Products that members have tried and the results.

This area provides information on name brand products that our members have tried or used in an attempt to treat their damage. Some products have been useful and others have not. "For Profit" website and, product mentions should be kept to this area only. These products include topical skin care, supplements, makeup, sunblock, etc.

Products that members have tried and the results.

PostPosted by hopeful19 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:57 pm

-Decided to make this post, for people to list all of the products they have tried -that have and haven't worked.
-This way, our product info is all located in one place.
-Please keep this strictly to one post (or two, if you try something new ;)) , just staying on topic of what products you have used, so we keep it consistent.
-Create a new and separate post, if you would like to discuss a certain product that one person has tried which you have questions about or interest.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

For me, nothing really has helped because lets face it, my damage is more then skin deep. That is my reality, no magic fix. So I've never really posted before under this topic. Not that I discourage others, as we have to keep trying and exchanging information...and I do feel creams and such can help the skin for some, as proven by people who have had good results with certain products. My own personal focus though, has and remains, for doctors to acknowledge that this is happening so we can receive treatments created specifically for our damage. We deserve that. It is so wrong that we have to guess and struggle to help ourselves like this, in order to figure out some relief.

Just to make you all aware, these are the products I have used and tried to heal my lumenis1one laser damaged skin. They were all used over a three year period of time,( in case a doctor wants to claim that I had irritated my skin by using so many products.) What it finally came down to, was not even to find creams to heal, but sensitive enough for my skin to tolerate and hopefully exfoliate some. Which is why now, I use the lightest possible products and the least amount of anything on my face, just letting my body do it's thing to try and heal. The ones highlighted in purple are what I'm currently using.

Hope it is helpful.

Murad Vitamin C products. The essential c cleanser and active radiance serum and the cream. I feel that this might have helped with my pigmentation and scaring issues, but who knows. I got them in a sample pack because i ordered the book. I ordered the book because of the sample pack.

Murad also has a cucumber line, that is suppose to be very gentle (never tried it though)

I hate advertising Murad because he uses lasers at his practice/spa and he knows what's going on with them, which is why I've only used samples! ;)

Peter Thomas Roth- complexion pads, they have gentle and not so gentle. I think this also might have helped with exfoliating.

Thibiant Calming Face Wash-Gentle Cleansing Milk , I love that I'm using a cleanser for mature skin!

Skinceuticals Epidermal repair treatment -"is actually specifically formulated for skin compromised by cosmetic procedures ranging from microdermabrasion to laser resurfacing, as well as skin sensitized by retinoid therapy or harsh environmental aggressors. treatment combines beta glucan and centella asiatica to provide a protective veil for traumatized skin while facilitating the biological processes necessary to accelerate restoration of the skin’s barrier. epidermal repair is clinically shown to greatly diminish redness and soothe irritated skin while the cosmetically elegant texture encourages daily use, especially during the critical healing period following rejuvenating procedures."

I tried it, it seemed to help when it was on, but ultimately, the results of my damage did not change because of it.

I also tried skinceuticals phyto + botanical gel for hypopigmentation, which was worthless.

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Extra Strength Beta Peel- Used two years out to try and help with pigment and scars. Seemed to be similar to Peter Roth Pads, not sure if it worked.

Kate Somerville CytoCell- I've only gotten samples of this and I don't see too much of anything happening with it.

Origins vit-a-mins cream- used this pre damage and have always liked it.

Clarins makes a nice chemical free, sun screen, if you use sun screen. I don't.

kinerase Intensive eye cream, works for a small amount of time, but turned my eye skin red and inflamed. Their lightening cream does nothing.

calenduala gel- not much result

Revive -used various products at the very beginning, ultimately a lot of money, (had purchased new on ebay) it did nothing.

Heal Gel, ordered from london.....DID NOTHING!

Silicon scar pads that stick to skin- not much result.

Tazorac - not sure.

finecia- nothing really.

birth control pills- seemed to help clear the acne and keep the chin hair from growing. Went off of them ultimately fairly quickly because I saw on Erin B's website that people were getting sick from the brand.

tea tree oil- no results.

The list goes on,but those are the ones that I remember off the top of my head.

To try as concealers.

Yves saint laurent Touche Eclat for the under eye area, it's $40, I've never tried it, as my eyes are sunken in and scarred, but maybe for you, it would be helpful. My friend swears by it.

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare-All-In-One Tinted Moisturizer suncreen.

Dermablend. I like their older formula, not sure if it is as good now. It is thicker then all the others, but warm it in your palm and it can give good coverage to cover scars.
"There's almost no risk involved," says Stephen Fanning, CEO of Solta Medical, which owns Fraxel.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but rather those who sit back & let it happen.
-Einstein
hopeful19
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Products that I have tried.

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I made it a sticky.

I only use Tazorac, CHAS (from SAS) when I have it, and sunscreen.

While I tried many, many things to help with my 'baggy' eye malar mounds, nothing helped. My condition cannot be helped by anything topical.

