Retin A Nightmare/Toxic Effects they don't tell you

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Retin A Nightmare/Toxic Effects they don't tell you

PostPosted by chase315 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 am

I started using Retin a Micro .04% on January 7, 2011 every night, only a pea-sized amount on my entire face for some minor sun damage. Doctors do not tell you ALL of the side effects associated with retin a. I had to stop on February 6, 2011 because my face developed HUGE open pores, orange peel texture, pimples, blisters, and intense burning, also became extremely oily and very pale skin color. Now its June 23, 2011, and I'm still experienced burning, open pores and the orange peel texture. I've been to several derms and they say that retin a is so great for your skin and no one ever experiences these symptoms I am having, but a plastic surgeon told me to never use retin a because it has horrible toxic effects and causes the problems I am having. He said he was not sure if any of this would be permanent. He also said to never never let anyone put a laser to your face. I always had smooth, poreless skin and get an occasional pimple here and there but never needed to use any meds for it. It is now June 23, 2011, and I still continue to have severe facial burning and the orange peel texture with enlarged pores and sun sensitivity. Also, my skin color is still very pale any my skin is very dry. The pimples have lessened as of late and so has the extreme oiliness/waxy look has gone away and I've noticed a very slight change in the texture. I think my epidermis is starting to regenerate/thicken up slightly since the retin a thinned it a lot. Retin a also increases hair growth in some people. I have experienced that as well. That is a fact as I have read it online that other women experienced this too. I also experienced joint pain, nausea (lost 15 pounds), very low blood pressure and depression from all of this. The joint pain, low blood pressure and nausea went away quickly after stopping the retin a. This has caused my so much anxiety. My skin looks awful from this horrible texture now. I hope it will go back to the way it was before. I'm hoping as I read on here that the orange peel texture may be from inflammation. Have you or anyone been told that the inflammation was causing the orange peel texture? I just want others to beware that Retin a may prolong or worsen conditions caused by laser damage or chemical peels. Retin a causes epidermal and dermal atrophy. Retin a goes deeper than your epidermis, into the dermis. It causes irritation and inflammation and thins your epidermis by 25%. They say it thickens your dermis but I think that is due to the inflammation. Thinning your epidermis is not a good thing if you already had your skin burned by a laser or have had a chemical peel. This inflammation or swelling in the dermis makes people think that their scars and wrinkles are fading or going away when, in reality, it's just swelling that's plumping up your face. That is really the science by Retin a, it causes irritation, thus causing inflammation and a plumping up effect. The effects of Retin a on wrinkles and deep scars are only temporary. Once you stop using Retin a, and the inflammation and plumping effect goes away, the wrinkles and scars come back. I know this to be true because I had a few wrinkles around the eyes and they are completely gone after only a month of using Retin a. My face is still puffy all over. At this point, I am not putting anything on my face and only washing it once or twice a day with Cetaphil, no make up, not anything, just sunscreen if I go out in the sun but I'm trying to avoid it as much as I can. I know my reaction to Retin a is a severe one and most people will not experience all of these side effects as I did but if you search for the toxic effects of Retin a, most people will be very surprised what they don't tell you about Retin a. I read about people having neurologic, liver and kidney damage as well as severe eye problems to name a few. Just wanted to put this information out there so that others can be aware of the dangers of Retin a as well. I pray that everyone will heal.
chase315

Re: Retin A Nightmare/Toxic Effects they don't tell you

PostPosted by WG1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Yes, dr. Schwarcz did say it is the inflammation that causes the orange peel texture and enlarged appearance of pores. So I am hopeful this is not a permanent effect and, indeed, I have seen improvement.

Because you talk about lasers I am not certain whether you have had laser or if you attribute all of your damage to Retin A. I must say that I'm glad some people with skin inflammation caused by other sources are posting because we can compare notes and get some insight into everyone's problems.

I am sorry that you're dealing with this, Chase. I have heard of other people having bad outcomes with Retin A but have also heard that the ill effects improve over time after you stop using the product.
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by WG1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:08 pm

And who is this doctor who told you to stay away from lasers? That's awesome!
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by DCNGA » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Her problems are from Retin A only, no lasers involved.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by chase315 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 pm

WG1 wrote:Yes, dr. Schwarcz did say it is the inflammation that causes the orange peel texture and enlarged appearance of pores. So I am hopeful this is not a permanent effect and, indeed, I have seen improvement.

