Burned By IPL

Resources on IPL Side Effects, Complications, and Research

Burned By IPL

PostPosted by DCNGA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:51 pm

These are pictures of a young lady from 2006 who was burned at a med spa by an IPL treatment:

http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?u ... LWPGgAPPwQ

Zero Stars for Dr. Sanford Schnoll, the dermatologic surgeon of ANEU Professional Skin & Laser Center whom advised me to get his preferred procedure called Intense Pulsed Light Photorejuevenation, acronym (IPL) that left its hypopigmentation scarring for my wedding day.

Prepare yourself brides-to-be; When seeking real help for your wedding day skin, ANEU can make you look your-very-worst.

Eight weeks before our wedding, I decided to get my first ever facial at age 27. As an early adopter of self-maintenance, I decided a wedding facial was going to be the one exception to my self-sufficient convictions. At 16, my paycheck just didnt cut it for a-day-at-the-spa-with-the-girls and adversity for me, quickly became the breeding ground of opportunity.

Upon entering ANEU, I felt dizzied making the right choice for my face so I took the advice of a professional who I believed at the time, clearly had more medical expertise than I did.

After my same-day consultation with Schnoll, I felt that microdermabrasion was clearly for me. I had a serious bout with acne as a kid and it left my face with scarring indentations that I hadnt had the reason to battle until now. Most people know that microdermabrasion is a procedure used to smooth out acne scarring. I knew this much to be true.

To my surprise, Schnoll adamantly disagreed with my request for microdermabrasion and decided that my best chance of glowing skin would come in the form of an IPL Photorejuevenation procedure. I was 27 without age spots, without broken capillaries from binge drinking or benign brown pigments from God-knows-what or poikiloderma-anything.

I did have facial imperfections from my acne scarring and so it goes, I fell for ANEUs location-location-location credibility and the advice of a specialty physician.

Let it be known: 1 session of microdermabrasion costs much less than the required 5 sessions required of IPL. I was beyond devastated but managed to salvage my pride. But, in lieu of making excuses for Schnolls medical negligence now part of my face, I moved forward.

I sent a certified mail document to ANEU stating my disappointment with graphic cause and effect photos shown here. In my letter, I requested Schnoll please grant me a full refund of my IPL cost of $1500.00. He never replied.

The day after my IPL procedure, I returned to speak with Schnoll. The receptionist took one look at my face and her eyes bulged like a dog who spies treats. Nervously, she fumbled and asked me to wait in the back while she alerted Schnoll. Schnoll looked at me and immediately scurried me into a private room. FYI: there were now other patient who appeared as frightened by the look of my face as the mirrors I'd been avoiding. The pain was immense. The raw sting of the IPL burn kept me hiding in darkness.

Our wedding was planned for outdoor, daytime hours. Irony ensues. Laying like a wilted vegetable behind closed doors on his office gurney, I learned my fate was irreversible in time for our wedding.

Schnoll said he was sorry. When I asked Schnoll if this had ever happened to anyone else he performed IPL on, he said, "Yes, only one other." I asked to see their before and after photos. He said he couldn't show them to me because he needed permission of the client. My guess is that if he couldnt show me the damage, God only knows what happened to that person.

My face couldve sunken a thousand ships; facial skin damage control was beyond wedding day repair. Drama ensues and my saving grace came from a man who calls himself The Miracle Worker, with good reason, Alan Friedman. Alan was contacted by a friend who knew a thing about Hollywood make-up artists. The Emmy Award winning make-up artist (for Star Trek) got word of my facial fiasco and graciously agreed to help.

Dr. Schnoll never attempted to contact me to remedy his negligence. He taught me that he is a doctor who cares more about his wallet than the well-being of his own patients. Though ambulance chasers would've salivated over taking my personal injury case, I didn't sue for malpractice.

With that said, think wisely before stepping foot into ANEU, you may leave with a swollen face, full of regret.
"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

Return to IPL