Retin A Nightmare/Toxic Effects they don't tell you

(Public Forum) This forum is for new ('newbie") members to ask questions and receive support. New members can post their story in this area.

Re: Retin A Nightmare/Toxic Effects they don't tell you

PostPosted by meemz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 pm

VioletFox,

I am really sorry that you have been damaged by Retin A. I am one of those who were damaged by Retin A and it was the thing the caused all this mess that I am having. It caused inflammation and redness and exposed broken blood vessels and then one dermatologist diagnosed this with rosacea and performed laser treatments on me and caused further damage.

I really hope that the dermatologist you will see will help you. From my experience, I went to see 3 different dermatologists to help me with this damage and guess what! The only thing that they prescribed is steroid! If one steroid did not work they prescribe another one.. I used hydrocortisone, ointment steroids, cream steroids, and oral steroids, nothing helped and I believe it made things worse! I had what I believe a rebound effect. When I stopped the steroids my skin started to flare up badly for a while and it was not until recently my skin started to calm down after starting using Psoria-Gold. Steroids made my skin thin and sensitive to everything. The only dermatologist that told me not to use steroids was Dr.Heng. She said steroid cause steroid induced rosacea and thin the skin.

I hope that the dermatologist you are going to see will have answers to you

Wish you much healing
meemz

PostPosted by VioletFox » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Thank you! I think I'll hold off on using any cortisone types of treatments.
VioletFox

PostPosted by VioletFox » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 am

Meemz, thank you for the helpful information. If the doc tries to prescribe me a steroid tomorrow, I think I will kindly deny it. No need to thin some already thin skin. The puffy feeling isn't completely intolerable and doesn't necessarily burn, but it feels like my forehead is inflated, which I figure is swelling. Perhaps, taking an oral anti-inflammatory may help? The retinol caused a very shallow burn on my forehead. I'm hoping it will dissipate on its own without leaving a textural scar. It doesn't look too awfully bad, but the pores above my eyebrows are more than I can handle.
Has psoria gold had a good effect on your pore size?
I've heard that it can help them regain their "invisible" or at least unnoticeable appearance.

Thank you for your quick reply. You could have potentially just saved me from buying into a steroid that would worsen the situation. I greatly appreciate it.
VioletFox

PostPosted by meemz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:37 am

Violetfox,

I am here to learn from others and get their help and support and the least that i can do is to help others by sharing my experience so no need to thank me :).
You mentioned oral anti-inflammatory, i took doxycycline for 3 weeks and unfortunately it did not help and it made things worse. The dermatologist that prescribed it to me did not tell me that I should strictly avoid the sun. When i saw another derm, she told me that when taking doxycyline you should not go out in the sun at all as they photosensitize the skin. Oral anti-inflammatories might help you and what happened to me might not happen to you, but i think if your case is not that severe, it is better to avoid antibiotics in general. If you decided to take oral anti-inflammatories, be sure to wear large sunglasses and a hat that will completeLy cover your entire face if you needed to go out in the sun.

About if my pores are improving with Psoria-Gold, to be honest, i have large pores on my forehead, but the damage to my cheeks is all what i am focusing on right now. But in general my forehead is becoming more elastic.
meemz

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 am

Honestly with me, I was so badly burned, I had literally burn scars all over my entire face and I still do. When I was done with the laser, my face was sooo swollen you can’t stretch it anymore and I had blood inside my face moving around…. And he did another procedure after 2 weeks. So YES I was VERY STUPID!! OMG!!! And after reading hours and hours a day, for months and months. And I think D, Erica, Honeycomb, Mandy.. I mean whoever was very active at the time I joined will testify to this, I was trying EVERYTHING, reading up EVERYTHING, and I was visiting dermatologists…. It was a mess!!! And I have made a decision that Retin-A was the way to go!! So I was sooo happy. I was like FINALLY!! I have found my BIG DADDY CREAM!!! And when that started not working I didn’t know whatelse to do. So I was trying stuff like Manuka Honey, I mean.. whatever seemed soothing and whatever the internet said would help with burn scars.