Because you talk about lasers I am not certain whether you have had laser or if you attribute all of your damage to Retin A. I must say that I'm glad some people with skin inflammation caused by other sources are posting because we can compare notes and get some insight into everyone's problems.

I am sorry that you're dealing with this, Chase. I have heard of other people having bad outcomes with Retin A but have also heard that the ill effects improve over time after you stop using the product.

WG1, Thanks for your reply. I have never had a laser treatment or a chemical peel. All my damage is from Retin A. I only used a pea-sized amount on my entire face nightly for a month for some minor sun damage as prescribed by a derm. I'm hopeful that this inflammation will resolve in time then. I have to read your story. I'm glad you have seen improvement. I hope you continue to a full recovery. Please continue to post your progress.
chase315

PostPosted by chase315 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:20 pm

WG1 wrote:And who is this doctor who told you to stay away from lasers? That's awesome!

Mark Manstein, M.D. in Pennsylvania. He's a plastic surgeon and said Retin A is toxic and never prescribes it. And he said NEVER let anyone touch your face with a laser. The reason he said this is because I told him the derm who prescribed the Retin A wanted first to use a laser. This derm was so pushy, wouldn't answer my questions regarding the laser because I didn't know anything about them at the time and said he wasn't sure how many treatments I would need and what kind of benefit I would have. He kept saying it'll only take a few minutes. I'm glad I said no to the laser. But I did ask if a cream would work so he gave me Retin A instead. The plastic surgeon also said that this derm must need the money to pay for his laser.
chase315

PostPosted by DCNGA » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Well, he's the first totally honest speaking doctor on this subject I've heard of in four and a half years.

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by WG1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Wow! Yay for doctor Manstein!!!
WG1
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by chumdog90 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:36 pm

I am so very sorry for what you have been going through. Believe it or not, our situations are almost identical. After reading your post, I thought for a moment that I was reading what I had written on other websites. Our symptoms, damage, situations almost mirror each other. I wish I had never even known about Retin-A or had been given it. I was prescribed it because of adult acne (I'm a female, by the way) and it has been an absolute nightmare ever since. I, too, have been told by dermatologists that it can't possibly do this. One dermatologist went so far as to try and prescribe it to me again after I explicitly told her what it had done to me. Do these people not listen to us? I swear these dermatologists only know pimples, rashes and moles - aside from that, they're clueless. It's pathetic that they know very little else about the skin or the medications they prescribe for it. I've even been to university hospitals and they are not any better in terms of expertise or knowledge. It's not like I've been a sitting duck, hoping this will resolve itself, which it hasn't. I've been proactiv in seeking out answers, doctors, etc. - all for nothing. All I have is a bunch of medical bills piled up. It's like throwing your money out the window when no one is helping you. I have been suffering with this for far longer than you and let me tell you, it has been suffering and frustrating - physically and emotionally. It's like I'm in a horrible nightmare and I can't wake from it. How have you been doing since your June post? Please let me know, I'm equally concerned about you and completely sympathize and it seems like you're the only one out there who is just like me. I'm convinced there are others out there also, but they probably haven't posted anything or been vocal about their situation, so I may never know who else has been affected like this. I hope we can communicate - maybe we can help one another or by some miracle, someone will help us. Thank you and God Bless!
chumdog90

PostPosted by Scar4Life » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Chase and Chumdog, I feel your pain and know exactly what you are going through. Retin-a is not for everyone and it certainly was not for me. I posted my review on http://www.realself.com/review/san-ramon-retin-a-damaged-face. My derm gave me free samples for a few brown spots on my face. I used a pea size amount once a week for 3 1/2 months. I was beet red and burning during that entire time. Also, my skin would peel off in patches. My derm assured me all my symptoms were normal and to be expected. He also said that I should continue on and if I do so I should see good results. One day my face just peeled big time and I was horrified to see broken capillaries. That's when I finally stop the retin-a. It's been 2 months since I stopped. I have never been so severely depressed. I have orange peel skin, broken capillaries, and milia. Also, it seems like I have more wrinkles because my skin peeled off in patches. At a certain light you can see where the patches of skin came off and it makes my skin look uneven, like those patches were indentations in my skin, and wrinkly. I am so devastated. I was hoping to do microdermabrasion to even out my skin layers -- get rid of those indentations but I'm just too scared to do anything right now. I did try emu oil but it didn't work for me.
Scar4Life

PostPosted by DCNGA » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm very sorry you're all going through this over RetinA. The fact that you've been harmed and others have not, is just testimony to how unbelievably unpredictable all of this stuff is. Your stories and your issues are no less frustrating or heartbreaking than those harmed by cosmetic devices. The fact that it sounds so similar in the final outcome to the skin is confounding and confusing.

