Biafine Ingredients

This area provides information on name brand products that our members have tried or used in an attempt to treat their damage. Some products have been useful and others have not. "For Profit" website and, product mentions should be kept to this area only. These products include topical skin care, supplements, makeup, sunblock, etc.

Biafine Ingredients

PostPosted by Hummbird123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 am

Purified water, liquid paraffin, ethylene glycol monostearate, stearic acid, propylene glycol, paraffin wax, squalane, avocado oil, trolamine/sodium alginate, triethanolamine, cetyl palmitate, methylparaben (sodium salt), sorbic acid (potassium salt), propylparaben (sodium salt) and fragrance.
My experiences, thoughts and recommendendations for healing after device damage.
post11655.html#p11655 I am Erica now on this forum.
Hummbird123
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Biafine Ingredients

PostPosted by DCNGA » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 am

This is good info as well:

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/3DE16.htm

Biafine, a leading wound, radiodermatitis and burn care product in Europe, has been used for more than two decades by physicians, fire departments, emergency room personnel and radiation therapy facilities.

Healing results from a complex series of cellular and biochemical processes. Macrophages are cells which aid the healing process in several ways, including the removal of foreign particles and microorganisms. Macrophages occur in the walls of blood vessels and are usually immobile until stimulated by inflammation resulting from a wound or infection.

The healing process consists of three phases: 1) inflammation, during which macrophages assist in autolytic debridement, the removal of dead cells and tissue debris from the wound site; 2) proliferation, in which macrophages stimulate the production and activity of fibroblasts, cells responsible for the production of materials essential to healing such as collagen; and 3) maturation, when fibroblast proliferation promotes multiplication and growth of skin cells through chemical messengers such as fibroblast growth factor and macrophage-derived growth factor.

The unique formulation of Biafine recruits macrophages to the wound site during all three phases.

Biafine WDE can be used for a variety of full and partial thickness dermal wounds, including dermal, vascular, arterial, diabetic and pressure ulcers, as well as first and second degree burns. The product is a fluid, yet firm, emulsion that will conform to the contours of a wound and is available in 45-ml and 100-ml tubes. Biafine WDE can be used safely with topical antibiotics.

According to the most recent data available from the National Center for Health Statistics, in 1992, there were a total of 34 million emergency room visits that were injury-related, generating over $9.2 billion US in healthcare costs. Wound care was performed at approximately one-third of these visits.

In addition to wounds resulting from surgery or injury, Biafine WDE can be used for dermal ulcers, which are open sores on any external surface of the body. Diabetics often suffer from dermal ulcers, usually on their feet. Biafine WDE can also be used for pressure ulcers, known more commonly as bedsores. Pressure ulcers occur in five to nine percent of all hospitalized patients and in 23 percent of all nursing home patients.

Biafine WDE can also be used for chronic or delayed healing wounds. Application of Biafine WDE can renew the healing process in wounds that have not yet healed for years.

In addition, Biafine WDE can be used for the management of first and second degree burns. First degree burns are classified as those that involve only the epidermis (outermost layer of the skin) and are most commonly the result of overexposure to ultraviolet radiation, such as sunburn. Second degree burns are usually flash burns or the result of scalds.

Radiation therapy is used to treat many kinds of cancer in almost any part of the body. One common side effect of radiation therapy is radiodermatitis, in which the skin in the treatment area begins to look reddened, irritated or burned. Radiation-treated skin may also develop a moist reaction, especially where there are skin folds and may become very sore. Patients given radiation therapy for breast cancer are especially at risk for radiodermatitis. Biafine RE is available in 45-ml and 20-ml tubes as a prophylaxis against radiodermatitis and for the management of the condition.

If a skin reaction occurs after radiation therapy, Biafine RE can be applied as a wound dressing to manage radiodermatitis. In more severe cases of radiodermatitis, it should be applied in thick layers and may be covered with a gauze dressing if necessary.

"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by Greeneyes777 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Anything with ethylene, parabens or propylene glycol in it makes me wonder about it. Wonder if anyone on this forum has tried it yet? Although, I'm just desperate enough to try it myself.
Greeneyes777

PostPosted by DCNGA » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:42 pm

I used it but it was at least 3 mos. post procedure. The optimal time to use Biafine is as soon after the burn/procedure as possible. That is when it can help the most. Beyond a few weeks of damage, I'm not sure how helpful it would be.

"If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
DCNGA

PostPosted by Erica » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Greeneyes, I know of only one person who was given Biafine right away and she credits it with preventing major scarring after her IPL burns. It was a miracle product for her. But, like D said, I don't think it does much unless it's used right away. I keep it in my medicine cabinet for burns. Last summer my family neglected to wear sunscreen to an outing and when they came home with sunburned faces, they used it and it worked great. I don't worry too much about the chemicals in it because it's a short-term use product.

Have you seen the thread on curcumin gel/Psoriagold? It's a long one! lol It may be of interest to you.
“It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Erica

PostPosted by sophie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:12 pm

In case it hasn't been mentioned, I just wanted to say that the same active ingredient in Biafine is also in some OTC arthritis/sports pain reliever creams, such as Aspercreme. You can get 3 oz. of generic creme for under $4 at Walmart, for example. It does have parabens like Biafine, but it is fragrance-free. If this has already been said on the forum I apologize for repeating, just hoping to contribute a little useful info if it might help someone - if they wanted to pick some up locally, spend less money, etc. HTH.

Here are the ingredients in Aspercreme: Active Ingredients: Trolamine Salicylate (10%, Topical Analgesic)

Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Methylparaben, Mineral Oil, Potassium Phosphate, Propylparaben, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Water
sophie

PostPosted by DCNGA » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Interesting. Thank you!

DCNGA

Return to Brand Name Product Mentions and Reviews (PUBLIC)