a really good one. avocado? rose hip?

Here's an article I posted awhile back about apricot oil, the last line says it doesn't cause break outs, but who knows...
But may be worth trying?

I know, all these topicals add up to a fortune, that's why I think it's good to purchase only a select few with ingredients that have the possibility of making a difference.

This was posted by WONDERBAR

"Apricot oil is not only excellent for fine lines, it is also great for sensitive skin. Need a little more convincing that using an oil for your moisturizer (and cleanser for that matter) is preferable to using a cream? Consider this:

"• Oil binds to oil, not water. (Ever made salad dressing?) So it makes scientific sense as a cleanser for shiny skin and makeup-wearers. That’s the reason for the popularity of Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils. • Acne isn’t caused by surface oil, but by a plumbing problem in the pore, say dermatologists. (Skin and oil produced in the follicles get stuck there. In balanced skin, it should slough and flush itself out.) • Your skin likes balance. So over-washing it with detergents like sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) to get that tight, dry “clean” feeling just tells your skin to produce more oil." —Melisse Gelula

Apricot oil is one of the oils that has a lipid content similar to that of your skin. When the skin's lipid content becomes too low, dry and irritated skin results; topical application of apricot oil helps soothe and heal this rough, damaged skin. The oil's fine texture allows more rapid skin penetration, which promotes more prompt healing and nourishment of sore or chapped skin without residue. Shirley Price, coauthor of "Aromatherapy for Health Professionals," notes that apricot oil is also beneficial in relieving the itch and irritation of eczema-ridden skin. As an added benefit, Price points out that apricot oil helps prevent and minimize the appearance of wrinkles (see?). We promise, no oil slick here and it WON'T break you out!"
Erica

PostPosted by Erica » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Honey, I e-mailed Skin-actives to see if they could replicate the MVO Vit C capsule. Hannah e-mailed back and this is what she said:

It's easy: massage a few L-ascorbic acid crystals on damp skin. Rinse after a few minutes.

The other actives: depends on your interest. Skin brightening? Energizing? Antioxidant?

Depending on your interests, I can suggest a serum or cream to layer after you rinse the ascorbic acid, which is the crucial active in that mix.

I haven't priced it out yet but thought I'd post it in case you're interested also :)
Erica

PostPosted by honeycomb » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:41 am

Thank you, Erica. I will be trying something soon as this texture is such a mess.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Return to Brand Name Product Mentions and Reviews (PUBLIC)