This must truly all be a medical skin condition and I wish I understood why it happens so we could stop it for those who are susceptible to the harm. I wish I was a research scientist, sincerely.

So sorry everyone has to suffer this way.

DCNGA

PostPosted by chase315 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:29 pm

chumdog90 and scar4life,
Just wanted to let you know that since June, I have seen a lot of improvement. The burning finally stopped at the end of July. The texture is improving, but not back to smooth like before. It's not sun sensitive like before and not super oily anymore either. I think it will take another several months to totally get rid of the orange peel look. My pores look smaller. I saw a doctor at Temple University Burn Center back at the end of June. He told me that it takes up to 2 years to heal from deep soft tissue burns like mine. He said that people that have had bad chemical peels also experience the same thing I did. He said basically retin a is like a chemical peel. I'm still not putting anything on my face, except for sun screen. I'm not sure if either of you said how long you have been dealing with your issues. Have either of you seen any improvement?
Chase315
chase315

PostPosted by Bowman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Chase

That is awesome news!! I am sure news like that makes you feel so much better about the future!! I truly hope you have a complete recovery!!

Thanks for updating!! :)
Bowman
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by chase315 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Boiwman, Thank you for your kind words.
chase315

PostPosted by DCNGA » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Great news indeed. I'm so very happy you're improving. This will give others hope as well, since the texture damage is so similar to laser damage.

DCNGA

PostPosted by Scar4Life » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Hey Chase,

I am so glad you’re back on this forum and you’re doing better! It’s been about 2 months since I stop using retin-a. All I use on my face now is Cetaphil cleanser, Cerave PM lotion, and sunscreen. I also quit using hydroquinone. So my brown spots which is why I used retin-a in the first place are even darker (ugh!). I tried a couple of skin brightener/lightener serums, Clinique and Caudalie. Both serums felt good but didn’t lighten my brown spots at all.

I took a good look at my face this morning and honestly I don’t see much has changed. I can say that I do not look like a bright red tomato any more. The redness and inflammation has mostly dissipated. I still have occasional burning sensations (which means I still have traces of retin-a in my system???). The orange peel texture, enlarged pores, milia, and broken caps are still there! I also have little patches of dents where my skin peeled off. On top of that, the natural glow and dew I once had is gone, replaced with dull looking skin.

The doctors and esthetician I talked to were useless. I felt I wasted my time with them. I didn’t get anything out of these visits except more bills and frustration. Not one of them said anything about retin-a being like a chemical peel but what you said made sense. The top layer of my skin (probably more than that too) has been peeled off.

Chase, I’m happy that you’ve seen some improvements. Maybe there’s some hope for me too. Do you know if there is anything to make the skin thicker? I already tried the Skinceuticals Epidermal Repair. It’s a feel good moisturizer and it didn’t do anything more than moisturize.

Thank you for your update!
Scar4Life

PostPosted by chase315 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:16 am

Scar4life,
I also went to another doctor back in July who said that eventually your skin will go back to normal after stopping retin a but it takes a while. People don't realize that retin a is an acid. Acid is bad for anything and we put it on our face, unknowingly. I don't think a lot of doctors even really care, it's not their face. Your skin grows from the bottom up and naturally sheds the outer layer as we wash our face, no need for harsh chemicals or treatments to do it. The damaged layers have to grow out to reveal the normal flat skin, or whatever, your skin texture looked like before. I have seen this over the past several months that the holes around my pores are getting smaller every few weeks. In fact, a few places I can actually see it flat again. But it takes time depending on how deep the damage is. I remember reading on here from another woman, cardar, I think her name is, that said that her orange peel texture vanished after 14 months and she had laser damage. A skin cycle takes about 4-6 weeks, depending on your age, obviously less if you are in your 20's. She also said she put nothing on her face. That's what I am doing, nothing on my face. No lotions or moisturizers of any kind, no makeup. Your skin is healing so I think less chemicals is better. Your body has a way of healing on its own. Unfortunately, it may take more time than we like but I believe that just leaving my face alone has helped a great deal. Everything we put on our face has an effect. I also believe that women have more skin problems because of all the makeup, moisturizers, etc. we use. Just too many chemicals being put on our face and we don't even know what they all do. There's nothing that thickens the skin and, as we age, our skin thins. My only advice is be gentle with your skin, let your own natural oils moisturize your skin. I only splash cold water on my face in the morning most days. I know you will see your skin change over time too.
chase315

