renova cream

This area provides information on name brand products that our members have tried or used in an attempt to treat their damage. Some products have been useful and others have not. "For Profit" website and, product mentions should be kept to this area only. These products include topical skin care, supplements, makeup, sunblock, etc.

renova cream

PostPosted by Mandy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 pm

i'm wondering since i saw more damage with the higher tazorac cream if i need a more gentle retnoid. Is renova more gentle? Any ideas? I'm giving my skin a short break to let it rest but i really want to be on somethng to help the texture.
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: renova cream

PostPosted by Depressed » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:30 am

Mandy

I am on Differin (a milder retinoid) which I like - it makes my skin smoother and the pores less visible but it isnt causing any of the excessive peeling and redness I have read about in relation to Retin A. I have only been using it a few weeks though so cant really say if it has had any impact on scarring but I do think my skin looks a bit better since using it.
Depressed
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Mandy,

From what I have read in the past, Tazorac is suppose to be really strong. Renova is the lowest strength retinoid that you can get prescriptioned and its suppose to be emollient so you won't dry out as much. It's 0.02% tretinoin whereas the lowest retin-A you can get is 0.025% tretinoin. There are other Retin-A that you can purchase other brands such as Atralin and there was a list of retinoids that my doctor gave me, but I definitely remember the Tazorac, Retin-A, Atralin..... and others.. not sure.
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Hello Mandy,

Hoping my experience will help you not to make any of the mistakes that I did I will tell you what happened to me with Retin-A.

I first saw physician's assistance in December of year 2010 and she prescribed me Soladine ( for acne) Retin-A 0.1% Micro, Duac ( Benzoyl Peroxide for acne) and had a follow-up with the doctor in January 2011. At this time my skin was disgusting ashy, brown, sagging, pin pricked holes, bumpiness all over my face from scars, not healing skin, fine lines around my face, acne ( which I had before laser)...... dry leathery skin.... I described my skin to the idiot that performed the laser on me that I felt like it was dead. I didn't know how else to explain it. It felt like I had this covering over my face that was just holding itself on but was lifeless.

I never heard of anti-aging benefit of retin-A, and i wish I did before becuase if I did I would have used it like crazy before I did this stupid laser, but whenever i was prescribed the medication I would stop after like a week due to stinging or irritation because i was scared i might get horribly aged trying to address acne which I never wanted to do. Anti-Age was always my top priority before acne. I always felt that when i get older acne would get resolved, but I heard from someone that retin-A had anti-aging affect so when my doctor prescribed me the Retin-A I religiously applied them just a pea sized amount.

Because my skin was such a mess, I immediately saw my skin change, my mother was visiting me at the time and she also commented on my skin. After a week I noticed my skin was firmer and also the color was improving and getting lighter. I was super excited. However I also noticed that my skin was super sensitive to the sun, however Soladine is notorious for sun sensitivity so I immediately stopped that medication, didn't really use Duac, but focused on Retin-A. Although my dermatologist asked me for a follow-up after a 3 months or so, I always scheduled after 1 month and went to him either after 1 month or 2 months.

Then I told my dermatologist that I wasn't handling the Soladine well so he switched me to sulfur medication.. Forgot the name all of a sudden.. AHH~ My memory~ and I also requested for more emollient retin-A since I was super dry from the medication so he gave me .025% Retin-A cream. I would use 0.1% Micro when my skin didn't feel irritated, and 0.025% cream when my skin felt irritated and dry. My doctor always said just play with it and that I was doing well. But at the same time he would ask me everytime I visited if I was using Sun Screen and I was using 2 sun screens.

I did get some damages around the eyes some ( but I was also putting some on the eyes... Reviews show that some woman handle it well) well some people are able to handle directly on the eyes, but since I am asian and since my skin has been shot down after laser, it was not a good idea and I got damages around the eyes from the sun during retin-A application. however that didn't stop me I kept putting on the Retin-A the strong stuff.

If I wasn't so pushy with retin-A I think I could have eliminated a lot of the damages, during this phase I stayed home always, I still do, but going outside was really hard. However my mother and aunt came for a visit so I would go out during the weekends and it was very difficult and I wish I didn't because I still have a lot of damages from the sun from those times that are not being resolved. At the time though I didn't worry about this too much and insisted on keep putting retin-A on because I was reading so many papers so many medical records stating that any damages that occured with retin-A were all resolvable with retin-A.

For me, Retin-A kind of stopped working for me after 6 months and I consistantly tried going back to it for another 4~5 months and that's when most of my damages around the eyes and such happened and i think it was mostly caused by me putting too much on and also I think the retin-A was a lot stronger than what I was able to handle.