I use what I use to keep my skin an even tone, my pores smaller appearing, and to protect my skin from free radicals (i.e., photodamage).
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by honeycomb » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

Hopeful, this is a great idea to have all of the products info in one location. The items I currently use in my daily routine are numbered 1-5 (none are miracle workers, but my sensitive/reactive skin can tolerate them); everything listed below that is what I have tried in the past.

1. Kinerase Gentle Daily Cleanser - is gentle enough for my sensitive skin and has green tea extract which is a plus and
its non-comedogenic & fragrance free skin care
2. Topix Ultra Lite Moisture Dew Lotion - its base is aloe vera which is soothing to my skin
3. Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46 Sunscreen - lightweight, oil-free, contains niacinamide
4. glominerals gloLoose Base & Camouflage - the base is a lightweight mineral powder foundation with pretty good coverage and the camouflage is a creamy concealer
5. Solgar Bilberry Extract - these are oral supplements good for circulation & very potent antioxidant (thought they could help get the blood pumping in my body which may slow down facial fat loss) just started taking a few weeks ago so I don't know if they are really helping
-----------------------------------------
-Almond oil - initally very soothing to my skin, made it look almost flawless - few days later really broke me out

-La Roche-Posay - Active C Eyes - didn't notice any difference to my fragile undereye area

-Emu oil - broke out from using it

-Peter Thomas Roth - Beta Hydroxy Acid Wash - used to use it once a week. Really like it especially for blackheads on nose and it's pretty easy on sensitive skin, but since all the fat loss haven't really used it since my nose is showing scarring from IPL device afraid it will be too harsh now

-Replenix CF Cream - contains green tea and caffiene. Didn't notice any improvment in my skin

I will probably think of other products I've used on my neverending journey to healing, but for now this is what comes to mind. Hope it helps someone.
honeycomb
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by Erica » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:15 am

Emu oil

Marie Veronique Moisturing Face Screen-- It is my foundation/sunscreen/moisturizer/skin soother all in one product.
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by cveroleyva » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Elta Md 46 sunblock, same as above. $40, love the stuff but I can only wear mineral powder or blush over it on a day I'm feeling like I can use make up and look like a kabookie doll;).
Rose hip oil $6 at night as a moisturizer.
Bleachease $32 ( rx hydroquinone 6% the doc gave me) - it's getting lighter!:).
ANd I wash my face only at night, or if I can get away even longer.
I wash with cetaphil $12 and the providone-iodine $8 mixed in.
All the above I currently use:

What I used prior:
Emu oil $12- very nice stuff but now that I went rose hip I love the smell and the silkiness that it give my skin. Didn't break me out.
Tea tree oil $5- did nothing, skin seemed a bit drier the next morning.
Castor oil $8- If i put some on the cloth and apply to my skin, my skin's pores look smaller and my scarring looks more flat, as the day progresses it goes back to normal. Love the stuff, kind of sticky though.
Boscia Black Mask - shrinks pores!!! For maybe 30 minutes and then skin starts coming back to normal...lol. Hurts to take off like the biore nose strips, but it is kind of fun. $28
Indian Clay Mask $10 - holy snickers this hurts like hell and is itchy as it dries. not sure, but it brought back the circulation. if anyone wants it i'll send it, i can't tolerate the drying sensation.
Lemons - great lightener, but Dr. b told me to stay away from citrus while on the bleachease.
Skin tape $6- hmm, not sure, probably nothing. takes of all the grime and left me squeaky clean. it was fun taping my son too. my face his hands, all in fun, we looked like mummies.

Right now I'm happy with what I have, I'm not hoping for miracles, and I'm close to resiging myself after I finish my series of peels with Dr. B. I gotta keep going ;).
cveroleyva

PostPosted by andrea » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:33 am

here is my routine.

morning or after shower- wash face with cetaphil and salicylic wash
put on rose hip oil-just on cheeks-putting it under eyes caused milia
collagen serum-sa(skinactives)
canvas base cream that has epidermal growth factor, mitochondial conentrate, antioidants, and coenzyme-from sa that i put together myself
let that dry-put on other canvas base cream that had hylaronic acid and coconut exoderm(probably spelling wrong) also that i mixed together.

i do the same thing at night

so far so good

i have been also doing a glycolic peel-30% for 6 weeks and just started 50%.
andrea
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Products that members have tried and the results.

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:01 pm

I am listing mine hoping it would help.

Moisturizers and sunscreens

Cerave AM and PM = Nothing special, but I have found some moistures for me acts as an acid when used with retin-A, this has been just a plain moisturizer and I use the AM as sunscreen ( it has 30SPF) and PM for night moisturizer.

Sisley Ecologique = This is super pricey, but my all time favorite moisturizer, however I haven't really used this after the laser because I am scared it might cause damage so I haven't used anything that doctor doesn't recommend.

Aveeno Ultra Calm = This is my favorite sunscreen also recommended by my derm with the Cerave. I personally like this better than Cerave, but they have 30 and 15SPF, but it's very new so 30SPF is really hard to get. So i have been just using the Cerave, but tried samples before and it was very soothing and will like to switch if I can.