PostPosted by Scar4Life » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Thank you Chase!

How I wished I had never used retin-a. I guess I have long ways to go and being over 50 doesn't help.
Scar4Life

PostPosted by Erica » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:27 pm

So confused! Some say it thickens the skin, others say it thins it! Would love to understand it better!
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by DCNGA » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Depends on who you ask. It causes cells to turn over faster. If you subscibe to the hayflick theory, then it thins the skin (eventually). If you don't subscribe to hayflick, then you will likely believe it generates collagen and thereby 'thickens' the skin so to speak.

DCNGA

PostPosted by chase315 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:50 am

Retin a doesn't thicken your skin as in added more layers or more skin. It thickens by irritation and swelling. As the doctor explained it to me. Since it's an acid, it causes the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis, to shed faster than normal, which thins the outer layer. The layer deeper, your dermis, becomes thicker because it causes irritation which, in turns causes swelling. That swelling in the underneath layer, the dermis, is what plumps up your face/skin and smooths out wrinkles. Once you stop using retin a, your skin returns to normal overtime. It doesn't stay plump or thick. I can attest to that fact as being true as my face is finally back to it's normal thinness. My cheeks, nose and lips were swollen for months. I had puffy cheeks which was not normal for me. Constant irritation to your skin is not good. It eventually causes damage. That is why one of the other doctors, the plastic surgeon, said it is never recommended for use longer than six months because doctors don't really understand completely how retin a works. In fact almost all studies involving retin a are only 6 month studies. I've searched all over online for even one long-term on retin a and could not find a single one. I've read about Hayflick's limit which sounds very reasonable but no doctor ever mentioned anything about Hayflicks. I guess it could be reasonable to think that we could age our cells faster by forcing them to turn over faster. Kind of like when the do invitro. They force your body to produce more eggs at one time than the normal one or two a month. We're told that we are born with only so many eggs and than that's it. So forcing your body to produce them faster means you run out of them sooner. That, I can also say is true because I have had several friends who underwent invitro and they went through menopause much earlier than the average age.
chase315

PostPosted by tennismom42 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 am

Wow, I had no idea Retin A was so dangerous. I've heard so many conflicting opinions on Retin A, but up until now, most of them were positive. However, about 6 months ago, I actually had a nurse tell me that being too aggressive with your skin with things like Retin A and glycolic acid could actually damage and thin the skin. I wasn't sure if I should believe her, but after reading your story, I think she was right.
I'm really glad to hear that your skin is improving now. And it was so refreshing to hear a PS actually advise against a laser and Retina A - that's a first for me:)
tennismom42

PostPosted by chase315 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Just wanted to give an update. I know people like to hear how others have healed or progressed. I think I mentioned a while back that the one doctor I went to back in July told me that in about 3 months, my skin would look normal again. She was pretty close. I have seen a dramatic change since then. The orange peel texture is 90% gone. And it hasn't burned since August sometime. I remember reading another woman on here Cardar. I think she said hers vanished in about 14 months. It's been 8-1/2 months for me. I figure in about another month, it should be totally gone. Time and patience is the key. The doctor said your skin renew itself from the bottom up and I saw that happen. Try not to use anything else on your skin, not even moisturizer. It is hard not to put something on your face but I believe putting nothing on my face allowed the natural oils to heal it, rather than adding more chemicals to the skin. I also think I recall that Cardar put nothing on her face as well. I hope others on here are getting better. Time does make things better, don't give up hope!!!
chase315

PostPosted by Kiki » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for the update chase! I'm so happy things are better for you; that is totally awesome.

