Damage from Non-Ablattive Fractional Laser

Resources on Fractional Laser Side Effects, Complications, & Research

Damage from Non-Ablattive Fractional Laser

PostPosted by Administrator » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:25 pm

From a post that AWalk had on realself.com regarding DNA damage. She posted the following on RealSelf and I am reposting here. The last line is most interesting as it discusses damage caused by ablative and non-ablative lasers, which may include IPL although not a true laser. Thoughts anyone? I've not heard anyone else mention possilbe DNA damage. Is this possible? How terribly frightening!

Quote:
Plastic Reconstr Surg. 2008 Dec;122(6):1660-8. Links
TUNEL assay for histopathologic evaluation of irreversible chromosomal damage following nonablative fractional photothermolysis.
Farkas JP, Richardson JA, Hoopman JE, Brown SA, Kenkel JM.
Department of Plastic Surgery, Clinical Center for Cosmetic Laser Treatment, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas 75390-9163, USA.

BACKGROUND: Fractional photothermolysis is extremely popular in skin rejuvenation and remodeling procedures. However, the extent of thermal cellular injury beyond the borders of the coagulated microcolumns produced with fractional phototherapy is undefined. METHODS: Six abdominoplasty patients were pretreated with the Lux1540 Fractional Erbium device (Palomar, Inc., Burlington, Mass.) at various clinical laser settings. After tissue excision, the panni were immediately biopsied. Biopsy specimens were fixed in formalin, embedded in paraffin, sectioned, and evaluated with the terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated deoxyuridine triphosphate nick end labeling (TUNEL) procedure for cellular necrosis/apoptosis. Tissue was sectioned horizontally and longitudinally to help define the depth and distribution of the microcolumns of injury in a three-dimensional plane. RESULTS: The extent of cellular necrosis/apoptosis at variable depths within the epidermis and dermis was demonstrated successfully with the TUNEL technique. After the Lux1540 treatment, TUNEL-positive nuclei were identified in a vertically oriented fashion that extended from the epidermis into the papillary and reticular dermis, highlighting the areas of injury. The TUNEL-positive nuclei defined lesions that were approximately 175 to 225 microm in diameter and penetrated to variable depths (200 to 900 microm), depending on the fluence used for treatment (18 to 100 mJ). CONCLUSIONS: TUNEL immunofluorescent labeling provided an accurate assessment of cellular damage within and surrounding the microthermal zones of coagulated collagen with respect to column depth and width. Because of its specificity, the TUNEL assay can be a useful adjunct to other histologic stains used to characterize cellular damage and matrix denaturation in skin treated with any fractional ablative or nonablative laser device.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: DNA Damage from Non-Ablattive Fractional Laser

PostPosted by Administrator » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 12:17 pm Posted by KelleyMum

Post subject: The horrifying truthReply from KelleyMum, copied and pasted in from talkthis.com forum:

I hate to say it, but reflecting upon Awalk's steadfast research on these devices and their cancer-inducing potential, I have to say that she is right. I started thinking about the damage I've sustained. I look decades older. My skin is wrinkly, it no longer heals normally from superficial abrasions and strange patterns in the skin are appearing. It's as if the DNA has been altered because the skin is not reverting to its healthy, normal state.

I had read something two years ago on telomeres. They are a sequence of DNA that are found at the end of human chromosomes. Telomere length is shortened each time a cell divides. After a cell replicates too many times, there is very little left of a telomere to transmit genetic information and the cell division/replication process goes awry and that's when aging and disease result.

The following has been copied from an online article written by Mark Stibich, Ph.D. entitled "Telomeres and Aging - Understanding Cellular Aging":

When the telomere becomes too short, essential parts of the DNA can be damaged in the replication process. Scientists have noticed that cells stop replicating when telomeres are shorter. In humans, a cell replicates about 50 times before the telomeres become too short. This limit is called the Hayflick limit (after the scientist who discovered it).

How Does All This Affect Aging?:

Researchers can use the length of a cell's telomeres to determine the cell's age and how many more times is will replicate. This is important in anti-aging research. When a cell stops replicating, it enters into a period of decline known as "cell senescence," which is the cellular equivalent of aging. However, another reason telomeres are important is cancer.

Here is the entire link and below it is the source from which it came. It was a publication by the National Institute on Aging.

www.longevity.about.com/od/researchandm ... omeres.htm

www.longevity.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs ... =http%3A//

www.niapublications.org/pubs/microscope/index.asp

If an honest dermatologist were to examine my skin at present, he or she would conclude that it appears, acts and feels like considerably aged or matured skin. It also appears damaged. My skin was completely smooth and healthy before. Some sunspots on the cheeks were my only complaint. Conclusion: I can say that the IPLs aged my skin and damaged it to the point that it is no longer rebuilding or repairing itself like it used to. I have no doubt that my DNA has been damaged. Why else wouldn't my skin be healing? And having read the stories of others who describe skin that has changed for the worse like mine, I feel sick to my stomach about what all this means. If the cellular turnover is not producing restored skin after fifteen months but continues to "grow" more damaged, aged skin, there is no question that beyond the already very devastating fat atrophy, we have a greater problem. And whom do we have to thank for our neverending suffering and potentially life threatening damage in the form of cancer? Like I said before, what comes around goes around and the retribution for the unconscionable acts of these corporation executives and spa owners who won't claim responsibility will be severe. I have no pity at all for any of them. They're asking for what's coming to them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: 19 Feb 2009 01:30 pm Post subject: PS Subsequent post by KelleyMum

I felt it would be irresponsible to state what I had in the previous entry without adding that I could have developed some chronic skin disorder as a result of the IPL treatments which is impeding the way my skin heals. The last thing I would want to do is needlessly scare anyone. However, the onset of some condition as a result of intense light exposure from a laser could still essentially be defined as cellular damage at some level for a disease process to even occur. All I can say is that what appears on my face is not a temporary thing. The IPLs have altered my skin in a horrible way.

Fat and the introduction of stem cells can work miracles. That may be what many of us need but whether fat would take care of everything on a permanent basis, I haven't a clue. I know that stem cells have been used to treat autoimmune disorders and have recently been utilized to grow heart tissue in vitro and the windpipe of a woman in Spain. I'll keep researching and hope that I haven't been the messenger of some of the worst news we could possibly be coming across. I thought about the chromosomal damage mentioned in the article kindly posted by DCNGA and Awalk and came to a very horrifying realization. I hope I'm wrong. I really would like my thoughts to be completely refuted by existing scientific research that would tell me otherwise.
Administrator
Site Admin

Return to Fractional Lasers