So what I have realized after reading all that, I have realized that Burn scars are SOOOO Complicated, I really don’t think there are doctors that really can help us unless they really really try HARD. I read that it’s like dealing with cancer. There is no answer, it’s just very very complicated. And doctors no matter how knowledgeable they are, they can’t figure things out after looking at you for 2 mins every couple of months. And even if they are knowledgeable, I think burn is a specialty that is required for dermatologist. It’s just not possible to know without spending time with your patient and that’s what every doctor does!! And when D after her researching extensively.. trying to help us out. She ran into Psoria people started using it, and people actually liked it.. And even then I was reluctant to try it, but later because I felt I had no other option, I went ahead. And I remember emailing the doctor like every other day, and the woman would write me back. So I thought, maybe she is this doctor that has no life!! But when I researched her credentials, she was very legit!! Infact, best of the best!! And when she was willing to take me on and really try to figure out what was wrong with me ( I had a lot… I MEAN A LOT Of complications from this laser) I decided to stick to her and do whatever she said.

And honestly, she did invent Psoria, but she obviously believes in it and when I first saw her the area around her eyes were yellow, so I knew she used it herself. Having said this I was willing to do whatever she said and really trust her. I mean, I don’t see laser doctors do laser on themselves. I have not really. And I am glad I did because I really have improved A LOT. It’s been a really long and hard journey and it’s been 1 year and 1 month since I have used Psoria and I still have so much more healing to do, but I am very optimistic, perhaps next year around this time I would be able to say, Hey Guys I am really at a point where I am happy with myself. Seriously!!! So this is why, I have been so advocating Psoria.

One thing sucks about Psoria though is, the improvement is not a consistent. So oneday, your skin looks really bad and it stays that way, and after a while, one day it just improves, and for a while it goes through rough stages, and it gets better.. and it’s just this consistent up and down and up and down… For me it was anyways… and whenever you are going through the down patches it’s so depressing… and there were times when I was going.. OMG!! What if this is not the right thing to do? But I was at the point where… I felt like I had no other option to try.. And I would email Dr. Heng complain complain.. going are you sure? And she would explain in a very long and detail scientific reason why its okay… So I would just listen to her. But eitherway, My face has really improved BEYOND what I thought possible.

And I did talk to Siana last week and she was also damaged by IPL, not sure if you all know, but for her she used Psoria right away so she was able to fully recover. Thing is, she said she has been using it for the last 4 years. She was telling me her story of how her skin behaved at certain times and I am literally going through the same path. Like I had lizard skin.. and now I am going through a very severe dry phase.. and I didn’t even tell her about my situation and she just was telling me hers and she told me after she went through the dry patches she felt like her skin just came back to where it needed it to be, so I am feeling very optimistic. And now she said she felt like its better than what it was before and she was so happy about Psoria and that she was planning on using it for the rest of her life.

Sorry for the long winded writing and sorry for just consistently talking about Dr. H and Psoria, but at this point for me anyways… I just can’t think of what I could have done better so I am feeling very passionate about sharing….. And I know I also was strongly advising fruit diet. And I really believe in that also. It’s been difficult to follow through so I have been doing like a meal of fruit a day, but also taking some enzyme pills as supplements and I think the enzymes have been positive for me. So eating well is also very very important. And whole philosophy behind the Psoria is really to assist your skin’s natural healing process anyways so, I think if you eat well, take care of your body well it would just help the process even more.
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by VioletFox » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Meemz,
I will try not to take anything too drastic. I'll let you guys know if she convinces me of trying anything today. I'm actually on my way to the appt now. When I was much younger, I took doxycycline, and it didn't do anything for my acne, so I don't think I'd agree to that either.

Blue,
I'm so sorry for everything a stupid doctor did to you. It's not our fault for entrusting in others to take care of us. Sadly, people aren't as empathetic to the people they harm. Most likely because they don't have to deal with the pain and depression. It's hard for me to get out of bed most days. I've lost ten pounds, and it's hard for me to take care of myself unless someone puts some food in my face and tells me to eat it. I've become so reliant on the support of others this past month.
Even though my damage isn't as bad as yours, I know that the emotional strain that this has caused us is probably similar. Although you do seem to have much more vigor than me, so props to you for that. It takes a strong individual.
I trust what you are telling me about Dr. Heng. She seems quite nice. I will definitely email her later. I saw an email address earlier in the forum. Is that how I contact her?
Maybe if I start psoria, I can have healing sooner. I do actually have a slight chemical burn. I don't know if it will scar yet.
I'm going to ask the derm how it looks.
Sometimes, I just plainly have a breakdown. Yesterday, I cried my eyes out like there was no tomorrow. I guess everyone needs a release. Thankfully, I have my parents, but I didn't let them see me like that.
It a daily struggle. I can feel for you, blue. I just know that this should not make us although it has changed our lives.