I'd like to just clarify though that Cardar did not have damage from using Retin A, she had IPL damage. I personally do not think that damage created due to Retin A is the same as the deep, dermal damage caused by laser and light devices. I have had many, many skin reactions from products over the years which caused my skin to look red, inflamed, bumpy and orange-peel like. Each time, it eventually resolved.

I once used an anti wrinkle cream that contained caffeine. I had a horrible rash all over my face and my skin was inflamed. It took a couple of weeks, but finally my skin calmed down and returned to normal. The damage the IPL caused never resolved, even a year later. All I'm trying to say is that I think the skin heals better after reacting unfavorably to topicals. I'm not sure it's quite the same once the skin's underlying cellular structure has been permanently altered. For some reason, those of us damaged by these devices don't see the skin renewing as it normally should.

Again, soooo very happy that you're better now chase, and the update is sooooo helpful to others in the same boat.
Kiki
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by beck » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:47 pm

I am happy for you Chase. I am sure it has seemed like an eternity waiting for your skin to improve, but I am glad it did. I agree with Kiki as far as device damage goes. It goes deep into the skin layers that cause reactions that are unpredictable, and the skin just can't regenerate. I am glad you found a good doctor that didn't do anything drastic to cause you more damage. Alot of doctors instantly say lasers are the cure all.
beck
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by eme » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Chase,

I was wondering what the burn center told you exactly? Were they able to see the damage? What did they do exactly when you went to visit? Did they tell you to use anything on your skin?
I have been thinking about trying to find a burn center in my area as I had IPL a couple of months ago to see if they could recommend anything for me.
I would love to hear your experience when you went.

thanks, eme
eme

PostPosted by eme » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi Chase,

It is eme again. I am curious how old you are? I am 30yr. old woman and am in hope that I will show improvements over time as well, but am unsure if my enlarged pores/pin prick marks are due to tretinoin or IPL. I had IPL on Sept. 22 and started using tretinoin on Sept. 8th, until Oct. 28th when I noticed the texture changes. I stopped with the cream and over three weeks later have not shown any improvement whatsoever.
Do you have photos of your skin when it looked bad? I will give you my personal email if you wish to send them to me directly, I can send you some pictures of my skin.
Total time, how long did it take until you saw improvements, and time when you felt like your skin finally went back to normal?

Thank you!!!!
eme

PostPosted by DCNGA » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 pm

It looks like Chase has not logged on since Nov. 4.

DCNGA

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:31 am

Hmmm~

This is very interesting post because 6months was when Retin-a kept acting up on me and I kept backing off and trying back continually. Now I am totally off of it, but completely wishing my face would handle it again.

I agree with KiKi in that topical damage are so different from laser. This is definitely something I have never experienced in my life and it lterally feels like tr skin on my face is dead and very irritated and burning 24/7. Before if my skin seemed dull, small peels like a scrub, microdermabration or others just brought the glow back, but nothing does anything for me now. It just makes things worse and sometimes feels like I have put acid on my open sores.

I did read some articles on 2 year studies on retin-a that were pretty positive, but I believe 6months is a
Pretty standard believe to get maximum resut period. Thank you for sharing this. This gives me more reason to stay off of it for a while. Sigh~
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Hmmm the whole subject of Hayflick makes me wonder if I am at that state.

I had fraxel 3 times, Blu-U 3 times, and I have had other lasers like isolaz about 3 times and also very regular microdermabrations when I was in collage. :o
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by electricboom » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Not sure if anyone checks this thread or not, I actually had a question for Chase315...i too have enlarged orange peel skin after retinol use, and it was only only a little over a month usage! I've stopped usage for exactly 3 weeks now and I was wondering if there was anything (non surgical of course) you did to help speed up healing? I've been using a little bit of argan oil at night as a moisturizer, was going to try EMU oil but I know they use it for hair growth and i'm afraid to get facial hair. I'm only 26...turning 27 in April and my skin is soooooo bad :( it makes me so upset. I just need any kind of advice. My depression is off and on I try to live my life happy. but I don't even do the things I enjoy anymore because im so darn self conscious of my skin. :( any advice? help!
electricboom