Revision tinted Moisturizer (45SPF) = I have been using this as my foundation/sunscreen. Honestly I love this stuff, but today I was thinking why my face started to burn and retin-a not working. I am kind of wondering if it is this stuff because I think it might be the time when i started using this. Like I said, stuff sometimes acts like acid on me. So.. Having said that I am going to stop using this and see... and I'll let you know

Serums

Mario Badescue Vitamin C serum = It was awesome the day one, but it just totally didn't work from second day on, It made me wonder if the serum oxidized after opening.

Obaji vitamin C 15% = Same as above

Lancome Genefique = It was good, but again I am scared to use anything that derm did not recommend sticking to my routine rightnow.

Estee Lauder the brown bottle = Like it, very moisturizing, but again I am not using it because I am sticking to my derm's recommendation.

Eye cream

Gurlain = This is my favorite eye cream, I have tried all store brands literally because I was always so focused in not having any lines around the eyes (so much for that because i have lines all around my eyes thanks to the IDIOT doctor of mine) and its very heavy, but can cause some breakouts in the area if you apply too much.

Lumier by Neocutis = This was recommended and sold at my derm so I currently use this and I really thought I would never find an eyecream to match Gurlain, I want to say I like this better.

Oils

Emu Oil = I have tried Platinum Skin care emu Oil and I really like them, but i tried the one from Skin biology and that one made me break out, so I recommend getting a good brand.

Coconut Oil = I tried this recommended by a friend. I used it to remove make-up, but I heard better things about Emu oil so it's been replaced. I am not sure which one is better.

Rosehip oil = I tried this because it was recommended on this site, but it made me breakout.

Olive oil = I tried this trying to be natural, again it made me breakout.

Face Mask

SKII = This brand is like raved over in Korea, it's a Japanese make and you can get them from Saks Fifth in the US. I know friends swear by this and I have used it prior to laser and it was good. Well, I am not sure if it was the laser or retin-a with this mask, but it burned my face and started acting like an acid. SKII is known for Pierta ( A product from Saki the liquor) Oh my! Please stay away from this. I got major damages from this mask.

Mario Badesque Whitening Mask = I know Mario is known for this mask, but it was too drying and harsh for me and lightening affect wasn't really there.

Mario Badesque Collagen Mask = did nothing

Mario badesque Cucumber Mask = Nothing

Others

Alex BB cream = This is created by a german pharmacist and it's suppose to be used after their herbal peel. It's suppose to be an extensive peel and help recover from that. Well, the stuff is although made out of herbs, it's like foundation and you can use it as a foundation. Personally I really like this stuff, but haven't been using it because it doesn't have any SPF in them.

Shuramec BB cream = Cant tell any difference between Alex and Shuramec, it's all the same and they even said that the people that make this are related. So same comment as above.

Aloe Plant = Whenever my face burns like crazy and due to a product acting like acid this does the best job calming it down. I use this as a mask very regularly.

Vitamin E oil = I wore this as a mask before, but was not recommended on this site so I stopped using it and just taking them orally.

Retin-A = I know recently I have been having issue with this product, but I honestly can not say enough about this. It has really repaired a lot of my issues. I had very ashy color leathery skin. Sagging and my color tone on my face was atleast 4 shades darker than my hands. It has lightened my skin and it's not the same as my hand, but it's close. Also my texture improved a lot and also my face has thickened without a doubt. If anyone can handle this cream I strongly recommend it and I hope I will be able to continue to handle this product.

Aquaphor = I started using this like 4 days ago? I called my derm complaining about my face peeling layers of collagen on the surface and wrinkles and also the burning.. Well, he said to use this. It's like vasceline very heavy. I was afraid I would breakout, but surprisingly it's very soothing and no breakouts. If my derm allows me I plan on using this all winter and skip the cerave and continue that during summer.

I do want to add this statement, I know I used to purchase cosmetics from Amazon and ebay because you can get it for cheaper, but i heard there are a lot of fakes. So please be careful since our skin is not normal. I would rather spend the money than take the chance rightnow.
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by beck » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:37 am

I currently am using:

AM:
Neutrogena glycerine bar to wash face with Clarisonic face brush
Psoria-Gold Ultra on areas that were damaged the most
Psoria-Gold regular strength on the rest of my face
CHAS from skin actives
Sea Buckthorn Oil by Sibu

PM:
Neutrogena glycerine bar to wash face with Clarisonic face brush
Psoria-Gold Ultra on areas that were damaged the most
Psoria-Gold regular strenght on the rest of my face
CHAS from Skin Actives
Metro Gel
Atralin (Tretoin)
Sea Buckthorn Oil by Sibu
Emu Oil (I add Skin Actives Anti-ox active to the oil)

I have tried Rose Hip Oil. I did like the results but felt it made me break out.

I also use the capillary cream from skin actives. However, it is a brownish color so I only use it at night. I am not sure if it helps with the capillaries, but it is very soothing on the skin.
beck
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by cveroleyva » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:16 am

Beck,
Do you find the clarisonic good for your skin? i stopped using it earlier this year, but was debating whether i should go back. i loved it prelaser! why didn't i just stick to my routine, why did i have to be shi shi and go for ipl? agh! lololol.
cveroleyva

Return to Brand Name Product Mentions and Reviews (PUBLIC)