I encourage anyone to watch the documentary on YouTube about Katie Piper. She had acid thrown in her face a few years ago. It's really inspiring. Not that I'm really comparing the damage to hers, but moreso the courage and lifestyle changes she dealt with to ours. Many of us can be afraid to go outdoors, and i do think things will get better for the both of us.

Personally, I would never not date someone because of enlarged pores or scars. You just have to find the right person who can love you no matter what. We are our biggest critics. :)
VioletFox

PostPosted by VioletFox » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Well, as expected, she wasn't very helpful. I feel like I could easily be a dermatologist as good as her with no extra education. She prescribed a steroid, as I thought she would, and she was very insistent.

What should I do? She said it will help with the inflammation, but will it worsen things if I use it until psoria comes in? I mentioned thinning of the skin, and she said that I wouldn't be using it long enough.
I feel like the only thing that people can point out is my acne. Yes, I have acne, but the enlarged pores and swollen feeling are what I'm focused on... She said that we would deal with the pores later...what's that supposed to mean? What, with lasers?

Sigh. You're right, blue. Dr. Heng is probably the only derm suitable for dealing with such issues.
VioletFox

PostPosted by meemz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Now that we all think that Dr.Heng is the only one derm suitable for dealing with such issues, I think you should email her or email Siana, the sales lady at sales@psoria-gold.com, and she will probably forward your email to Dr.Heng. About if you should use the steroid cream, I am really not sure if you should use it or not, but when it was first prescribed to me, I was really reluctant about using it and then told myself that I will not lose anything if I tried it and now I am paying the price.

I really understand what you are seeing that the derm you saw was not helpful. I have come to a realization that when derms see inflammation and red skin or any skin rash or problem or something that they are not able to diagnose, they will prescribe steroids. I suggest that you wait for the Psoria-Gold as it is a natural anti-inflammatory and won't cause harm especially that you mentioned that your case is not really bad, you can wait :). And for me the Psoria-gold helped with the inflammation more than all other types of steroids.

Thought to give you an advice :)
meemz

PostPosted by electricboom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Hey Violet,
I'm so sorry you are going through this too!
It's been almost a year and I've seen some healing, but not back to normal. if you go through my threads, I posted before and after pics. and what I have been doing/using in hope to get rid of this problem.
Im sure you'll heal faster, I'm 27...28 in April...I haven't used psoria gold and have had healing. I just use raw honey to wash my face and emu oil as a moisturizer usually at night and sometimes in the morning and i've seen
more improvement...I don't have internet at my house now because I moved but I will try to post more soon (Im at my school library ...decided to sneak on)...But I posted a new theread titled "retinol hope and healing" so hopefully it can help you.
I don't think your pore problem is permanant at all.
Take care
hugs
electricboom

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Violetfox, if you are having pore issue, Dr. Heng would recommend you get off dairy.
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by VioletFox » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 pm

I've stopped ever since I read that in another post. I will miss eating yogurt and cereal. :( but it's worth it.
VioletFox

PostPosted by jpnyc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 pm

You can still eat cereal and yogurt :D , just do soy instead of dairy. I made the switch to no dairy last week. Going to see if it helps, there are a lot of vegan options out there. It's definietly not the same, but it's easier than going cold turkey.
jpnyc

PostPosted by bluebuzz81 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Yes, I mean they have soy cheeze! Soy lattes, almond milk, it's not as difficult when u can start making those substitutions.
bluebuzz81

PostPosted by VioletFox » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:03 am

I knew of soy milk, but I didn't even think of soy yogurt! I guess I never noticed it in the grocery isle. That's awesome to hear.
I put some of the steroid cream on. Haven't noticed a big difference in inflammation yet, but maybe it takes a day or two. I just ordered PG. Siana is really nice.
I like hearing how it will help me, and I can't wait to try it. I got the expedited shipping, and she even said she'd send some samples of the different kinds.
I'm feeling better about things.
VioletFox

PostPosted by mugenman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:46 pm

It seems some people have had improvement with their skin texture by using retinoids while some have further damage. I've been on Retin-a for over three months after my Fraxel disaster and I'm certainly not seeing improvement in my skin texture or PIH. I would like to discontinue but I've started breaking out and I feel I should stick with it so I can treat the Retin-a induced acne. I'm trying to decide whether I should give it six months and taper a bit in order to decrease inflammation or perhaps just stop. I wish I could understand whether my textural change is in fact inflammation or permanent scarring. What's interesting is that I've encountered research that claims tretinoin has anti-inflammatory potential:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16045694

Can lower non-irritating doses inhibit inflammation?