I had a lot of pivoted scars around the side of my face that are almost gone, alot of bumpiness around the nose, cheeks, and chin area are also improved remarkably. Discoloration has also resolved quite a bit. But I have a lot of damages around the eyes that were not there before I had retin-A that are obviously still quite irritated rightnow and I still feel quite sore from it. My pigment issues were resolved, but I think after 6 months I got some pigment issues also, but overall I am still better than right after laser with my pigment so retin-A has really resolved my disscoloration. I have been off retin-A for I believe 3~ 4 weeks now? But when I went to this new dermatologist he told me that it can stay in your system upto 6 weeks. Well, since my skin probably have no circulation going with all the damages I am thinking I would be a 6 weeks candidate. My whole face used to feel like a cardboard with this thick skin under my skin.. dunno if you know what I am talking about, but that has really gotten a lot softer with Retin-A. Also, my pores has improved also.

When my skin was super irritated from Retin-A I had hard time sitting in my meeting room because there was a window behind me even during a non sunny day. It was bad. My skin has became very sensitive to weather since laser, but retin-A definetly elevated that.

When I consulted with Psoria Gold, Siana ( sales lady) told me that since you used Retin-A after 1 year, she said it was a good thing. Because at that time she said your skin is all scared there is nothing that psoria gold would have been able to do so because she said you have nothing to loose. I think once your skin has become scar it's impossible to treat your skin. I know Dr. Heng ( inventor of Psoria gold) also uses the Retin-A to help open the pores when she treats acne patients, but Siana said, they don't recommend using the product for more than 6 months and since my skin was super irritated she recommended using Psoria gold right now, she called it.. a missing link after retin-A.

I have been emailing Dr. Heng my pictures and just getting her input of my skin. Both her and also my new dermatologist had issues with my enlarged pores ( which I can't blame the laser for it was something caused by my acne) and she insists only using Psoria Gold rightnow. I did ask her this question since she seems to be VERY natural skin products kind of a doctor..... I said, I really had favorable results with Retin-A and I wanted to know after this irritation goes away if I can use it again maybe after 6 months? she said, after you are fully treated with Psoria Gold 6months to 1 year you can use retin-A.

I was kind of thinking of starting this retin-A phase next winter actually for maybe 4~ 6 months only and i was kind of debating between renova or Atralin because I heard Atralin is Tretinoin with Hylauronic Acid. Might do this every year or something.. The results are very slow changes but I think it's better than nothing.

2 BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE WAS USING TOO MUCH RETIN-A, AND I ONCE SQUEEZED BLACKHEAD ON MY CHEEKS AND THAT AREA NEVER RETURNED BACK AND JUST BROKE COLLAGEN. I still blame this to Laser because I have used retin-A before and I was never this irritated and caused this much damage from the cream. The squeezing blackhead and my face not returning is crazy~ But when you are on retin-A you have to care for your skin as gentle as you possibly can. It makes your skin very susceptable to damage and our skin is so susceptable to damage anyways. SO PLEASE DON"T EVER TOUCH YOUR FACE when on RETIN-A and you have to be SUPER careful with the sun also. It's really hard to do any outdoor activities period. Again, I have used Retin-A in the past and I had no issues, sunscreen was just enough, but not after laser. SIGH~
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by Mandy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks guys i'm going to look into renova with the derm. I hope i can find something that my skin likes and see some improvement!
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Hope you healing Mandy~
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by Mandy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks bluebuzz
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Mandy, is it the retoinoid causing more damage or uncovering damage that is deeper? Whevenever I use an exfoliant, my deeper lines becomes more apparant because the top layers have been removed.

Now I like it when my skin is dull and unexfoliated..lol
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by Mandy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 pm

I feel like its new damage but i'm not sure. I feel so depressed when i smile i see all of these lines all over my cheeks. i feel so ruined. The new damage makes me feel this nightmare is never going to be over. I have been feeling suicidal lately and hate feeling this way. Can it be possible these new lines is damage under the skin that is coming up? I cant believe im stil going through this.

We went looking at houses tonight to possibly buy. I had a lump in my throat the whole time remembering how excited the old me would of felt doing this. Nothing excites me anymore. I feel so dead inside. If i tell my husband this he just gets angry. I feel like my depression is taking my life and i cant stop the pain. I dont know if i can take anymore damage in the future. I'm so scared the new damage is permanent. my husband says im selfish for not wanting to live anymore. But i dont think i can live my life feeling this scared and depressed. I need to know there will be an end to this
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:08 am