PostPosted by Mandy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 am

Hi electric boom, chase hasnt been on here for quite awhile. I have texture problems too from retin a. I think and hope with time it will resolve itself. I'm just babying my skin with cerave lotion and sunscreen. Mine happened in December so I havent seen any huge improvement yet. I know how hard this is I'm sorry that your going through it. I'm curious if u have lines in between the pores? Thats what i have.
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by jikai83 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 am

I had the exact same problem with retinal use, but the inflammation is only temporary as well as the orange peel skin. I had a million huge pores while on retin a...made my skin look scary, but thankfully my skin became normal eventually. It can take several months. Took me about 5 months. I no longer see my pores at all. Give it time. Don't do anything crazy or rush into treatments, cause this is a temporary effect. You will only make things worse, considering your skin is very sensitive when using retinols, therefore more prone to scarring. Use a mild face wash, no scrubs or exfoliants, and some emu oil for the inflammation.
jikai83

PostPosted by electricboom » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:40 pm

@mandy. I haven't used it in 5 weeks. Ugh skin still looks aweful, i hate it because I don't even like to be in the sun at all now (i live in florida... :-/ ) Thankfully it's still not summer...and in the morning i just use water to wash my face and i've purchased emu, argan and grapeseed oil to sometimes put on my face at night to moisturize. I can't use any cleansers because my skin is sensitive and will break out in huge cyst pimples. (it's happened with purpose even).
I'm so hoping that it will go away, some days I'm ok...yesterday I came home in tears. So I can be such an emotional rollercoaster sometimes. I'm 26 years old..and I've seen people double my age with better skin!

@Jikai thanks for your response, it gives me hope still to hear that your skin resolved. And I am also happy for you. Do you use emu oil to wash or just put it on at night? I know that emu oil is used for hair growth too, so i don't use it that much because i'm paranoid my facial hair will increase. lol.
Any other tips? Did you get any indents and line/connecting looking pores too. My face looks crazy...indents. pores and places where I had almost not noticeble acne scars got wider/deeper.
electricboom

PostPosted by electricboom » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:53 pm

By the ways I was using Skinceuticals retinol not Retin-a...but still a form of it. I started out with 0.5 strength and my skin didnt even peel...so i got the 1.0 strength and a week after the use BAM ...horror. i returned them both and don't use ANY retinol, or anything harsh.
electricboom

PostPosted by Mandy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi electricboom. I'm stil not seeing much of a improvement. Do you see lines in between the pores? I have the uneven skin too. Its very depressing i'm hoping with time it will get better. Sorry your going through this. I'm sure your skin will return back to normal. Just need some patience.
Mandy
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted by jikai83 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes, I had the pores, connecting lines, everything...you name it. This was after my laser damage, so it magnified things by like a million. I was still trying to figure out what the hell was going on with my face with the laser damage when I started retin a, so when things got really bad after retin a, I felt so hopeless. It was like a double whammy. I couldn't even see normal skin cause it was covered with pores and ice pick scars...as well as a million lines. But I don't see any pores now. I have to look really closely in the mirror to see some baby pores on my forehead but that's it. The part where I did screw up was when I went in panic mode while on retin a...I used almost every product and scrub trying to "fix" my skin. This backfired and left me with new scars. Your skin is extra sensitive with retinols so the best thing you can do is wait it out and in time, your skin will return to normal. I used emu oil for the inflammation and it helped. Never heard about the hair side effect. Lol I now use Shea butter and it's very soothing. My skin is almost completely back to normal since my laser damage, but I really believe the remaining problems will be fixed with fat grafting.
jikai83

PostPosted by electricboom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:12 am

Thank you for your quick response, communicating with people who relate and understand is comforting. Because everyone
else when I have my bad mood/skin days don't.
Can I ask you what you used for cleansers, I use mineral powder makeup and I can't use anything without breaking me out but I'm starting to get blackheads...
Ugh. It never ends! I was thinking about using neutrogena makeup remover towelettes but theres so many chemicals/ingredients in those too that I'm kinda scared to use them too. :roll:
electricboom

PostPosted by electricboom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:13 am

@Mandy- Are you still using harsh or retinol products. I was just wondering, Or what is your current regimen?
electricboom

PostPosted by jikai83 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:53 am

I use natural cleansers. I currently use an all natural one from Trader Joe's. :) you will be fine. Just avoid the mirror for now. You will get better with time. It's just temporary inflammation you are experiencing.
jikai83

Next

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)