Here's an interesting new chemical:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16055107

It's a fourth generation retinoid called "Seletinoid G". It is not yet available to purchase but there is view-able research. It works much like tretinoin but without the irritation even at high doses.

Take a look at the image above. Skin reactions to tretinoin compared to seletinoid G. My theory is that seletinoid may provide the anti-inflammatory benefits of tretinoin minus the inflammation. Wish I had access to that. I would be a guinea pig.
mugenman

PostPosted by painface » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:05 pm

for those who have used steroids to treat the inflammation?

What steroid(s) did you use, and how long did you use it? Have you stopped the steroid and if so how long did it take to get over the rebound flare ups?
painface

PostPosted by djamilia555 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:37 am

HELLO GIRLS i see that 2 years ago your skin had improvement. How does it look today very interesting?
djamilia555

PostPosted by cristeena » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi, I just posted my story in the new members section, but I wanted to post here too, even though this thread is old, in case someone find this in a google search the way I did about chemical damage.

Hi everyone, I have been reading threads on here for the past 2 months, and now I feel ready to share my story. I hope it is ok that I am here. I have not had laser, however years ago I had several dermabrasions, 1 TCA peel, etc and I used to over-exfoliate all the time with harsh acids and products. My skin was dehydrated and unhealthy looking with large pores for a lot of my youth, but the last 5-8 years or so, I had gotten it to be smooth, poreless, and beautiful, and I had a glow. 2 months ago, I did an 18% TCA peel that ruined my life and my results mirror so much of what Ive read about and seen on here. I decided to post my story because the last few days I have been having suicidal thoughts, and I am in a very dark place and feel the need to reach out because I am scared at this point, feeling desperate, and I dont want to do anything stupid. I have been sitting in my apartment crying all weekend, not wanting to check the mail, go grocery shopping, etc. Also, I wanted to post so that if someone reads this that was considering TCA peel, hopefully they will be dissuaded after hearing about my story as I feel it will only make things worse.

Dec 26, 2013, I did an at-home TCA peel 18% to try to even skin tone a bit and lessen 1 scar. This peel has hundreds of rave reviews, so not sure why i was the unlucky one. I am 30 years ago, and I now have the skin of an elderly person. Before the peel, I was very outgoing/social and always got complimented on my skin and I felt very attractive. Today, I do not have 1 nice area of skin, but my chin and forehead are the least damaged. My entire T-zone, especially cheeks are covered in very big open pores (bigger than ive ever seen in all the pics online I have found), deep indents, slash type scars, shiny red orange peel texture, brown areas, uneven areas where more skin peeled off than others, broken caps, holes, and wrinkly rough skin that burns sometimes. When I smile, I look even older. If I breakout now, my spots take very long time to go away and leave horrid scars even if i dont touch them. My skin is so thin that I am continuing to see new indents, holes, and slashes every day, and my pores just keep getting bigger and more stretched out looking. Just this morning, I woke up to a new indent.

I have been using honey to wash and emu to moisturize but not sure if its helping. Started taking hyaluronic acid supplements, collagen supplements, and fish oil and hoping these vitamins help even just some within the next year. I feel hopeless, alone, and I get no enjoyment whatsoever out of life anymore. I wake up, go to work, and spend most of my time at work researching about how to heal. I come home and cry and go to bed. My work productivity is suffering tremendously. At first I was coping ok having read stories of women with retin-a damage who saw a lot of healing, but for every good story I read, I read 5 more stories that end badly with no healing. Recently learned retin-a damage is similar to chemical peel damage. I hope I am not offending anyone on here since I have not had thermal damage, but I feel I am experiencing similar psychological damage, and I could not find any other type of support groups for chemical burn damage. Thank you for reading, I just need to feel less alone and more hopeful, I cant keep living this way, I have shut everyone out. I wish you all more healing, xoxo.
cristeena

PostPosted by BrokenPorcelain » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:53 am

cristeena,
Do you have any other symptoms?
I also had my skin in great condition and then stupidly used Tazorac, a retinoid, for a small amount of harmless acne (the kind you get from simply not washing your face) and now I'm suffering numerous side effects..I am also pretty much suicidal over this..if this doesn't go away, then I might be the one going away,
Can't stand this.
BrokenPorcelain

Previous

Return to Support for New Members (PUBLIC)