I know exactly how you feel. Joy used to come so easily- not anymore. Everything is such a struggle. My lips continue to get worse, I think scarring can take up to two years to completely form and maybe that's why it's happening? It'll be two years at the end of April, I believe you are about this same distance out. My lips are purple, not the red/pink shade they are supposed to be. Burned, bumpy texture also and extremely dry. I think my skin is done scarring but I could be wrong. I feel like I can live with the scarring on my face at this point but it's my lips I'm really having difficulty with they feel worse by the day. I know you've suffered a loss and I feel your pain because I'm right there with you. But, you still have an abundance of beauty, in fact, beauty overflowing! Wish you could share some of that with me :) I hope you're on the upswing again soon. xoxo
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by Mandy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks Erica, I feel like my beauty is fading everytime i damage my skin. I have quite a bit of new damage in the last three weeks. It makes me feel the same depression as when this whole thing started. I feel extremely uncomfortabke with my skin and confused why i cant stil use products with out my skin looking like i have scratches all over it. I feel like im going to age weird and it kills me. I would do anything to have my old skin back and age gracefully.

I'm sorry your lips are getting worse. It makes the ptsd so much worse. I wish we were both beyound this. I kept thinking time would heal. I guess i was wrong. sorry so gloomy but this is really taking a toll on me
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:49 am

Mandy,

I am truly sorry for your pain. I also so well know what its like because I also get suicidal thoughts that are like.. I don’t want to live with this skin anymore. But your husband is absolutely right in that you can’t give up because you have loved ones that would mourn grately if you did decide to leave them. Perhaps your husband also feels your pain because he does not like to see you in pain, but is trying to be stronger and not allow you to think of them.

I actually kind of stopped looking at my skin as much as I used to, I also have decided to just not think about it too much so I am not as depressed as I used to be. I do have lumpiness all over my face and it’s very depressing, but I have decided to just taking it slow and not think about it. YES I look way uglier with my skin 20years older, but regardless I can’t let this take any more from me than what it already has. Mandy, whatever you do I hope you lots of healing and comfort. Is your skin burning right now? Have you tried Psoria Gold? Maybe that would help you? I am taking Fish Oil supplements and also vitamin C pretty regularly to help with my skin also. I heard a lot of good things about both supplements. Sorry~ I am just trying to think of everything that may help you.
Please try to cheer up. You have people that love you dearly~
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by Mandy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks Bluebuzz. i know I need to force myself out of this depression somehow. I hate how dark this can get. I almost feel like im in a trance like state. My brain takes over and im hopeless in this. I never new life could be so painfull. I hope for healing for u as well
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by honeycomb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Mandy, I've been using Nia 24's Skin Strengthening Complex for about 3 weeks now (every other day) and really like it. The main active ingredient is niacin, but it also contains retinyl. Retinyl is low on the list of ingredients so I don't think it's that potent in this formula which maybe a good thing for you. It serves a purpose, but isn't harsh. I have very sensitive skin which can't tolerate many products, but I have found this to be gentle. I gave Atralin (retin a) a test run before Nia and it was too much for my skin to handle. Nia has improved the overall look of my skin (hope it continues to work), but I still have textual issues. I'm hoping with continued use it will keep making things better. I know it's pricey, but if you order from Dermadoctor or Dermstore you can return it if not satisfied. Good luck with whatever you try.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Honeycomb,

SO happy that you have found something that’s helping your skin. YAY~~!!!!
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by honeycomb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks, Blue. It's not a miracle, but it's a step in the right direction.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Mandy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks honeycomb I might have to give it a shot.
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by empusa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:59 pm

There is some some really good information in the link below to help you tolerate Retin-A. If you still can't tolerate it, then Retinol is essentially a lower strength alternative. I forget the exact mechanism, but it does convert to small amounts of tretinoin in the skin.

http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/us ... skin-care/
empusa

PostPosted by electricboom » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Just want to warn...retinol damaged my skin, and is healing thankfully but I would be very careful and if someone does decide to use it..maybe once a week, but I'd avoid it. Emu oil has really helped me (Montana Emu OIL), but my damage was from retinol...and not exfoliating..Being gentle. Please be cautious with vitamin a creams...
electricboom

PostPosted by mugenman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:09 pm

electricboom wrote:Just want to warn...retinol damaged my skin, and is healing thankfully but I would be very careful and if someone does decide to use it..maybe once a week, but I'd avoid it. Emu oil has really helped me (Montana Emu OIL), but my damage was from retinol...and not exfoliating..Being gentle. Please be cautious with vitamin a creams...

Could retinol alone really cause damage? I've been using tretinoin for 3+ months for my laser damage and PIH and I can't say the damage is looking better, but in fact worse. As mentioned it may be damage being reveled as the outer layers shed, but it's hard to tell.... I'm going to give it three more months. Hang in there everyone.
mugenman

Return to Brand Name Product Mentions and Reviews (PUBLIC)